The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Bellator are coming to Ireland in December, joint venture with BAMMA, a few BAMMA fighters are on it so hopefully King Mo can bring eyes to the broadcast.

I guess they might shove it on Five but doubtful but it should be at least be on Spike UK live

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pena has taken the now standard fighter stance when they don't get what they want and has threatened to quit. Was she even offered a title shot?

UFC won't miss her either way.

She'll be given a "bonus" and promised a shot against the winner. They never actually quit.

It's a pretty interesting time, actually. All the humble, RESPECT THE ART, 'i'll let my fists do the talking' type Martial Artists are starting to realise that the game has changed. Or, more accurately, they're refusing to adapt to a glaringly obvious change.

It's always been that the fighters with character are the ones who become stars, really, but McGregor has brought it into sharp focus. And, now we're seeing all these sad eyed fighters throwing fits because winning fights no-one watched isn't bearing the fruit they'd hoped.

• Paid Members

It's a pretty interesting time, actually. All the humble, RESPECT THE ART, 'i'll let my fists do the talking' type Martial Artists are starting to realise that the game has changed. Or, more accurately, they're refusing to adapt to a glaringly obvious change.

It's always been that the fighters with character are the ones who become stars, really, but McGregor has brought it into sharp focus. And, now we're seeing all these sad eyed fighters throwing fits because winning fights no-one watched isn't bearing the fruit they'd hoped.

I wonder if this is also tied into the sheer number if UFC cards these days, it means that only the hardcores are watching absolutely everything the company put out, so while winning fights on TV or PPV used to be enough to start to garner a bit of buzz and momentum, now you have to work even harder for viability to the casual fan because just fighting on a card isn't visibility enough.

Daz nails the point there tremendously for me, you can go and win multiple fights in a row, but unless you have visibility from the audience as something other than the norm, and you make yourself mean something to the people who are going to stump up the money for the PPV you may as well not exist, which is why the media circus and the trash talking is so necessary now, to distinguish yourself from an ever-growing pack of fighters being showcased on TV. 

• Paid Members

I can understand Aldo acting up, because he was promised McGregor next, but folk like Pena need to wind their neck in. Yeah, she's won a few fights, but I don't think many are too bothered she's missing out here, or that she'll leave should she not get what she wants.

• Paid Members

Bellator are coming to Ireland in December, joint venture with BAMMA, a few BAMMA fighters are on it so hopefully King Mo can bring eyes to the broadcast.

I guess they might shove it on Five but doubtful but it should be at least be on Spike UK live

I like the sound of that.

King Mo/Satoishi Ishii headlines the Bellator bit.

b169-dublin-1920x10805b15d.jpg

• Paid Members

Daz nails the point there tremendously for me, you can go and win multiple fights in a row, but unless you have visibility from the audience as something other than the norm, and you make yourself mean something to the people who are going to stump up the money for the PPV you may as well not exist, which is why the media circus and the trash talking is so necessary now, to distinguish yourself from an ever-growing pack of fighters being showcased on TV. 

Look at Gegard Mousasi. 40-6 pro record. 5-1 in his last 6 UFC fights, including a win on the 200 card, and the most memorable thing he's done for 2 years is get knocked out by Uriah Hall! He's nowhere near a title shot and it's only now he's started talking a bit that people are thinking about him as a legit contender. 

I wonder if this is also tied into the sheer number if UFC cards these days, it means that only the hardcores are watching absolutely everything the company put out, so while winning fights on TV or PPV used to be enough to start to garner a bit of buzz and momentum, now you have to work even harder for viability to the casual fan because just fighting on a card isn't visibility enough.

The only problem for me is that McGregor wearing the snappy suits and lobbing water bottles around is a break from the norm, but once every fighter starts wearing suits, hurling Volvic, talking shite and calling each other out we will eventually become desensitised to it, won't we?

It's a bit like the old WWE attitude era. Once every cunt was using chairs, barbwire bats and shit they suddenly aren't a big deal. 

Where will it end? It won't be long before some cunt shows up for a presser wearing shoes like the Iron Sheik and a jacket that lights up like Jericho's, all the while spraying water from a super soaker rather than being boring and only throwing bottles of the stuff.

I don't think that fighters have to follow the McGregor blueprint to incite interest. Conor has his own niche, which has worked to a tee. However, fighters draw for different reasons. Lesnar was an immense physical presence, twinned with his Pro Wrestling background. Rousey was the first major female star that the UFC created. The name, the look, the feminist appeal, and the fighting style ticked all the boxes. GSP drew of his immense skill and likeability. 

I think the current landscape is just the way things are. There's only going to be 2 or 3 major stars at any given time. The days of the UFC drawing of their brand-name are long gone, and while the mass audience is still there, it only comes out on select occasions (McGregor, Rousey, Lesnar) It's the same with boxing. The masses will happily pay to see Froch vs Groves or Joshua's fights, but they won't pay to see Jamie McDonnell or Lee Selby. 

Dave Sholler's off

One of the most well-known executives in the UFC is departing the promotion.

UFC senior vice president of public relations and athlete marketing and development Dave Sholler is leaving for a job with the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers, he confirmed Wednesday night. UFC president Dana White broke the news on FS1's TUF Talk show.

Sholler, a New Jersey native, is a lifelong fan of the 76ers. His last event will be UFC 205 on Nov. 12 in New York.

"As Dana just announced on FS1, I'm heading home. I've accepted a job w/ my hometown team, the Sixers. This has been the ride of a lifetime."

"It's time to go home, to the organization I grew up rooting for. Will miss fight game very, very much, but excited for the new challenge."

Archived