UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
I'm pretty much 50/50 on JDS vs Cain 2. I'd probably give Cain a slight edge actually, like Silky said he got caught early so really there's still the same questions to be answered. At the same time though, JDS must hold a bit of a spsychological edge after their first fight and he could well repeat that result. Fascinating.

I'd pick them both to beat Reem. He'd obviously have a shot but I'd favour both to finish him.

Wasn't Cain and JDS injured in there first fight?

yeh apparently they were, the fight doesn't really sit well with me. It was a case of there being so much on the line that they went ahead with it anyways...it obviously worked out for JDS but it's a fight that definitly needs to happen again.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mayhem should have stopped Dollaway, he had him rocked twice but dove in and allowed Dollaway to grapple and recover, he did that with Jake Shields he should have learnt his lesson. Credit to Dollaway in the third frame he destroyed Mayhem in that round. Shame Mayhem has to go, but its his own fault.

Am I the only one who thought that Mayhem fucked up his knee midway through the 1st frame? He seemed to collapse on it when throwing something in the first, and after that he simply couldn't seem to get up. Dollaway didn't even attempt to finish the fight 90% of the time they were on the ground, he just lay there.

do you watch fights on mute? that's all Rogan talked about during the second half of the 1st round.

Funnily enough, I have over recent times. I simply can't stand Joe Rogan anymore with his shouting, screaming and general idiocy.

I wonder what shape we'll see Overeem looking when he finally returns too.

You mean performance-wise after being out for a year? Or physically?

• Paid Members
i dont get it?

I don't really get it fully to be honest either, but if I was to hazard a guess, the picture of Rey Mysterio is what Blackson believes Overeem would look like off the gas?

• Paid Members

few thoughts on the main event:

* My love-hate relationship with Frank Mir continues. What the fuck was that? I had a feeling going in that Mir wasn't taking this thing entirely serious, i know you can't base an entire judgement on it but Mir's training camp just looks to so lethargic, Mir's never been associated with a massive camp so im assuming he's always trained kinda half arsed which is likely why he#s always had gas-problems and why his body shape shifts so rapidly. Frank looked done after the initial takedown, it wasn't a bad effort to completely abandon his strength and decide to have a kickboxing match with JDS? insanity.

Frank Mir has done some weird things throughout his career and this was another one. I know it's easy to sit on the couch and criticise and dragging a guy like JDS to the mat is easier said than done but it seemed like when he failed his one attempt Frank seemed to give up...for a guy who talks constantly about 'improving as a martial artist' his lack of ability to adapt to a bad situation is quite baffling.

As for JDS, you can't say much about the performance, easy nights nights work for him. What a fucking guy though, he's surely the nicest guy in MMA, it is impossible to dislike him.

You wanna look at two polar opposites...JDS and Jon Jones are newly crowned champions and they both have completey opposite relationships with the audience. Whilst Jon Jones tries to ram his role model, Christian good guy schtick down your throat, it all comes off as a persona and people are turned off by it. JDS gets over with the audience because you can see 100% that the guy is genuinely decent, works tremendously hard and isn't working specifically to earn fans, the fans recognise that and love him for it. What a f'n guy.

i'll chime in on more later...

i dont get it?

I don't really get it fully to be honest either, but if I was to hazard a guess, the picture of Rey Mysterio is what Blackson believes Overeem would look like off the gas?

Yeah thats it I think

That photo is from Summerslam when Rey came back from a wellness violation or a injury and was flabbier than normal, I think he is saying he will be smaller and flabbier when he comes back

EDIT: Agreed with EBB on his Jones/JDS point.

• Paid Members

Checked out the Dos Santos/Mir match today, And having seen Mirs last two fights, I must say it was a bit "Meh" from him personally. I used to hate Mir with a passion although, after the last few fights have thought he's a decent fighter.

This was one the first tiems I've seen Dos Santos, and he looked the dogs bollocks! Avoided all take down with by just walking away, and his Boxing is just crazy. He wasnt as big as I pictured him, (then again maybe its because he was stood next to Mir), but looked he landed some killer shots.

Will look forward to his next defence, any idea who that'll be agaisnt?

• Paid Members
This was one the first tiems I've seen Dos Santos, and he looked the dogs bollocks! Avoided all take down with by just walking away, and his Boxing is just crazy. He wasnt as big as I pictured him, (then again maybe its because he was stood next to Mir), but looked he landed some killer shots.

Will look forward to his next defence, any idea who that'll be agaisnt?

He is indeed (the dog's bollocks). The fact he's not a massive heavyweight adds to it for me, he's only around the 240lbs mark which in a division where there's guys cutting from almost 300lbs, it can be a big difference. Same with Cain and them two are at the top of the division just on their skills.

His next defence is gonna be a rematch with Cain Velasquez, which given how little damage they took the other night, they could possibly do that match failry soonish.

• Paid Members

I did catch the Cain Velasquez fight, and Bigfoot looked a bit knackered, especially that last shot that he landed in there. I havent seen much of big foot, but is he normally a bit better than that?

Speaking of which, that last little hammer fist shot the Dos Santos caught Mir with was funny as hell.

I wonder what shape we'll see Overeem looking when he finally returns too.

You mean performance-wise after being out for a year? Or physically?

Physically.

I don't think he'll look any different. There way too much being read into his physical appearance I reckon. The guy was a seriously lean 205lbs fighter back in the day, and has always had the frame that looked as though he could get much bigger with a decent weight training program. He also used to gas like fuck when he was smaller, as he was struggling to cut the weight.

When there are heavyweight fighters like Lesnar (6'3, 266lbs), Mir (6'3, 261lbs) and Shane Carwin (6'1, 254lbs), it isn't that hard to believe that a 6'5 Alistair Overeem couldn't pack on 263lbs of muscle without steroids or whatever to help him.

Sure, he got busted for an elevated testosterone level, but wether you like it or not, he has the documentation to prove that he was given a shot by his doctor to aid in the healing of injuries. Now, you can question the sense in Overeem not being more vigilant about what was in the shot, but the facts still stand. He got a nine month suspension and was treated favourably by the commission because it certainly appears like an honest mistake from the evidence given.

As he said also, no one is talking about all of the tests that he passed, are they? And he's been the most tested MMA fighter of the past ten years.

Archived