Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Carry On movies suck, dude.

Oh fuck off. Other than "At your convenience", which was well off the mark (and that's why the "On The Buses" film was the UK's biggest grossing film that year), they were fantastic working class social commentary.And it's not as if there wasn't some massive comedy heavyweights in them. James, Scott, Williams and FUCKING BUTTERWORTH were all fantastic. Edited by PowerButchi

Sean Connery plays "Never Say Never Again" like a Roger Moore "Bond" movie. Odd to see.

I'm not sure that's true. One of the saving graces of NSNA is that they don't completely ignore Bond being an old man which is the complete opposite of the Roger Moore movies.

• Paid Members

does the opening sequence to Never Say Never Again hold up? with the zip-line? me and my buddy used to watch that over and over when we were about 7, we'd watch it, rewind it and watch it again, ive never actually seen the whole movie.

• Paid Members

Last night I had a bond double bill of From Russia with Love and The Spy Who Loved Me. Both excellent editions of the Bond series. The Spy Who Loved Me raised a question for me though; how many Bond films have had an action/chase sequence involving Bond skiing down a mountain? There was The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To a Kill and at least 1 Bronsan film (I

• Moderators

Carry On movies suck, dude.

Oh fuck off. Other than "At your convenience", which was well off the mark (and that's why the "On The Buses" film was the UK's biggest grossing film that year), they were fantastic working class social commentary.And it's not as if there wasn't some massive comedy heavyweights in them. James, Scott, Williams and FUCKING BUTTERWORTH were all fantastic.
The Carry Ons are indeed superb, although I'm going to have to disagree slightly here, because '...At Your Convenience' is one of the Top 10 British-produced movies ever, let alone the Carry Ons.

• Moderators

I felt ...At your convenience let itself down in the way it handled Trade Unions though. Making them look silly and even having the leader being shit scared of him mum. Whereas the On The Buses film had Jack Harper as all powerful shop steward, banging all the hot chicks.

• Moderators

I felt ...At your convenience let itself down in the way it handled Trade Unions though. Making them look silly and even having the leader being shit scared of him mum. Whereas the On The Buses film had Jack Harper as all powerful shop steward, banging all the hot chicks.

In the Carry On world though, it totally works, as they were never going to make a gritty Ken Loach take. Funneling all that through toilets and Kenneth Cope's cucked-by-his-mum "Everybody out!" makes for this weird mix of regular Carry On, where Kenneth Williams is still going "Ooh!" and Sid is still leching etc, but with more depth than the usual (still awesome) tits and bums and double-entendres, and it really, really works. Sid and Joan's relationship is beautifully played, really subtle and heartbreaking, unlike any of the others where men and women who fancy each other just roll around on the floor and smack each other's arses (again, still great). I've not seen the On The Buses film recently enough to remember anything about it.Convenience might be the film I've seen the most times, out of any film. There's so many fantastic little moments in it.