Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Cena has the strongest, most well established and developed, real, consistent character going.

That is all well and true, but it doesnt mean that character will be fun for everyone to watch. I don't care if its a strong character if its one that does not appeal to me. I'm sure Corrie and Eastenders have some brilliant characters too, but if they are targeted towards middle aged women then why would that interest me?

• Paid Members
Cena is simply the most unlikeable headliner in wwe/wwf history. What are these claims about hes a big match performer etc.. about. Hes had 2 good main event matches ever in my opinion. Punk, then umamga and umanga wasnt the real main event. Who else? Pls dont say hbk, they were long boring shitfests. Hbk prob has 100 matches better than that. Cena maybe one. Doesnt that tell you something. Cenas terrible. Hes a facking mag and danny dyer needs to stick the nut on him nxt time his steroid stiff big arsed body is on these shores.

You're a fucking berk.

For such a perfect human being, Cena's not very good at giving other wrestlers the rub of his stardom. Edge maybe benefitted from his feud with Cena, but he lacks that Flair-like ability to make the latest challenger seem like a credible threat to his title because he usually treats everything like a joke. When he is intense it's great but far too often he indulges in shit comedy to the detriment of all. He's not an idiot, he knows how to get heat, so it's baffling that he still wants to make rubbish jokes to no response.

• Paid Members
Cena has the strongest, most well established and developed, real, consistent character going.

Indeed he does but not 100% of the time, no-one in wrestling has managed that. Cena's bad days are maybe so glaringly obvious to me because he is that good.

Bret Hart.

Maxwell, I can understand why Cena wouldn't appeal to someone, he doesn't massively to me particilarly. I do however, find his evolution, the evolution of his character and how it's been handled quite fascinating. I actually think what Cena is and represents was the inevitable next top guy in WWE following the 80's and 90's booms.

I think the key to enjoying Cena on the mic is to only really pay attention to what he says when he is selling a feud and having a verbal battle with someone else. His heated exchanges are really good. When Cena is in the ring on his own claiming to 'entertain' whilst he smiles at the camera whilst extending the microphone to a section of the crowd booing him, talking about how his current nemesis used to have his respect and then talk about the good time that the WWE universe are going to have tonight it feels like he is more of a compere for the evening rather than 'the man'.

Cena's opening segments from the build up to Wrestlemania such as the week before the big show had the crowd chanting 'Boring'. The crowd were chanting anything but 'boring' when Cena begins letting the crowd know why he needs to win the match.

Indeed he does but not 100% of the time, no-one in wrestling has managed that. Cena's bad days are maybe so glaringly obvious to me because he is that good.

Bret Hart.

Maxwell, I can understand why Cena wouldn't appeal to someone, he doesn't massively to me particilarly. I do however, find his evolution, the evolution of his character and how it's been handled quite fascinating. I actually think what Cena is and represents was the inevitable next top guy in WWE following the 80's and 90's booms.

Do you mean it's inevitable he wouldn't create another boom period? He's had 10 years in which to do so.

I can understand why Cena wouldn't appeal to someone, he doesn't massively to me particilarly. I do however, find his evolution, the evolution of his character and how it's been handled quite fascinating. I actually think what Cena is and represents was the inevitable next top guy in WWE following the 80's and 90's booms.

I 100% agree on the first part of your statement. I enjoy the split opinion, crowd reactions and his evolution as a whole a lot more than anything he actually does. The second part I don't agree with.

Wrestling should reflect pop culture of the time. It should bounce off what is the general public enjoy. When we had the Attitude era the world was going nuts for Jerry Springer and South Park. Now we have programs that are a lot more intelligent, with complicated plots and serious characters. People don't want their intelligence insulted anymore

Now we have programs that are a lot more intelligent, with complicated plots and serious characters. People don't want their intelligence insulted anymore

Primetime Broadcast Total Viewership for the week:

Rank Shows Net # Viewers (Live+SD) (000)

1 NCIS-04/30/2013 CBS 18289

2 Big Bang Theory, THE-05/02/2013 CBS 16288

3 Dancing with the Stars-04/29/2013 ABC 13454

4 NCIS: LOS ANGELES-04/30/2013 CBS 13065

5 Person Of Interest-05/02/2013 CBS 12956

6 VOICE-04/29/2013 NBC 12674

7 Two and a Half Men-05/02/2013 CBS 12121

8 VOICE-TUE-04/30/2013 NBC 11836

9 American Idol-THURSDAY-05/02/2013 FOX 11269

10 American Idol-WEDNESDAY-05/01/2013 FOX 11259

• Paid Members

We currently live in the era where we want our heads in the sand, I'd say. TV is filled with faker than fake celebrities. The Miz main evented a WrestleMania. That wouldn't have happened when South Park and Jackass were what the cool kids were talking about. Times move on. Its the era of the "let's pretend its real" reality show. Where there are 4 cameras and a producer with a boom mic hanging over a woman crying about losing her boyfriend. WWE wanted Dog The Bounty Hunter to work WrestleMania a few years back and when they couldn't agree a deal, they got Snooki instead.

Wrestling invented reality TV if you think about it. WWF were conning the marks long before Jersey Shore did.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay