Back to back goals from same bloke.

air_raid

• Paid Members

mario-balotelli-why-always-me.jpg

Super Mario brace in the 6-1 win at Old Trafford against Manchester United.

So the day before this game Super Mario is letting off fireworks in his bathroom and the media are all over it. City's number one Striker Carlos Tevez is unavailable so people had both eyes on Mario to see if he could lead the line in such a big game and i'm pretty sure people thought it was highly unlikely he would deliver.

So into the game and it's 50/50 when Milner pulls back the ball to edge of box and Mario with his body facing one direction and his foot the other places the ball right in the corner. Great goal.

Capped off with one of the more famous celebrations in recent years when he lifts his top and reveals a "Why Always Me?" t-shirt.

Gets Evans sent off which is always a bonus

The 2nd goal may just be a tap in but when your 1-0 up at O.T the 2nd goal is always great. Milner and Silva slick passing in the United box plays Milner clear to stroke the ball along "That line the keeper dreads." and Mario does well to stay onside and put the ball in.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Good shouts Gladders, but by blatantly flaunting the specific criteria established in the OP you've probably just opened the floodgates for all sorts of shit posters to come in here posting hat tricks and four and five goal hauls.

I did flout them a bit, but air_raid will let me off with a warning.

In fairness, I would have posted the Forlan one. I loved that phase of Liverpool v United matches where Liverpool goalies served up gifts to us every year at Anfield.

• Paid Members

Gladstone is bringing it I see. How dare he. I will see your Solskjaer and raise you an Ipswich demolition:

9-0ipswichuse.jpg

1995 saw hits from Oasis. Noel Gallagher later admitted he just pieced words and chords together and they had no real significant value to him. Well, there was one person in Manchester who's lyrics were true to the artist.

48753-300.jpg

Indeed he was.

Mind you, admittedly, fuck knows how many Ole would have scored if he stayed on the pitch for more than 12 minutes that day.

• Paid Members

Here's a good 'un:-

City storm out to a two goal lead courtesy of two Niall Quinn headers but in typical City fashion it wasn't to last.

Michel Vonk and his MASSIVE FUCKING NOSE put one on a plate for The King, who then starts off and finishes a sensational move that puts the game all square - before Keano pops up late on to send our front room into delirium. Lovely.

• Paid Members

Jamie Smith's two goals in our 4-0 rout of Copenhagen in the 2007/08 Uefa Cup.

Needing a win to advance from the group it's fair to say every person heading into the stadium expected us to say goodbye to European football that night. This was a Copenhagen side that had beaten Celtic and Manchester United in the previous seasons Champions League.

Instead, we absolutely played them off the pitch - setting up a next-round tie with Bayern Munich...who we led twice in the home leg but ended up drawing the match 2-2 (The less said about the return match at the Allianz the better).

JamieSmithPA_468x461.jpg

Couple of Everton ones stand out, first Tomasz Radzinki's magic double against Southampton in 02/03, we were 1-0 down with minutes to go when Radz thumps a header home to equalise then in stoppage time he gets played through on goal and from the angle of the box smashes one into the near post corner of the goal to send Goodison mental

Second is James Beattie against Fulham, he opened the scoring with a typical Beats penalty that near burst the Park End net then a short time later the ball comes to him on the edge of the box and he delivers a quite brilliant lob over the Fulham keeper to make it 2-0

Pippo Inzaghi's brace against United in the Semi Final in 99 in Turin was the epitome of a classic European brace. The way he celebrates each goal was exactly how I used to act playing for my local side on a Sunday morning. He was cruelly denied his hattrick by an offside decision and we went on to complete a glorious comeback but those two Inzaghi goals totally encapsulated a classic top european striker, a dying breed sadly.

• Paid Members

Andy Cole is in my all time Fave Five. Loved the guy so much. I think it was because he signed for United at exactly the right time in my life- at that age where nothing in the world means more than football to you, or even comes close. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard he signed for United. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when he scored his first goal for United. There are so many memorable Andy Cole moments for me, all push the right nostalgia buttons for me.

Edit: Apologies if this post may seem a little random and slightly out of context, but I did start typing it up as soon as I saw Ian's post!

• Paid Members

For me, this is a no-brainer and also ties in with my all-time favourite football moment.

Tony Adams VS Everton, May 3rd 1998

adams.jpg

What a moment. As a 15-year old that had seen Man Utd comfortably dominate (bar the great year of 1995) English football for the past 5 years, it didn't get better than this. I remember when Overmars' goal sank United at Old Trafford a couple of months earlier, watching Match of the Day whilst rather tipsy I hugged a Liverpool-supporting friend (I'm sorry, everyone) and shouted "We can do it! We can actually do it!".

