Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Fair play to you fellas; I'm with you on the best Bond film.  It's my all-time favourite Bond movie too. :)

Now, what about the best Bond themes?

My top 3 are:  Live & Let Die, You Know My Name, Nobody Does It Better.  The worse one is Writing's On The Wall (Sam Smith), followed by Skyfall & Shirley Bassey's Moonraker.

• Paid Members

Live and Let Die and Nobody Does It Better, in fairness, are fucking great shouts. I reckon I sing Nobody Does It Better out of the blue at work at least once a week.

You Only Live Twice is also very good, and of course We Have All The Time In The World (OHMSS).

The Brosnan-era songs were mostly shite.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

The worse one is Writing's On The Wall (Sam Smith), followed by Skyfall & Shirley Bassey's Moonraker.

Wrong. Your services are no longer required in this thread.

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The Brosnan-era songs were mostly shite.

Correct!

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

You can't be in the running for best theme unless the sing is mashed after the film or explicitly mentions the film, e.g. "Nobody Does It Better" shoe horning in The Spy Who Loved Me.

Anyway, the answer is Thunderball.  The rejigged version on the David Arnold project is particularly splendid.

Well played.  Nicely done ... I'd completely forgotten about that.

• Paid Members

Garbage - The World is Not Enough is probably my favourite Bond song ever as even though the movie is absolutely desperate, it's a wonderful, wonderful song that is instantly recognisable and relatable to Bond.

Also, Mr.Bungles' Thunderball interpretation.

Also, I love Shirley Manson's voice. It always sounds like she's really enjoying having a shite.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Right, let me just qualify my dislike of Moonraker for Devon ... when I saw the movie in the cinema during my formative years, I hadn't figured the theme link to the movie.  I was too young.  While the singer is an undoubted legend, it's the performer that makes the song not the song making the performer.  It's weak lyrically, IMO.  Very of it's time though, in fairness.

Yes, I am that fucking old.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Suzanne & I by Anna Calvi is the best Bond song not done for a Bond film of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIDj0SVWeBU

Oooh, now this is a good discussion topic. I vote for Play Dead by Bjork! Which incidentally, no doubt led to David Arnold getting the scoring gig for the Bond films thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiHZ35TPfM