UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

is it posssible to get the fight on at this time of night? im home earlier than expected an really wanna watch it

UFC.TV man if you want to watch the prelims, sign up is free

Plus you can watch the Fuel and FX shows on there normally since ESPN doesnt show them over here. Its great for someone who doesnt have access to ESPN.

Really looking forward to the main event. Fan of both JDS and Mir lets test JDS takedown skills and submission skills IF Mir can take him there otherwise its night night Mir. If Shane Carwin ko'ed Mir within one round JDS will make easy work of Mir. Mir's cardio has to be questionable weighing in at 261lbs hes got to be carrying some excess muscle/fat which will affect his cardio big time.

Oh well I'll find out in the morning who won.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Hmmmm, this football match on ESPN is not going to be finished by 3, will they cut off the start of the PPV?

Probably just timeshift it, showing it 'as live', but just on a 15-20 minute delay...

... I hope.

EDIT: message on-screen seems to suggest this will be the case.

EDIT: this was not the case. Joined in progress. Luckily, started during Lavar Johnson's walk-in for the first fight.

• Paid Members

Main event was lovely. Awesome card top to bottom, that's my UFC show of the year so far. Full of finishes and excitement.

Dos Santos vs Mir

Was chuffed with this, went about how everyone expected. JDS is the man, it's great to see someone like him do so well. Mir gave me a slight scare with that takedown/leg lock attempt early on but it seemed like once JDS shook that off Mir kind of shut down a bit and JDS picked him apart from there. The stoppage was just a matter of time after that.

Nice to see Brock there too, I was hoping to see his reaction to Mir getting a pasting. Bet he was loving that.

Cain vs Bigfoot

Fuck me Cain was scary. Absolutely perfect comeback fight, exactly what he needed coming off his last fight. Bigfoot got fucking destroyed, within about 1 minute it looked like a massacre.

Rest of the main card was fun. Miocic vs Del Rosario was a very enjoyable two rounds. Del Rosario looked good considering the layoff, he had Miocic hurt a few times. Miocic's wrestling background paid off for him though, his finishing elbows were vicious.

Struve for once fought smart, Lavar made the mistake of getting clinched up and Struve's superior grappling took over. Struve didn't wanna be getting into a brawl with a puncher like Lavar and for once he came out of a fight pretty unscathed. I'd still like to see that Struve vs Hunt fight now.

Glad Nelson will be sticking around too. Nice KO.

Prelims were excellent.

Was pleased to see Hardy and Sass pick up wins. Hardy was in a proper must win situation there and he needed that kind of decisive win. Sass submitting Volkmann that quick shocked me a bit I must say. I thought this was gonna be a pretty even grappling match and I wasn't sure who would take it. Volkmann's a serious grappler and Sass made light work of him. Very very impressive. Teixeira beasting Kingsbury was impressive too, I wanna see him fight Pokrajac or Maldonado.

And I really enjoyed the Brandao/Elkins and Brown/Pineda fights. Two really competitive decisions. Glad to see Brown get the win and it seems he's gonna hold off on retirement too. Great fight I thought it was FOTN myself.

Oh and Jamie Varner :omg: its one of them cases again of a late replacement guy really taking advantage of a great opportunity. Amazing win, who'd have picked it to pan out that way? It shouldn't be that massive of an upset when you consider Varner's experience but given his recent struggles and Barboza's hype the manner in which Varner won was a shock.

I'm really hoping we get Varner vs Cerrone 3 now.

Fucking brilliant show.

• Paid Members

Dana announced at the post fight presser that JDS vs Cain 2 is most likely next.

Bonuses for the show

KO of the night - Dan Hardy and Roy Nelson

Sub of the night - Stefan Struve and Paul Sass

All got $70K. No FOTN bonus was awarded. Nice to see more than one guy get the bonuses. I'd have had Brown/Pineda as FOTN personally.

In my last post before the show started, I was curious to see how the first all heavyweight UFC main card would go either with quick finishes because of how hard heavyweights hit or the fights would have cardio issues. Thankfully it was the former. This was a really good fun show. In the opener Stefan Struve pulled guard and quickly submitted Lavar Johnson with a belly down Armbar in the first round, Stipe Miocic/Shane del Rosario was the best fight on the main card as Miocic lost the first round but stopped del Rosario in the second with elbow smashes to the face from the ground and Roy Nelson crumbled Dave Herman with a big punch ending the fight in less than a minute. In the co main event Cain Velasquez beat Antonio Silva up on the ground, busting him wide open with an elbow and in the co-main event Junior dos Santos easily retained his UFC Heavyweight Championship against Frank Mir.

EDIT:

According to Bryan Alvarez ‏@bryanalvarez, Mayhem is gone and Lesnar may be thinking of a comeback.

- Mayhem done. Dana said bullshit occurred backstage #UFC

- Dana regarding Brock: He was here, that says it all. Said he thinks he's coming back but won't say more. #UFC #WWE #RAW

- Dana says he and Brock are going to talk later tonight #RAW #UFC #WWE

- Brock texted Dana a week and a half ago and said he wanted to come to show, and to keep it secret #RAW #UFC #WWE

He's suspended in a WWE storyline and show's up at a UFC show Discussing "business"

The man knows how to generate interest in what he gets up to. I can't see him fighting in UFC till his WWE deal is done however. Would be a bit risky for Vince to allow Brock to go away and train/fight for 3 months and come back perhaps even more damaged goods.

I like Junior dos Santos. dos Santos comes across as a nice guy before and after his UFC fights but in them, he's fucked all of his opponent's up so far. Junior dos Santos is now tied with Georges St. Pierre for the second longest UFC consecutive wins today with 9, Anderson Silva's top with 14.

• Paid Members
According to Dana, Brock Lesnar being there was indeed due to business - he is supposedly considering a comeback to MMA.

Must have a clause in his WWE contract that allows him to do both, in that case.

Or that considering he only had 30 dates in his WWE contract, he might have a clause that says he can walk out at anytime. Nobody has ever said it was set in stone he was doing WrestleMania. Actually, a lot of people thought he'd be sick of WWE by next April and not do it. You could easily waste the remaining dates on his contract in the build up to SummerSlam and the following weeks after SummerSlam.

Also, the buyrate of Extreme Rules never went up and the ratings have been piss poor. And he doesn't sell any merch and his contract is astronomical. He's not lived up to expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in UFC by the end of the year and doesn't do WrestleMania.

Archived