And then watching us stroll our way through game after game we ended up with this fixture- the chance to win our first Premier League title with a couple of games to spare, at Highbury. Overmars- my favourite player that season- scored a brace in this game but there was only one man that could take the spotlight- 'Mr Arsenal' Tony Adams. Okay, okay I know the first goal is debatable and is credited as a Bilic OG (and video replays confirm this), but fuck it I'm giving it to Adams. Goal #1 out of the way. And as for the second, any Arsenal fan will have this listed in their Arsenal great moments speed dial.

Steve Bould, that creative wizard, picks up a loose ball in the middle of the park. He spots someone flying right down the middle with an incredible burst of pace- surely it was one of Wenger's young French signings, or Christopher Wreh perhaps. No, it was Donkey Adams! Soaring through the middle like Theo Walcott being bummed by a packet of Black Cat bangers- he collects a beautifully chipped pass from Bould and leaves the defence in his wake, smashing the ball into the net like Hurst's fourth against the Germans. What a goal, what a moment and what a brace (SHUT UP HE DID SCORE TWICE).

And here's the video in case you want to relive this brilliant moment.

In recent memory, has to be this;

balotelli-german_940-8col.jpg

Two chances, two emphatic finishes, against a Germany side who had been built up all tournament as the only ones who could stop Spain.

On a personal note I loved the two goals Rooney scored for us to beat Milan 3-2 in the 2007 Semi Final first leg. The first was fantastic, a beautiful chip from Scholes setting up a nice finish. The second in injury time just had the whole room going crazy where he watched it, Giggs feeding it in and him smashing an emphatic finish in low from the edge of the box.

Back then it was such a novelty to be in the Champions League semi final, the first time in five years it had happened, and at a time when we hadn't even won the league for four seasons. So you seemed to cherish the big European nights more, and that was was definitely a highlight, even if we got murdered in the second leg.

He's left us now, but Snodgrass' brace against Burnley was probably my favourite Leeds moment(s) of last season.

Robert-Snodgrass-celebrat-007.jpg

Burnley were battering us for the majority of the match, they scored a good goal fairly early in the match and we never looked like equalising, we would have been 3/4 goals down if our loanee goalkeeper, Alex McArthy wasn't playing. It gets to the 75th minute and Snodgrass scores a goal out of nothing, we're pressing now, all of our attacking talent have come of the bench. Snodgrass takes a corner that finds Ramon 'standard foreign attacking midfielder' Nunez, Ramon fannies around with the ball in the box, before whipping it to Snoddy who is unmarked at the back post.

Chaos occurs. The after match interview with Snodgrass was outstanding

I love playing Burnley. Since we 2010 we've played them four times, we've had four victories; Winning 3-2 in the 85th minute after being 2-0 down at half time, the match I talked about above, Ross McCormack scoring a winner in the 97th minute and a bog standard 1-0 win.

• Awards Moderator

The answer is Matt Le Tissier, isn't it? Nearly 19 years ago and I still remember watching like it was a few weeks ago.

His first against Newcastle was just sublime. First touch to bring it from behind him, an immediate touch perfectly weighted to fall right in front of him, dinks it up and past the last man and coolly finishes like it was the easiest thing in the world.

The second? "I can't be arsed beating you all again, so I'll just tee myself up and welly it in". What I love about this is you can tell as soon as he's hit it, he knows it's in. So much so, he already starts to turn around before the net moves.

Fucking brilliant.

I can remember watching that Le Tiss show live. He used to do us regaularly but we all gave him an awesome reception as he walked round the St Mary's pitch the day he retired. He was amazing in a consistently struggling side.

• Paid Members
His first against Newcastle was just sublime. First touch to bring it from behind him, an immediate touch perfectly weighed to fall right in front of him, dinks it up and past the last man and coolly finishes like it was the easiest thing in the world.

This is one of my favourite goals scored by anyone, ever, and I don't care about either team involved. The combination of skills - bringing the ball from behind yourself into your path being one I'm frequently guilty of attempting - and then the finish are excellent. That's one of the few games from teams I don't care about that I remember watching ont' telly.

My favourite goal ever for that combination of factors is - shocking - one of Berbs, and it's against Charlton. The first touch brings the ball out of the air and with the outside of the foot, ball goes one way, Berbs goes the other. He's up against El Karkouri who he outpaces and outmuscles, before finishing neatly. Skill, pace, power, finish. It's basically everything I look for in a solo goal.

Actually watching from the start of the clip you get to see one of my other favourites of his, the "fuck it, I'll shoot" volley against Boro.

• Paid Members

Those Le Tis goals brought back some memories. What a piss-taker of a player, he'd pull off that kind of trick for fun. With minimal effort! Everything looked ridiculously easy.

He reminds me of a certain type of 5-a-side player you get in the astro leagues. You know the kind, really fat players who are completely immobile because of their lack of fitness, but put the ball to their feet (never a through ball, fuckers never move for it) and they will show up everyone with their skill and touch. Le Tis was the Premier League's fat skillful 5-a-side player. As many have said, imagine if he really tried.

Archived