Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I'm a huge fan of the Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho, and I discovered this gem where he appears on "What's My Line?" The lady whose profession the panellists have to guess is a professional wrestler by the name of Judy Grable. Anyone ever heard of her?

• Paid Members

I think Judy Grable was even pre-Moolah. If memory is correct she was a fuckign shooter as well, and had some shoot situation after he husband who was also her promoter, dicked about with another lady wrestler. I might be completely wrong but I'm sure a story like that involved Grable. She's apparently held in some high regard for being a pre-Moolah pioneer for women's wrestling. Moolah was also a complete cunt who's reputation is really sullen when you look into her.

Watched Zayn vs. Owens at Takeover for the first time. I haven't seen much of either of them. The match was completely forgettable for me. I'd heard Owens was a great brawler but I can't look past the fact he looks like a fan and I don't think he was anything special brawling anyway. I Know people have said Zayn is the natural successor to Bryan, and that could be the position he takes, but for me he's not as good.

I'm just not a fan of this style. Why do WWE have dives to the outside all the time now? Why is Zayn doing a half nelson suplex on Owens? I never felt the title was in jeapordy or cared. I don't know what the consensus was at the time, but it wasn't for me.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

It isn't a match you can just watch and enjoy on its own merits. To "get" it you have to have been watching the previous 2 months of NXT. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is up for discussion, I guess.

They gave it a hype video beforehand. I feel I could have watched any of the Jericho vs. Mysterio matches with a hype video and enjoyed them. Different styles of course, but I think a match should be good as a standalone match and can be enjoyed even more in context.

Comparing a cruiser match to a feud ending match that was about telling a story within the confines of its own context is ridiculous. I'd probably enjoy rewatching a Super Crazy vs Psychosis flip fest more than a 1985 Hogan match but that doesn't mean the Crazy vs Psychosis matches were better. Never understood why fans complain about not enjoying a match or show when they watch it out of context. "I didn't enjoy watching Raw half as much as I thought I would when I read the spoilers."

Well, in this case the cruiser match was better. Ok, I haven't seen the two months build, but WWE are top class at producing video packages. I understood the story. I've seen matches of Zayn in NXT before, though haven't followed NXT every week. There wasn't much drama. I just didn't buy it and I didn't buy them. I didn't believe any animosity between them. Is Owens meant to be a tough bastard? Can't see that on WWE's main TV.

Why do WWE have dives to the outside all the time now?

I'm curious about this one as well. Loads of wrestlers are doing them unnecessarily, to the point where most of them don't mean anything. I guess it's just part of the style now, like punches and kicks. Except more dangerous.