RAW 1000 Discussion thread.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
He was close enough to their level for it to affect his ability to draw in his first match back. The draw for his first match back should be the fact he's wrestling for the first time in 7 years. But he didn't. A lot of that had to do with the fact that he was wrestling against two nobodies. Austin never worked with Jarrett, Hogan never worked with Bret. Its the cycle of professional wrestling. You should showcase your stars in the best possible light.

Anyway, The Rock looked like just another bloke last night. The novelty seems to have worn off with him. When he came out, it was like he'd never been away.

bret vs hogan

but yeah, in fairness, your right (non sarcy)

Also physically, the rock looked boss, it could be argued that the Rock flopped because the crowd were shite at times. They didn't even pop for Slick... nobs.

In reality, they didnt care less about him after his music hit.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, The Rock looked like just another bloke last night. The novelty seems to have worn off with him. When he came out, it was like he'd never been away.

I'll agree on that. But then we're talking about a show filled with old guys. We've seen Rock fairly recently - we haven't seen New Age Outlaws or Mark Henry's son in ages. And he had a big feud with the company's top guy. Memories of R-Truth and Miz against Rock and Cena are distant in the majority of fan's eyes. He was likely put in a tag match because he wanted someone in the corner if he needed it for his first match back.

EDIT: No one cares about the midcarders at the moment. You build your stars up to the point where they're not going to be hurt if they put over a new guy, but the new guy will be elevated. Triple H gave it a go with Shelton Benjamin. He feuded with Eugene too.

• Paid Members
He was close enough to their level for it to affect his ability to draw in his first match back. The draw for his first match back should be the fact he's wrestling for the first time in 7 years. But he didn't. A lot of that had to do with the fact that he was wrestling against two nobodies. Austin never worked with Jarrett, Hogan never worked with Bret. Its the cycle of professional wrestling. You should showcase your stars in the best possible light.

I respectfully disagree Ian. I honestly think the notion that Rock was ever reduced to Miz and Truths level utterly fucking ridiculous.

Agree, he's appeared a bunch now and his act has changed somewhat in those returns that the novelty has worn off for some. He still has ridiculous presence and oozes superstar and big time. To me, his interactions with Bryan and Punk presented them in a far greater light, not the opposite. The rumble announcement was a bit of a dud but that's probably because it's so far away and like me, people hoped he'd be at Summerslam.

• Paid Members

Obviously I'm not talking about him being at their level in terms of star quality. I'm talking about their role on the show. If the Rock wrestles John Cena, people will watch. If the Rock works with R-Truth, he's just another bloke in a feud. Albeit a giant star in just another feud, but he no longer becomes a must see attraction. Which is what sets him apart from the rest. Whats the point of having the Rock, if you are going to diminish his worth?

Obviously I'm not talking about him being at their level in terms of star quality. I'm talking about their role on the show. If the Rock wrestles John Cena, people will watch. If the Rock works with R-Truth, he's just another bloke in a feud. Albeit a giant star in just another feud, but he no longer becomes a must see attraction. Which is what sets him apart from the rest. Whats the point of having the Rock, if you are going to diminish his worth?

I think Rock has looked pretty dominant in his run so far. Perhaps give him a couple of other name matches and then move him onto a guy they think could potentially be on the cusp of stardom. If the viewer is programmed to believe that The Rock faces stars and then you've got, for example, CM Punk going against him then he rises up to that calibre. The booking needs to be good though and the challenger needs to be booked strong before The Rock match or else people could say 'the fuck's he doing facing Rock?' and laugh it off.

• Paid Members

I do actually agree, but what point do you stop? I mean, some mid carders will be on the verge of a push, but the outcome depends on how muh the crowd like the one being pushed.

Most recent that springs to mind is Tensai. Attempted feud with Cena, dropped like a bag of shite because nobody was in to it. It didn't really hurt Cena or drop him to the level of Tensai did it? They just fucked it off and moved on.

• Paid Members

Any of his opponents would need to be presented as potentially being on his level, Miz and Truth never were so why would people bother to give it a go when they know the more exciting prospect of his facing someone else near his level is down the line.

Last night the seeds were planted for other guys possibly being worthy of challenging him. The Bryan thing could be seen as damaging sure, i don't see it that way i think that interaction and Bryans performance would have raised his stock. And it was clear as day he was giving Punk a rub. The end of the show displayed that Punk is going to be possibly elevated a level that makes him challenging Rock something of interest. This is just the beginning of a long build. Miz and Truth were thrust in there with a couple of weeks and given nothing because it was always about Rock and Cena and people didn't want to see them teaming.

