Swearing

Slapnut

• Paid Members

I swear a lot around friends and my family but completely switch it off in front of my kids and the in-laws. At work it depends who I'm with. I swear at bit in front of my team but not so much in front of the directors.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, that's a good point.

When i'm genuinely cross I just go quiet, swearing is only ever used in jovial terms. My go-to phrase for genuine anger or despair is 'oh...for crying out loud'.

• Paid Members

I've got a swear-less middle ground - I swear when I'm happy and wanting to amuse, and I swear out of shock - I stunned a bus driver the other day when he nearly ran me over, and I yelled out "Fuck you, you fucking WANKER!" I don't think they hear many Nottingham accents here, or people shouting "wanker".

• Paid Members

Often, but it's rarely hostile. It's just the way I talk. Swearing has no value around here, anyway, go outside any pub and say "any cunt got a light?" and you won't even get a funny look in return.

I don't walk around swearing all day, and I hate the young mums and dads I see walking about dropping c-bombs with their kids in tow. But put me out with my mates, I'm going to be swearing. If I'm watching the football, I'm going to be swearing (I think I said "fuckfuckfuckfuck" every time Messi looked at the ball the other week!) If my daft fridge starts beeping at me because I have the cheek to leave its door open for more than ten seconds then I'm going to be swearing...

Ok, a bit too often, but I'm comfortable with it.

• Paid Members

I swear far too much.

I teach, so I've learnt to have the switch between "teacher" and "out of school."

Cunt is my favourite word to say, closely followed by fuck and twat.

I notice now and then that I'll have sworn, seen a kid go past with their parent and then wish that I could retract my swear word. If I'm having a laugh with someone, I'll likely swear. I don't think I've ever crossed the line with swearing in front of my parents. Part of it is probably that I've subconsciously taught myself not to swear upon hearing their voice.

I could do with being more considerate of when I swear sometimes.

I'm quite 'sweary' with my mum, but not my dad. Which is odd.

My dad has a massive problem with swearing. Really offends him. Which is odd because the list of things that don't offend him include casual racism, misogyny and child abandonment. My dad's a right prick. He's less of a 'i'm not racist, I once knew some who's friend was black, but...' kind of Daily Express-reading casual racist, more of a 'i'm not racist, I once did a job with a blackie, but...' kind of spiteful, nasty, Daily Star reading, immigrant-hating racist.

He's clever, though. A real whizz with statistics.

When I warned him I was moving to London, he warned me that 'London is 99.5% foreign. I saw it on the news.'

And, yet, the word 'bastard' is a real affront to his moral compass.

I think i've curtailed my swearing somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I still swear but in my late teens every second word out my mouth was "fuckin blah blah" I grew up a lot between 19 and 20 and naturally stopped using it as punctuation as it's not a very attractive trait in people. When I worked in JJB Sports I remember a father saying to his son "Hurry up and pick a trackie ya wee cunt" which I found to be highly amusing.

• Paid Members

Still feel bad to this day swearing at all around family but normally swear for effect around friends and at work. However, I despise the c word and wince everytime my best mate utters it as its his favourite swear word!

I work with someone who is a lot like Richie in that whole kind of "says fuck just to look angry and shit" type way. It's incredibly annoying.

You live in Boston so I imagine you must hear "Cocksucka" a lot, or is The Departed lying to me? I don't mean people are calling you a cocksucka by the way! The best swearing accent comes down to three dialects, Boston, New Jersey, and the fucking Glaswegian accent. Stick three guys in a room from there and it would be swearing heaven.

• Paid Members

Unless I'm having a strop, I swear very little these days.I actually only said the F word in front of my Dad for the first time this year, and that was only because I was quoting someone.[EDIT]I might only have said it to my Dad's wife. I'm not sure if he was in the room or not. I don't think he'll go through with the threat he made when I was 14 of grounding me the next time he caught me swearing, but I still try not to anyway. I'm even hesitant about minor, minor swear words like "crap".

Archived