Create a new match/PPV/Title concept

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

So, there's been some quality concepts for angles, matches, PPVs through the years. Mainly from WWE for my money. Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, King of the Ring, Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank all great concepts, at least to begin with. WWE seem to struggle these days though, Beat the Clock can be ok, Bragging Rights was worthless and Hell in a Cell has only gone to almost completely diminish the aura the match once had. I usually enjoy Raw Roulette too and think that's a decent enough, simple concept which I think could be used for PPV. The original NXT could have been an interesting experiment but became a total joke pretty quickly when they seemed to have no idea what they was actually doing with it. They also provided the Hardcore Title Division and the 24/7 concept which was bags of fun and gave loads of guys something to do, who'd otherwise be doing very little.

WCW provided the Lethal Lottery and War Games which were both hugely popular. TNA have had their first real hit with the BFG Series in my opinion. I wouldn't mind WWE nicking the idea at all, in fact right now would be a beautiful time to give it a go.

I think the game could do with some sexy new match, title or PPV theme, seeing as WWE seem to struggle hitting a hot concept over the last few years, what wonderful ideas can you crazy kids muster up?

• Paid Members

I'd love to see WWE use the triple cage instead of ladder matches for MITB one year. Stick eight men in, have the briefcase hanging from the top, whoever brings it out through the bottom door is your winner.

It's not a completely new idea, but lets be honest, the triple cage is money.

I've always thought this idea would be pretty cool. A 6 man ladder match involving every male title holder in WWE (WWE, World, IC, US and the two Tag champs). There are 6 briefcases hanging, each with a different title belt in them. Once they've grabbed a briefcase they're out of the match. Once all cases have been claimed by each of the six, we open them up to find out who the new champions are.

I've always thought this idea would be pretty cool. A 6 man ladder match involving every male title holder in WWE (WWE, World, IC, US and the two Tag champs). There are 6 briefcases hanging, each with a different title belt in them. Once they've grabbed a briefcase they're out of the match. Once all cases have been claimed by each of the six, we open them up to find out who the new champions are.

Surely they'd be as well just all going, "right lads, down to luck, come we'll all just take one each and see what we get cause that's what we'll be doing anyway."

Surely they'd be as well just all going, "right lads, down to luck, come we'll all just take one each and see what we get cause that's what we'll be doing anyway."

His concept needs more of a, six titles in briefcases labelled after that title, they guys fight to try and grab the world, whoever gets it is out, then they fight for whatever next... not a good idea for a match anyway.

If TNA could work on it, i wouldn't mind seeing the Steel Asylum back, or even the Clockwork Orange House of Fun match. There's just some matches like you said that need work. Taking the Hell In A Cell away from its own PPV and then using it when the time is right is what we need for that match. MITB either grows more again or just goes back to the one briefcase at WM.

• Paid Members

I always thought they should've created a Raw and Smackdown title belt. The belt would be defended in the main event of Raw & Smackdown each week. There would be just one world title which would supercede it on PPV but be rarely defended on TV due to the prestige of these new belts.

This one is a bit contrived but one of the brands could have an escalating war of stables and create a Gang Wars title. It's a bit 1999 as an idea but we're probably ready for stables to take off again. It would seem a bit novel these days.

New matches are hard to think of. Everything seems to have been done. If I had my gang wars title, I'd have a match headline a themed PPV. It'd be a gang war games match with the two gangs inside two rings with a cage round it. Never been done before, Vince McMahon told me.

What about a hell in a cell match with no ring, just weapons.

Thought for a while that TNA could benefit from a Royal Rumble rip-off event. Always hated the 3 ring matches. What about a 50 man traditional Battle Royal but they commission a one off ring that's twice the size of a normal ring?

• Paid Members
There are 6 briefcases hanging, each with a different title belt in them. Once they've grabbed a briefcase they're out of the match. Once all cases have been claimed by each of the six, we open them up to find out who the new champions are.

Really just an adaption of TNA's terrible Feast Or Fired, apart from lacking the logic-defying "Fired" element (I fucking wouldn't bother going for a briefcase if it could mean the sack). Sure it would be entertaining but grossly unfair on whoever has the most important belt that they only have a one in six chance of retaining it. I know the situation would be similar in any multi-man defence, but at least there you win or lose and hold your title on merit rather than dumb luck. Fucking stupid TNA.

The issue of the blokes just sharing out the briefcases rather than fight at all and struggle to get up the ladder could be solved by throwing, say, six to eight wrestlers in the match but compete for three to four belts. Then you've still got fighting right up until the last briefcase and retain the intrigue in who gets which title.

His concept needs more of a, six titles in briefcases labelled after that title,

Or just the belts??

