UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Lesnar knows that he can get a couple more big fights out of his name value, before calling it a day. The Mir rubber match will be huge, and if Lesnar wins that he'll probably get a chance at getting his faced smashed in by the Heavyweight champion, another huge pay day.

Massive respect to Lesnar though. Not many men can play two promoters like Dana and Vince, like he is doing AND end up with a huge chunk of change. Shame if he chucks in the wrestling though, his brief return was the best thing WWE have done in ages.

Anyway, 146.

Mir was fucked the moment he realised he couldn't take JDS down, and credit to JDS for sticking to the game plan (Mir tried to lure JDS into his guard, but JDS was too smart for that).

Velasquez looked like ECW Taz out there; smashing in the face of a much larger man. Scary stuff from him.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Mir was full of shit to be honest. Claiming you were forced to fight someone elses game after one takedown attempt and a half arsed guard pull is pretty much bollocks and exactly what I expected of him in this fight.

Velasquez looked like a machine. Taking a guy that size down with an ankle pick can't be easy. Thought the doctor was gonna stop it when he asked Bigfoot if he could see. It was clear he couldn't see a thing.

Was over the moon for Big Country winning in fairly impressive fashion, always been a fan of Nelson and his crazy hair and beard combo make me love him even more.

Struve played his game perfectly in setting up that armbar, thought he'd broke Johnsons arm the way he was holding on to it after the fight.

Mir was crap. Is that the mma version of phoning it in? He just didn't look interested at all.

Cain impressed me a lot in the absolute mauling of Bigfoot.

Suprised at this news about Brock Lesnar. Shouldn't be I suppose as changing his mind and career is kinda his trademark.

I thought Mir was full of shit to be honest. Claiming you were forced to fight someone elses game after one takedown attempt and a half arsed guard pull is pretty much bollocks and exactly what I expected of him in this fight.

Mir looked physically bad as well, I think he'd look better if he dropped the pounds to help his cardio which is a weakness of his.

Velasquez looked like a machine. Taking a guy that size down with an ankle pick can't be easy. Thought the doctor was gonna stop it when he asked Bigfoot if he could see. It was clear he couldn't see a thing.

I thought it was going to be stopped then and I'd have no complaints. Silva was a right mess with the blood covering his face.

Was over the moon for Big Country winning in fairly impressive fashion, always been a fan of Nelson and his crazy hair and beard combo make me love him even more.

I didn't take to Big Country on The Ultimate Fighter 10: The Heavyweights but the few fights I've seen of his, I like him now because he doesn't look like everyone else with the mullet, big beard, he's fat, Dana White doesn't seem to like Nelson but I like Nelson the most for THAT chin.

Struve played his game perfectly in setting up that armbar, thought he'd broke Johnsons arm the way he was holding on to it after the fight.

No news on it but it looked broken to me for that reason. Credit to Struve for letting go straight as he felt Johnson's tap.

WOW! What a fucking good show.

Cain looked like a beast, if that is not his best career performance it is right up there, Big Foot did not have a chance to breath. Very impressed even though I dislike him due to his lack of personality.

Struve vs Johnson went as I felt it would, I thought Nelson would win by GnP, but you can never count out his haymaker, that thing is brutal.

Mayhem should have stopped Dollaway, he had him rocked twice but dove in and allowed Dollaway to grapple and recover, he did that with Jake Shields he should have learnt his lesson. Credit to Dollaway in the third frame he destroyed Mayhem in that round. Shame Mayhem has to go, but its his own fault.

JDS did what he needed to do, I was worried when Mir came out for that first takedown, he had that leg pretty good but JDS had none of it, I think Mir gave up on takedowns for there. Striking with JDS is not how you are going to beat him, you can score leg kicks at times and maybe the odd punch but he will outland you 3 to 1 and with more power. JDS was very emotionally intelligent as well not jumping on Mir when he knocked him down, so Mir could not have a sniff of a submission.

As for Lesnar, he and the UFC clearly see some money to be made in Mir vs Brock 3. I do not follow much wrestling anymore, but I do know his comeback PPV did not draw that well and the ratings in his quarter whilst strong have not be good enough for his pricetag. Wrestling is a business that I believe is on its arse from what I read and hear, I know Brock is all about the money but I also believe he would be happier doing something he at times appeared to enjoy other than losing to HHH a guy who he once described as "not giving a shit what he thinks" or something to that effect, he never appeared to enjoy Pro Wrestling much.

Mir vs Lesnar 3 whilst it would fall short of the insane buyrate UFC 100 scored, could do in the 700k-800k range and bring a lot of money to all involved. Brock may actually win as well, he matches up well against Mir and always has done. Maybe hearing Overeem was on PED has made him feel better about his loss, who knows.

I really like the Vegas crowd, always loud and create a great atmosphere.

