Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I remember they announced a few years ago that the Austin 3:16 shirt sold the most by a ridiculous margin. The current crop of merch doesn't even come close to it. It was in stores from HMV in the UK to the biggest store in New York. It was everywhere. The nWo shirt was the biggest selling shirt before the 3:16 one as well. It goes to show how hot wrestling was when you had merchandise sales being broke over a period of about 18 months.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I remember they announced a few years ago that the Austin 3:16 shirt sold the most by a ridiculous margin. The current crop of merch doesn't even come close to it. It was in stores from HMV in the UK to the biggest store in New York. It was everywhere. The nWo shirt was the biggest selling shirt before the 3:16 one as well. It goes to show how hot wrestling was when you had merchandise sales being broke over a period of about 18 months.

Did HMV ever sell the original Austin 3:16 one? They must have done, but it was never in stock when I went. I remember the DX jersey and loads of shitter Austin ones, and maybe the red 3:16 one, but never the original. Oddly enough, I've never seen anyone wearing one either except at wrestling shows. I used to see people in town in the Stone Cold University one and that half cyborg face one, but never the original. It was good when HMV and shops sold proper wrestling t-shirts. Then it turned to shite and the only wrestling shirts were in Forbidden planet, the ones with the wrestler photos on like this:

93f71a14.jpg

And I think even that stopped in about 2005.

• Paid Members

In 1998 I can count the "Wrong side Jackass" shirt, the "Stone Cold University" one, the skeleton snakes head, the 100% Pure Whoopass shirt, the original Austin 3:16 shirt, the Red Austin 3:16 Blood Stone t-shirt, he had a large skeleton coloured camouflage, a one which said "Wanna Raise Some Hell?", he had a white baseball shirt and he had a spin off line of Celebrity Death Match shirts as well. Austin might have had more shirts out in 1998 than Cena ever has. He had dozens per year out. And people bought them as well.

I remember when he came back in 2000, he had about 4 out before Christmas and he wore them all on TV.

Don't know why there's no Raw thread so I'll post this here, Wade Barrett being announced from Preston is ace, did my head in billing him from Manchester

That being said, there's probably people from Penwortham pissed off he's not billed from there

Penwortham likes to pride itself as being posh, but is infact a shit hole. I doubt the people of Penwortham will give a rats arse though. Wade's return did make it to the LEP so that's something I guess

In 1998 I can count the "Wrong side Jackass" shirt, the "Stone Cold University" one, the skeleton snakes head, the 100% Pure Whoopass shirt, the original Austin 3:16 shirt, the Red Austin 3:16 Blood Stone t-shirt, he had a large skeleton coloured camouflage, a one which said "Wanna Raise Some Hell?", he had a white baseball shirt and he had a spin off line of Celebrity Death Match shirts as well. Austin might have had more shirts out in 1998 than Cena ever has. He had dozens per year out. And people bought them as well.

I remember when he came back in 2000, he had about 4 out before Christmas and he wore them all on TV.

The ones in the 2000 comeback were fucking rank too. Just a right big mess of colours and fonts and allsorts. Looked terribly dated and not in fitting with his character. Well, his character then was a hugely unlikeable prick that cunted up the show and the fun we were all having. I'm not sure how you would reflect that on a t-shirt. This slew of utter wank t-shirts culminated in that piss poor Austin 3:16 shirt he had around Mania and early in his heel run (although that red skull with yellow smoke oddly looked good on a hat on Paul Heyman's silly head). The "Do Unto Others" one was okay, but still not a patch on the golden era of his shirts, and they've mostly been stinkers since then. "Unleash Hell" and "Arrive, Be Dead Hard, Leave" and all that shite. No ta.

Though it doesn't fit, and it's gone greyish, I still treasure my original Austin 3:16 shirt, with the lovely ice blue block WWF Logo on the back and the letters cracking on the front in the same way the VAUX logos on all my Sunderland shirts would do. It deserved to sell 80 gazillion units, that one. What a simple little masterpiece of a wrestling t-shirt.

• Paid Members

I just stumbled across this:

61123_148981871801423_4731652_n.jpg

A picture in desperate need of a back story.

EDIT: Found another one. Seems to be some kind of promotional advertisement for a Warlord appearance.

60046_148981798468097_1472791_n.jpg

Which begs the question ... who the fuck would go to all that trouble?