Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

With the first Taz vs Bam Bam having such an epic finish, I've always hated their rematch where Taz DDT's him through the ramp and it's clearly paper. It looks terrible! Which is a shame as up til that point the rematch was better than the first match. 

Was Bam Bam putting Taz through the ring the first time that's happened?

Edited by LaGoosh

It's certainly the first time I remember a bump going through the ring. You had Taker drag Diesel through the ring in February 96, but that wasn't from a bump. You then had WWF stealing the ECW spot ("which was the styyyyle at the time") when you had Big Show choke slam Taker through the ring on RAW in 99

Was watching a clip on YouTube of The Rock and Big Show interacting for the first time on Raw in 99. Why did they call Show by his real name for a while back then?

• Paid Members

Was watching a clip on YouTube of The Rock and Big Show interacting for the first time on Raw in 99. Why did they call Show by his real name for a while back then?

Because they didn't know what to call him. Prior to debut they were thinking of calling him Titan, but they realized that was lame so when he first appeared they referred to him just as Paul Wight. Then the "Big Nasty" Paul Wight, then * I think * they did actually call him "The Big Show" Paul Wight once or twice before just settling on The Big Show.

I've always thought "Big Show" is a terrible name, personally.

• Paid Members

In an era where everyone was booked great, the first month of booking for Big Show in WWF was shockingly bad. Just awful, it cut the bollocks off Big Show himself, the Rock/Austin feud and the Austin/McMahon feud.

• Paid Members

Didn't he get called the Great Wight for a short while too? Or have I made that one up?

Pretty sure they did

The WWF never did, no.

I think that's what he called himself on the Indy show against Hogan in Memphis. He subbed for Lawler after WWE pulled him from the show.

That, I couldn't tell you.

In an era where everyone was booked great, the first month of booking for Big Show in WWF was shockingly bad. Just awful, it cut the bollocks off Big Show himself, the Rock/Austin feud and the Austin/McMahon feud.

You want to run that by me again? I don't think anything they did with Big Show had any detriment to Rock/Austin, the Big Show/Mankind referee feud was just a side dish to the Rock/Austin main event at Mania, then Rock and Austin wrestled again at the first Backlash just for fun, The End. I can't see any bollocks being cut off there.

The only thing they fucked up for me in connection with Austin was a potential Austin/Show program which PS and the sheets were talking up the WWF as having high hopes for, which they managed to kind of kill any anticipation for by giving away their first match for free on a Raw before Mania which Austin won clean via Stunner.

But yeah, they brought Show/Giant/Wight in looking like a force then hamstrung him by shit booking within 6 months. I don't know if he ever recovered to the level that they could have/wanted him to be. Every time thereafter that he was positioned as even being the challenger in a PPV title match - never mind actually win one of the world titles - I always reacted with "Big Show?? Really??"

• Paid Members

You want to run that by me again? I don't think anything they did with Big Show had any detriment to Rock/Austin, the Big Show/Mankind referee feud was just a side dish to the Rock/Austin main event at Mania, then Rock and Austin wrestled again at the first Backlash just for fun, The End. I can't see any bollocks being cut off there.

I rewatched this period recently and the month long build-up from St Valentines Day to Wrestlemania was focused more on The Rock and Austin both hating Big Show and what side Big Show was on. Outside the beer bash incident there was pretty much no interaction between Rock and Austin in the whole build up to Wrestlemania 15. And Vince was busy trying to get Big Show and The Rock to get along with each other (and The Undertaker coming after him) to focus on Austin at all which at the time felt totally jarring and underwhelming. Austin felt like a bit of a loose end for the most part. Luckily the build up between Wrestlemania and Backlash was absolutely amazing however.

• Paid Members

Didn't he get called the Great Wight for a short while too? Or have I made that one up?

Pretty sure they did

The WWF never did, no.

I think that's what he called himself on the Indy show against Hogan in Memphis. He subbed for Lawler after WWE pulled him from the show.

That, I couldn't tell you.

Yes, he did that show as "The Great" Paul Wight.

He also referred to Big Show as his "slave name".

• Paid Members

I especially loved that fucking weird bit at the end where Cesaro for no reason climbed on the guard rail, grabbed Big E and they did some kind of weird roly poly to the ground. I was laughing my arse off.