The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Or they could just give GSP what he wants and save 206 instantly with GSP vs Bisping or something.

Holy hell that would be rough. That card isn't blessed with star power regardless, so I could genuinely see them downgrading it from a PPV if Cormier really is out of the fight. With just over a month to go, and 205 and 207 both stacked, do they have time to salvage anything? Who would you have Rumble face? He's just sparked Glover, Gusty didn't look fantastic in what was supposed to be a rebuilding fight for him, Manuwa despite coming off of a KO win isn't going to sell a PPV, and Bader is Bader. Fuck it, give Shogun a shot. If Henderson is getting a title shot based off of one victory, it's not too much of a stretch to have Shogun have a pop at the belt coming off of two.

Not just that. All those names you mentioned - Glover, Gus, Manuwa and Bader - Rumble's already sparked them all within the last year or so. As much as Rumble vs Shogun would be a solid booking names wise and also a fresh fight, I really don't want to see Shogun added to Rumble's victim list.

But I have to admit GSP vs Bisping with a co-main of Rumble vs Shogun would be a hell of a save.

It won't happen though. We'll probably end up with it downgraded to FS1 with Rumble vs Jan Blachowicz or some bollocks.

• Paid Members

I thought tonight's show was the Flyweights finale for some reason so I thought the finale discussion would be in the TUF thread. Plus it was my daughter's birthday yesterday so I've been a bit busy this week.

It's a bit late but I'll knock a thread up in a bit anyway. I knew the card was tonight but looking it up just now it's better than I realised. It probably deserves its own thread.

Luke Rockhold is injured and out of his fight with Jacare at UFC Melbourne. Bet Bisping suddenly has a reason that he can't step in.

Just catching up, but I have to say that the Champion doesn't "step in", it's usually the other way around, isn't it? 

• Paid Members

Despite how some are trying to paint it, Bisping's no coward. Go back over his career and he's fought a good chunk of the best fighters of his era and he's always been one of the fighters who Dana said "he never says no to any fight we've offered to him". I find it funny that people are suddenly trying to act like he's terrified and shitting himself of the tough fights. In reality, he knows he's got a limited amount of time left in MMA and he's just trying to cram in as many big fights as he can while they're still there. He wasn't saying he'd fight GSP or Diaz instead of Jacare, Rockhold, Weidman or Romero. He was trying to do the GSP or Diaz fight as well as those. I don't get why people don't seem to understand that. Him fighting at 206 would've meant he'd most likely be ready to go again by the time the middleweight tournament winner was ready to fight again (probably first quarter of 2017).

Although, as much as I'm defending Bisping, this is a bit much I think...

I think this is a bit much from Bisping though. Now he's saying that even if Yoel Romero beats Chris Weidman next week, he "doesn't think he'll fight him".

"If Yoel beats Chris, I honestly don't think I'll fight Yoel, because he tested positive for steroids. I read an article recently that said that it takes years for the advantages of taking steroids to get out of your system. Just because you don't test positive anymore doesn't mean you'll lose all the extra muscle and things like that that you were able to achieve. So I think he needs longer, I really do. I don't see why he should be rewarded. If Weidman wins, that's the fight I want. Me and Weidman, for a little while now, I'd say probably the last year, have gone back and forth, back and forth, talking sh*t, and yeah, it's a fight that interests me, 100 percent."

So let's just say Romero comes in and just smashes Weidman and stops him, and he passes all the USADA tests. And then say Jacare barely squeaks out a razor close decision over Rockhold. Surely then Romero would be the obvious #1 contender. Bisping can't just refuse to defend against him in that scenario. Especially when he's fought Anderson and Hendo this year who have both had either the PED or TRT thing attached to them and he was fine with fighting them.

Archived