• Paid Members
Mir vs Lesnar 3 whilst it would fall short of the insane buyrate UFC 100 scored, could do in the 700k-800k range and bring a lot of money to all involved. Brock may actually win as well, he matches up well against Mir and always has done. Maybe hearing Overeem was on PED has made him feel better about his loss, who knows.

I dunno man, I'm of the belief it could surpass it. More people know about the UFC now than when they had their first two outings. Appreciated the 100 card was stacked to high heaven with other talent, but a Brock/Mir rubber match would do some monstrous business if they build a nice card around it.

As for the show, it was cracking. Mayhem/Dollaway was a bit of a drag but the rest was easy on the eye. Really suprised with how Sass handled Volkman, and my god did Teixeira put a beat down on Ron Bergundy. Glad Hardy is going to get to stay around a bit longer. Barboza and Brandao losing were quite the shocks. Fair play to Varner, he did what he wanted and showed Barboza no respect.

The main show had around 22 minutes of fight time, but all of it was enjoyable. Mir really looked out of place against JDS, after that failed takedown early on, he knew he had no chance. Cain/Big Foot was something out of a slasher film. Velasquez looked a monster, Giving him the title shot really was the only option. I think they'll make Nelson/Miocic now with both of them coming off wins.

Great night of fights and now all this Brock stuff. MMA is never boring.

I dunno man, I'm of the belief it could surpass it. More people know about the UFC now than when they had their first two outings. Appreciated the 100 card was stacked to high heaven with other talent, but a Brock/Mir rubber match would do some monstrous business if they build a nice card around it.

They would have to have a Sonnen vs Silva or a GSP vs Silva around it to produce anything close to UFC 100. I guess it is possible, with the right night (July/December) and location to get a buzz around it (Vegas)

1.6 million buys makes UFC 100 around 500k more than the closest buyrate the UFC have produced. I believe the UFC PPV boom is over, I think they can get close to the million mark as I think they will with Sonnen vs Silva, but beyond that I feel is unlikely to happen. Lesnar drawing power may have taken a hot after him last two outings, both are not the forces they were in 2009 at the top of their divison.

I hope I am wrong though.

• Paid Members

Why book Lesnar? It's well established the absolute most he's going to add is 30,000 buys or so.

More seriously, and this is only speculation, but Meltzer was speculating about the possibility of Lesnar-Mir being the semi-main on a Dos Santos-Valasquez Brazil stadium show.

Two reasons why that will not happen.

1. Lesnar hates travel and I doubt he will fight in another country.

2. Mir will not want to as he is public enemy number 2 (Behind Chael)

If that fight happens I would put my left nut on it happening in Vegas.

A stadium show with JDS vs Cain gets a thumbs up from me though and I think it will happen.

Mayhem should have stopped Dollaway, he had him rocked twice but dove in and allowed Dollaway to grapple and recover, he did that with Jake Shields he should have learnt his lesson. Credit to Dollaway in the third frame he destroyed Mayhem in that round. Shame Mayhem has to go, but its his own fault.

Am I the only one who thought that Mayhem fucked up his knee midway through the 1st frame? He seemed to collapse on it when throwing something in the first, and after that he simply couldn't seem to get up. Dollaway didn't even attempt to finish the fight 90% of the time they were on the ground, he just lay there.

More seriously, and this is only speculation, but Meltzer was speculating about the possibility of Lesnar-Mir being the semi-main on a Dos Santos-Valasquez Brazil stadium show.

Yeah, I'd probably take Meltzers reporting with a large truckload of salt to be honest.

I can see Lesnar coming back to face Mir, but I don't see him continuing much after that. He got hammered by Velazquez and Overeem, and he didn't like it one bit. I don't see him being able to deal well with any of the fighters in top five in the heavyweight division just now, and he'll probably think the same.

Still, seeing him bash Mir one last time would be a nice way to see him go out I guess.

• Paid Members
I can see Lesnar coming back to face Mir, but I don't see him continuing much after that. He got hammered by Velazquez and Overeem, and he didn't like it one bit. I don't see him being able to deal well with any of the fighters in top five in the heavyweight division just now, and he'll probably think the same.

Still, seeing him bash Mir one last time would be a nice way to see him go out I guess.

I see it panning out like this to be honest.

Dana commented on how Brock's enthusiasm at the event was something that he'd never seen before. He know's Dana will always want to make a pay day off the back of him, much like Vince is trying to do. It's a special attraction deal that favours everyone.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the heavyweight division doesn't really lend itself to the "special attraction" fights that guys like Rich Franklin enjoy in the lower weight classes. Outwith the top five Lesnar can compete with anyone, but if the belt isn't his aim there really isn't anywhere for him to go.

No David, Goldberg and Rogan also thought he may have messed up his knee, he had a brace on it so it was probably fucked at the start.

Agree, there was a couple of times where it looked like he should be able to stand up but he didn't seem to be able to press off of his leg.

Archived