This one is a bit contrived but one of the brands could have an escalating war of stables and create a Gang Wars title. It's a bit 1999 as an idea but we're probably ready for stables to take off again. It would seem a bit novel these days.

I had a "Faction Championship" in one of my simulators which was in essence just an 8-Man Tag Team Championship (I also had 6-Man belts) but the game wouldn't let me have the belts defended by anyone other than the four men that had won it. That would be the appeal of such a title for me, not just "we're going to be challenging the Big Gay Bears for the Gang Wars title" but the extra intrigue of "but WHICH Bears will be up against?" Extended Freebird rule, if you will.

Growing up I always thought extending pin counts to five in certain matches would be cool. Pretty much as a way of advertising the fact the two wrestlers will be putting on a long exciting match. It would have loads of possible stories to tell, like favouring submission guys because they don't have to do anything extra to win. You could have a face pin the heel clean for a four counts to protect him in defeat etc etc

• Paid Members

I've always wanted WWE to do an annual knockout cup competition, like wrestling's version of the FA Cup. Similar to King of the Ring, but on a far greater scale and to run over a number of months, rather than one night. The final could be timed to happen at WrestleMania, giving it a real big-time feel and rather than a belt, there would be a big shiny trophy for the winner. If they didn't want to have the final at Mania, they could have it at any other time of the year, as the final to such a competition would surely add a lot of interest to one of their B-show PPVs, they could even rename the PPV to whatever name they give to the competition.

It would be quite ambitious, but my competition would start with 64 men in the initial qualifying round, with a lot of those matches including young guys from FCW as well as legends returning to enter the competion (similar to how we have non-league teams entering the FA Cup). The matches would take place across Raw, SmackDown and the NXT/FCW shows over the course of a few weeks. That initial round of 32 matches would probably take a whole month of TV, then there would be a break of about 6 weeks before the next round of matches would begin.

By the time the next round would roll around, we would be down to 32 guys, which would be largely comprised of established names from the roster, but there would be a few relative unknowns from FCW likely still in the hat, as well as a legend or two. No doubt this tournament would see some giant-killings in the early stages. This time the matches would take up two weeks of TV.

After a break of a few weeks we would have the round of 16, with a place in the Quarter Finals at stake. The two Semi-Finals would take place on a PPV, as would the tournament final.

Overall the competition provides 63 competitive, meaningful matches for TV and PPV over the course of about 5 months. If it all kicked off just after Survivor Series, your final would be at WrestleMania, alternatively it could kick off just after Mania and finish around SummerSlam time.

Certain matches could have stipulations added by General Managers or whatever, if it provided an opportunity to integrate the tournament into existing ongoing storylines (for example, if it was happening now and John Cena was in the quarter finals, Big Johnny might try to screw him out of the tournament by making his QF match a No-DQ or something, then have Big Show interfere).

I think it would be a great vehicle for making TV matches meaningful again and with 3 hours of Raw to fill every week, fitting in about 4 or 5 tournament matches should not be a problem at all. You could really use this tournament to achieve a lot of things- an early round giant-killing would be a great way to promote an unknown FCW guy to the Raw or SmackDown roster. Imagine what a decent cup run would do for someone like Zack Ryder, who would no doubt have the support of the people behind him. Imagine if this happened now- everyone would be dying to see who Ryback was drawn against.

• Paid Members

I had a few ideas some years ago:

Killer Kountdown - both wrestlers start with 10 counts. Each time a pinning situation occurs and the referee slaps the mat, the number of counts is deducted from the respective wrestler's 20, and whoever's 10 is reduced to 0 loses.

5-count match - really just an extension of King Kong Bundy's gimmick of making the ref count five, but officially done. Used for grudge matches to "really decide" who's better.

The "Maverick" title - this belt can only be defended in special stip matches. This obviously means hardcore, but includes everything else that isn't a regular singles or regular tag match. Only time it can be defended in a regular singles or tag is if there's a stip concerning shaved heads or getting fired or something.

The "Outnumbered" or "Versus The World" title - can only be defended in multi-man matches, so this means three/four-ways plus, handicaps, battle royales, rumbles and gauntlets.

I'm a fan of the gimmick PPVs, but I feel there's too many similar ones that could be merged into one PPV. For example:

No Way Out - I don't see the need for a PPV devoted to HIACs, a PPV devoted to Elimination Chambers and a PPV devoted to Steel Cages. Merge Hell In A Cell and Elimination Chamber into No Way Out and move it to February. It gives you more room to breathe regarding booking as you can have a HIAC, an Elimination Chamber OR a Steel Cage instead of burning everyone out with all 3.

