Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

In terms of singles, I think he was a bit unlucky. If he'd got to where he was in 1999/2000 a couple of years earlier with his size and speed I think he would have had a shot at making it around the upper echelon. Unfortunately for him, by the time he was ready, the thing had exploded. The guys on top were super-over in an unprecedented way and the guys working just below like Angle, Jericho and Benoit were working incredible matches with a real sense of realism.

From his point of view, I also think he lacked confidence when he was on his own. He almost froze in interviews. He just never carried himself the same when he was on his own. That didn't stop guys like Davey & Luger making it big so I think in a different time and place, he could have had success.

Don't think it helped that any time he was on his own as a singles babyface he was like a watered down version of the Outlaws' Billy Gunn that was mega over, The One Billy Gunn being the best example

I'm sure it was in part down to some of the crowd being a bit smarky and preferring the heel great technical wrestler but when Benoit beat him for the IC title at the end of 2000 everyone was happy, he just had nothing in common with the DX/Outlaws version of himself other than still being called Billy Gunn

• Paid Members

Watching John Kronus is baffling. 

From what I've seen of him anyways. He could do some really impressive moves and some complex sequences but literally spends every second shadowing Perry Saturn waiting for instructions throughout the match. 

I'm guessing he goes solo at some point (Just got to ECW 1997). Can't see it ending well. His solo run not his eventual death. 

• Paid Members

Because John Kronus was "mildly retarded". He got benefits each month. Kronus' career was over once Saturn left. He was still around, sure, but you couldnt do anything with him to the level of the Eliminators because nobody would put up with him like Saturn did. Saturn drove him around, did his paperwork and all sorts. Those promos where he'd be all "whooo, hee-hee" and all that shite was all you could get out of him because he was way out there.

I'll never forget Jamie Dundee's shoot promo on him on an episode of ECW Hardcore TV when he said "the difference between me and you is, I dumped my partner, and you're partner dumped your dumb ass. And the reason he dumped your dumb ass is because you're a fucking retard, that's why."

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I tell you who doesn't hold up anymore? Shane Douglas. His promos are absolutely fucking rotten with 2015 eyes. And his work in the ring is shite as well. I'd be hard pressed to think of one good promo or good match he's had since 1999. And he wasnt on One Night Stand. So pretty much his entire career from promoting to wrestling to speaking in the last 15/16 years has been pretty terrible. I mean it must have been all Heyman with him, because Douglas was shit everywhere else expect in ECW.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

On Saturns youshoot I'm sure he tells a story about getting Kronus to drive while he got some sleep and when he woke up they were in bumblefuck usa miles past where they were heading in a sort of "watch the kettle" so he stands there and watch's it boil dry sort of way.

Edited by Tommy!

I tell you who doesn't hold up anymore? Shane Douglas. His promos are absolutely fucking rotten with 2015 eyes. And his work in the ring is shite as well. I'd be hard pressed to think of one good promo or good match he's had since 1999. And he wasnt on One Night Stand. So pretty much his entire career from promoting to wrestling to speaking in the last 15/16 years has been pretty terrible. I mean it must have been all Heyman with him, because Douglas was shit everywhere else expect in ECW.

Just try watching Pro Wrestlers vs Zombies and see how bad his acting is.

One terrible movie which stars Douglas, Piper, Duggan, Angle, Matt Hardy, Reby Sky and a few indy guys.

• Paid Members

Do people still hate Roman Reigns? Because he's been pretty great over the past two months. Good performances every week, even with Kane and Big Show and the fans seem to be getting behind him more and more slowly but steadily each week.

• Paid Members

I've not really seen it mentioned anywhere else, but I bet the decision makers in WWE feel vindicated in choosing Roman over Bryan earlier in the year with how everything has fallen into place. Bryan's proven himself to be as injury prone as they thought he was, whilst Roman has provided match of the year candidates with both Lesnar and Big Show.

Funny how things turn out. They were absolutely spot on.

Edited by Supremo