Back to back goals from same bloke.

air_raid

• Paid Members

Here's a thought I had absolutely months ago, at the end of the intro you'll get to see clips of the match that inspired me to have said thought.

We all have and have had players at our team that score oodles of goals, and we all love a good hat trick. My personal favourites being Gareth Bale in the San Siro, the man Lineker in Monterrey in 1986, and the scamp Michael Owen rounding off his in style by slotting past Oliver Kahn in Munich. As a neutral, I've always been partial to Wayne Rooneys debut goals against Fenerbahce (context helps) especially the precision of his second and third.

I sometimes think "pairs" of goals are overlooked, and I was just wondering which braces do you lot love? There is however a special criteria - these goals are scored BACK TO BACK, i.e. no-one else from either team scores in between. I think pairs of goals like this - often scored in quick succession - can provide a perfect "snapshot" of what a particular player is all about.

So, any suggestions? This will die on its arse or be ok, depending on if anyone else is as anal about their football as I am. Here are a couple of my own, to give you an idea.

022_Braga_Berbs.jpg

Dimitar Berbatov, Spurs 3-2 Braga, UEFA Cup round of 16, 14th March 2007.

I certainly will not hold back from the admission that I loved Berbs. No, he wasn't the fastest, or the best "team player" you'll ever come across, but he was fucking magic at Spurs. With busy sorts like Keane, Defoe, Lennon and Malbranque buzzing around him, he was able to saunter around and just apply the special touch when necessary to add sparkle when Tottenham needed it most, and there is no better example than when he helped reverse the scoreline on a nervy night at home to Portuguese side Braga, after winning an equally tight first leg 3-2 a week earlier.

Behind to an early Huddlestone own goal, Berbatov gets the home side going again in the 28th minute. Two things that stand out about this goal, the telepathic understanding between he and Robbie Keane (that also resulted in a similarly sumptuous goal from the latter against Brugge in the group stage) illustrated by a perfectly weighted ball into the path of his strike partner from Keano. In fact, Dimi not only doesn't have to break his stride but passes the ball deftly into the corner with the outside of his boot with next to no swing, almost like taking the stride and striking the ball is one motion. No wild stab, a stroke with precision, effortless.

The second is equally classy but in a different way - in the 42nd minute Huddlestone takes a quick free kick spotting the run of Berbatov, who makes it look easy chesting the ball down and volleying firmly past the hapless keeper and into the net. 14 minutes, two great strikes, and Spurs rolling again. OF COURSE, being Tottenham they allowed Braga to get back into it and had to win the match 3-2 on the night, 6-4 on aggregate. This was the peak of a special time for Spurs, no defence to speak of but devastating going forward, which took in the aforementioned matches, 3-3 draws at Stamford Bridge and the JJB, a 3-2 win at Riverside and a 4-3 at Upton Park. Plus a myriad of examples of Berbs magic. In fact bar the first leg against Braga, he scored in all of those games.

I was also a huge fan of Wayne Rooneys two goals against Croatia in Euro 2004 - the first an angry strike into the corner from outside the box, the second a classic one-on-one situation where he sends Butina the wrong way with his eyes and just rolls it into the corner.

In the interests of trying to retain some objectivity, I also admired Ashley Youngs two-goal salvo at White Hart Lane earlier this year - one a superb overhead kick inside the box, the other a magnificent curved shot into the top corner which was good enough to beat Friedel from distance. I thought it was a fine example of the skills of a player that while still has his detractors, for me remains a goal threat every time he's on the pitch.

Also, a begrudging respect for Cesc Fabregas quick fire duo in a nervy 3-0 win over Villa over Christmas 2009 - comes on, curls in a stunning free kick, then breaks his balls to latch onto a Walcott pass to slide in his second, before being taken off again. He wasn't even fully fit, the talented bastard.

So lads, any of you have any fond memories of your favourite players grabbing a memorable pair of back to back goals?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Eric Cantona's two penalties in the 1994 FA Cup final after a first half which promised a third Chelsea victory over United that season. The fact both pens were identical, the celebrations were pure Eric and Denis Wise bet him he was going to miss the first one and when he got the second Eric asked if he wanted "double or quits" before slotting it home makes it the finest double ever.

_51468486_cantona1994.jpg

No footballer will ever be as cool as Eric Cantona. He was the fucking man. Look at him:

130631hp2.jpg

The only complaint is that referee blew his whistle to early in that match. The ref went down with an injury and it took for fucking ever to get his arse off the pitch. Justifiable amount of injury time I'd say.

Justifiable or not that footage still makes me feel ill!

everyone always bloody ignores the ref getting injured. does my head in.

anyway

article-1267720-005B0C2A00000258-884_468x286.jpg

Diego!

Woo oh, oh, oh!

Diego!

Woo oh, oh, oh!

He came from Uruguay

He made the Scousers cry!

Still bloody hilarious and fun to watch. especially when he scored for Atletico against them the other year

• Paid Members

Dwight Yorke's two headers from Beckham crosses against Inter in 99 were very satisfying at the time as well.

yorkeintermilan.jpg

Especially when the hype was all "Simone vs Beckham II" and all that. Beckham had a blinding game. Like a man possessed. As a side note Simone had a goal ruled out and Clive Tyldesley DEFINITELY NOT BEING BIASED said "that should wipe the smile off his face".

The one that comes to my mind is when Morton played SPL side Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup in 2007. We were the better side, but they got a goal just after the break. Chris Templeman then scores a pretty lucky deflected goal before scoring the best goal he's probably ever scored just minutes later with a scissor kick to send 6,000 of us absolutely mental. I don't think I've celebrated a goal as much as that one.

• Paid Members

article-2138571-12E478B5000005DC-154_634x422.jpg

A recent one there with Cisse's two goals against Chelsea last season, including his wondergoal. Made all the better by watching with my Chelsea supporting mate, he was willing his team on to a last minute equaliser then Cisse just let that cracker fly from nowhere. Sublime.

• Paid Members

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sees your thread....

....and doubles it.

Pretty much encapsulates the fella. All kinds of goals, but the prime poacher. Great stuff.

Also, Lee Sharpe versus Arsenal in the Rumbelows Cup in 1990, the second and third of his hattrick. Arsenal had pulled it back from 3-0 to 3-2 and then Sharpey popped up with a header and a right-footer and a couple of great celebrations and United ended up winning 6-2.

Check out the first goal of his in the first half, too, absolute screamer. I think that people forget just how good Sharpe was in his teens and early twenties. He was a GREAT player, it's such a shame that loads of injuries and shagging robbed him of his pace.

Archived