Capitol Punishment - I LOVED the idea of having a permanent annual PPV in Washington DC. It's the heart of the country and it means you can daub everything up in garish flags and have John Cena hug army people when he defies the odds. What I'd do, though, is merge it with Night of Champions AND King of the Ring. We all know why WWE don't like booking KOTR, because it was unpredictable and people won't buy something if they don't know the card blah blah. Well, why not combine it with Night of Champions meaning that there will definitely be a card to promote in advance. So you've got an all-American event in Washington DC where all the belts will be defended and the King of the Ring will be determined? Make it as much of a big deal as possible, have them show shots of Bret Hart in attendance with stock footage from Nitro and make it look like a big 5 event again. Have Sgt. Slaughter and Hacksaw Jim Duggan come out and rescue a babyface-in-peril with Lilian Garcia singing the National Anthem. it'd be mega.

TLC: Money In The Bank - 2 Ladder match PPVs is a bit much, so combine them. Have 1 Money In The Bank match, have a big TLC multi-man (Preferably a Tag Team title match) and then have Table and Chair matches for the WWE and World titles. Both PPVs are usually very good anyway, and it's 2 big names, so it's definitely goign to intrigue punters more than 2 PPVs.

Survivor Series - Basically add Bragging Rights to Survivor Series in the form of a Torneo Cibernetico. For those who don't know, Torneo Ciberneticos are 8 vs. 8 elimination tags where there is only one survivor. If a team is left with more than one survivor, it instantly turns into every man for himself with the last guy left becoming the winner. I would have the winner recieve a title shot for their respective brand at the Rumble. Chuck in a WarGames main event and watch this place explode.

Extreme Rules and Over The Limit - Granted, this year it's less defined, but in years previous it was promoted like "Extreme Rules is where the rules go out the window. Over The Limit is where the rules go MORE out of the window". Merge them, pull the "unsanctioned" spiel like WCW Uncensored and make it the only non-PG rated PPV of the year. Wheel out Steve Blackman to get the ATTITOOD marks wapping furiously. Have someone have a nosebleed, let Kelly Kelly defend the title in a pudding bowl match or some shite. Replace the late April slot with Backlash.

EDIT: In fact, take Arch Stanton's FA Cup idea and make the semis/final at Capitol Punishment, because that is a cracking idea he has going and it would fit perfectly to have the Cup Final in Washington DC.

• Paid Members

I second the return of the Triple Cage. It made the Hell In A Cell look like child's play, by comparison. WWEs video people will do a cracking job making it seem like the ultimate match too. Visually it looks so much more big time than a few ladders.

WWEs been wanting to do an all cage PPV for years now, they can have this be the big selling point/main event for it.

• Paid Members

One idea I had as a young'un in my fantasy fed which could probably fit in nicely to WWE or TNA today but wouldn't seem as exciting due to the overkill of the GM concept. Anyway, the idea was that at one PPV (a B level show) there is a multi-man match or tournament, battle royal, whatever and the prize for the winner was that they book the next big A show, they have the power, they book the matches, etc. Only they can't book themselves in a match. So, they have the opportunity to manipulate events to their advantage somewhat, it presents the prospect of a PPV with some different, interesting or unusual matches that wouldn't normally happen but only are because this person is making the show. And could provide some character and relationship developments around how the rest of the roster now treats and acts around this superstar with sudden, brief power.

It's an idea that has now more or less been done, with guest GMs or a group of people having control of Raw for a week but, I think building a PPV with substantial build up around could still be a fun concept. Hyping it as something that can change the WWE forever, shift the balance etc and the guy with all the power being someone receiving a big push, they'd be all over TV becoming a part of numerous angles and giving a format for angles to intertwine so roster members who wouldn't usually share much screen time suddenly do and unusual alliances are formed, etc. The key would be in the build up, the initial match being set-up and thinking what scenarios could occur if this person won, that person won and then once that person wins, how they and then the rest of the roster react to it. A tool to create new storylines, angles advance existing ones and kick start some pushes.

I'd have Vince introducing the idea, making it clear it's a big deal and that things need shaking up, so being the risk-taking businessman he is, he's going to take the power out of his hands or GMs hands and let a superstar control their own PPV.

I loved the idea of PPVs dedicated to a group or faction like nWo Souled Out or IYH: DX, so that sounds like a great idea. If they don't get to garishly decorate the set with their own brand of bloated excess, it'd be wasted though. I'd give it to someone like Ted, who has the dosh to just go totally overboard and blow money on lasers, ramps and pyro.

In fact, JBL would have been perfect. Can you imagine if he had control of a PPV? Everything would be decorated in bullhorns and gold and Lilian Garcia would have to announce him as "Grand Supreme Overlord of Professional Wrestling". It'd be amazing.

Archived