I disagree that Rocks worth was ever diminished, so in answer to your question, i'd say a great point in having him is to increase others worth, who are with you permanently. Which can still be achieved without diminishing his. It's an essential process with wrestling that has always been used before and desperately needs to be used now. I'm delighted signs a being shown of it happening.

I loved the DX stuff but I have always loved those guys. Gunn and Michaels were fun. Waltman has aged badly but Gunn looked in great shape.

Bradshaw's clothesline from hell looked good but what about Punk's? The Rock oversold it like he had been run over by an 18 wheeler.

With regards to D-Bry coming off horribly last night, I completely disagree.

Sure, everything went bad for him, but he is a HEEL. Isn't the point of being a heel that eventually you get your cumupance? Since January, their were hints at him being abusive to AJ, and then he dumps her after he loses in 18 seconds. Hell, he was using her the last few months just to try and win the WWE title. For her to leave him at the alter is perfect booking. Its either the end of their storyline, or the start of another chapter with a new confident AJ.

With The Rock segment, he was the perfect foil for The Rock, and its the sort of thing that could get him to the next level, showing he can hang with the big boys. Someone has to eat a Rock Bottom at that point in the show, and other than Michael Cole, who would you volunteer? Arguably, D-Bry being put in that position shows how valuable he is. Only the best interact with Dwayne.

Regardless of who it was, people would complain WWE was 'squashing' someone's credibility, but if not D-Bry then who? Ziggler? Rhodes? Miz? They're the only mid-card heels of value right now and of the 4, Bryan doesn't lose the most credibility.

Yes on paper it was a bad night for Bubba Poon, but as a heel, its the night he needed.

I loved the DX stuff but I have always loved those guys. Gunn and Michaels were fun. Waltman has aged badly but Gunn looked in great shape.

Aye, he looked a bit weird. Still, he's one of those cases where it's a success story that he's still walking. Roadie's fairly been getting stuck into the pies in recent months. HBK to a lesser extent too by the looks of things.

My nostalgic highlight was Slick, and especially that open mouthed expression of his when Bryan got snubbed. He was having a good time :laugh:

That, and Sean Mooney!

It was a fun show that definitely made me more interested in the big matches and angles they're building to. Summerslam's shaping up really well, whatever they do with Cena/Punk/Show/Bryan. It'd be better with the Rock there, preferably to face Punk, but nevermind.

Weird observation - Stephanies voice sounds completely different to how I remember.

Taker's jacket looked boss. probably the same as WM, but I can't remember that far back. Shades of LA Park.

Punk hasn't been what WWE hoped as a lead babyface and he's very effective as a heel and there's a load of logic behind him turning and turning here after Rocks announcement. Loved it. There's the possibility of some tremendous promos here, laced with real emotions which always makes it all the better and with someone like Punk the results could be very interesting. Especially if it ever leads to promos between he and Rock. This could yet be the making of CM Punk after all, maybe. Hope he sorts his look out a bit if it is.

I don't think WWE are turning Punk heel because he hasn't worked out as a face at all. I believe it was the plan all along to build Punk up as a face and then turn him heel this far down the line. I was exactly the same with Randy Savage back in 1988-1989.

I've thought for a while that Punk realises his place in the pecking order (portrayed as the number 1 guy, but always actually playing 2nd fiddle), and that the elbow drop homage to savage was acknowledgement of this. Punk being a fan of pro wrestling i think would prefer to be savage than hogan.

My guessing is that we will see some promos from punk now saying how he is sick of playing second fiddle, and that the wwe champion should be the focus not the rock / cean stuff etc, maybe back to some worked/shoots like last summer.

• Moderators
We don't have the rating yet, but Raw averaged 6.02 million viewers last night, which would be the biggest number in many years. The rating should be somewhere in the 4.0 to 4.2 level and the final two hours probably will fall in the 4.3 to 4.4 range and more than 6.3 million viewers. It is likely the biggest number since an episode with Donald Trump.

See. People don't want Punk and his ilk. They want the APA, Sid and Sean Mooney.

Monday's WWE Raw 1000 television show drew a 3.84 rating. The first hour of Raw drew a 3.48 rating. Hour two rose to a 3.95 rating. The final hour of the show scored a 4.09 rating.

From ProWrestling.net which I think is normally pretty reliable.

Archived