Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The Alliance got bummed so hard that night. Cena last year and Nexus five years ago didn't get squashed half that bad.

The Rock's Sharpshooter in the main is absolutely the worst application of any submission hold I've ever seen.

Shane McMahon is fantastic in that match though. And takes one of the best Clotheslines from hell ever.

"Steph McJugs" is a great sign.

My best friend from secondary school quit following wrestling cold turkey straight after that show. He'd been following it in minute detail for years. Says a lot about the content and moreover what it all meant. Though Austin vs Angle had good action.

• Paid Members

Which one is it? Is it the Disturbed version?

No, it's the really shit one he had between Disturbed and his turn back to babyface and reverting to pre-Disturbed the night after Survivors.

The Alliance got bummed so hard that night.

Indeed. I always think of the word "castrated". PS said at the time they might have called the show "The WWF Strikes Back." They twatted the WCW guys for three titles in one night.

• Paid Members

Whenever I hear that show mentioned, all I can think of is all of DDP's remaining credibility coming in to the WWF being left in that steel cage.

Yeah. The SummerSlam logo might as well have been DDP's shitty pleather pants he showed up in, because when I think of that show, I see DDP getting a good kicking off the Undertaker and Kane. DDP was as much to blame to be fair. I dont think anyone was so ill prepared to come into the WWF like he did. He's quite overbearing as well, so that must not have went down well with the locker room leader. Apparently Undertaker hated him because he'd take Fuji bumps for Undertaker's offense.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Imagine being Undertaker, no doubt the most humourless bastard on the planet to start with, and this 70 year old bloke comes up to you acting like he's your best mate and giving you a script he's written for your match with him. And on top of that, he's from the terrible company that's gone bust and he's taken a massive pay cut to join the WWF because he's a big mark.

DDP dug his own grave and filled it with shit before he jumped in. It's a shame as well, because he was really good at times in WCW. And even in the WWF, his self-help character was enjoyable. I'd love to see him back for a little feud (or at least a one-off bit) with Bo Dallas or New Day.

Edited by King Pitcos

Yeah, I was just watching that. You'd think he could do at least a little singles match on a pay-per-view or Raw. One way to spice up the midcard who have all wrestled each other loads of times is to bring back old names for short runs like the Outlaws do now and again, and Dally would be up near the top of the list for me if he's up for it.

• Paid Members

According to Kanyon, he was willing to kill himself for that match to be great. He was coming up with all kinds of spots (like a fucking double chokeslam of the top of the cage!) and Undertaker said "no, just walk out and leave your partner." Its funny how the match was solely designed to kill DDP's career. Like nothing more than that. There was no where else to go back then, so if the WWF buried you, you were pretty much fucked. Its quite hilarious in a sad sort of way.

Poor Dallas. With his notepad full of moves. "These are the moves you're going to do Glenn."

EDIT: Even typing that makes me confused. How did he think he could work a program with the Undertaker and tell him what order his moves should be in? Just fucking madness.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I do feel sorry for DDP. He does seem like such a decent guy for pro-wrestling. That Pitcos post from Taker's POV is hilarious and if it was anyone else, you'd imagine it was them thinking they were the big fucking star but with DDP you just feel that even though he was a reasonably big star - it was just utter naivety. He really wanted to work, he wanted shit to be good and he wanted to get everything over.

Poor bastard walked into an environment where everyone thought he was a cunt before he started.

Highlight of SummerSlam 2001 BTW is Stasiak trying to attack The Rock. Something else I'd forgotten was on there.