The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

1 minute ago, Brewster McCloud said:

The fact that the brands are making shitloads for the owners? Just a thought. 

Here are some facts and figures for you: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2016/07/12/ufc-vs-wwe-how-much-more-is-real-fighting-worth/#2176424850f0

UFC and WWE make loads of money? No shit!!!!! My whole point is that the value of the business and therefore the profit going to the owners is correlated to the drawing power of the stars they have.

I'm genuinely not sure what an article from 3 years ago about UFCs sale has got to do with your point? If anything it backs up what I am saying.

UFC was valued insanely high in 2016 when it was sold. Why do you think that is? "BECAUSE OF THE STRENGTH OF THE BRAND" I hear you scream. Hold on though, actually think about this. Why was THE BRAND~! so strong at the time? Was it perhaps because in 2015, UFC had multiple McGregor and Rousey fights? Of course it was.

As an example, lets just say that Bellator somehow managed to sign up McGregor and Rousey in late 2015. Do you genuinely believe the value of the UFC would be quite so high to prospective buyers in 2016?

4 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

UFC and WWE make loads of money? No shit!!!!! My whole point is that the value of the business and therefore the profit going to the owners is correlated to the drawing power of the stars they have.

I'm genuinely not sure what an article from 3 years ago about UFCs sale has got to do with your point? If anything it backs up what I am saying.

UFC was valued insanely high in 2016 when it was sold. Why do you think that is? "BECAUSE OF THE STRENGTH OF THE BRAND" I hear you scream. Hold on though, actually think about this. Why was THE BRAND~! so strong at the time? Was it perhaps because in 2015, UFC had multiple McGregor and Rousey fights? Of course it was.

As an example, lets just say that Bellator somehow managed to sign up McGregor and Rousey in late 2015. Do you genuinely believe the value of the UFC would be quite so high to prospective buyers in 2016?

I'm not screaming anything. You start off with stars who build the brand until it becomes a... thing. You, I, and everyone else who watches WWE, UFC or even Bellator are mere pawns in the game - they get our attention and sell advertising. Of course people like McGregor and Rousey will bump up business temporarily, but that's not the long term goal - it's getting you to watch the product and not going on Instagram to post pics of your amazing dinner. I'm a mark like everyone else - I'll still watch it even if there's no Rousey present. They win. And I kind of win too, because - guess what - I like the brand.

So just to be clear...your whole argument is that you start off with stars, the stars build the brand but once the brand is established you don't need stars anymore?

I mean that's nonsense isn't it mate? Come on. Its quite simple.

• When there are big, over, money drawing stars = loads of people will watch the shows, buy the merch, buy the PPVs, attend the shows. Everyone makes more money.
  • When there are no real stars = Only the diehards will stick around and keep things afloat.

Vince would give up a bollock for a Hogan or Austin right now because as weird as he is, he still understands the business deep down.

3 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Well they kind of have been repeatedly trying for years though haven't they?

No. Daniel Bryan and Brock escaped, pretty much by accident, and you could say there was a sort of determined attempt to make Reigns something bigger than he'd ever be, but nah, man, they really haven't tried to create a new Hogan because why would they bother?

4 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

No. Daniel Bryan and Brock escaped, pretty much by accident, and you could say there was a sort of determined attempt to make Reigns something bigger than he'd ever be, but nah, man, they really haven't tried to create a new Hogan because why would they bother?

They escaped by accident? What is this filth?

What about Cena?

Roman Reigns was clearly a multi year project to make a giant star which didn't really work out like they thought.

Tried with Seth as a top heel and top babyface. Neither worked particularly well.

What about the enormous Becky push only this year?

Just because they haven't succeeded doesn't mean they haven't tried. You cant just CREATE a new Hogan. As much as people can laugh at the Hulkster now, he is a once in generation talent.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

Right. Cena. Someone who will go on talkshows and present an acceptable face of the company. Someone who can speak a bit of Chinese and get away with it. He was useful, but now what's he doing? Starring in romcoms and not taking bumps, living the life of Riley. Vince doesn't want another cos the brand sells itself. Why, if you're him, wake up in the morning and think to yourself "damnit, pal, how do I make another John Cena?"