UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, haven't seen this posted yet. They are still doing Primetime for this. I'm glad about that should be great. I didn't know they were going ahead with it until just now. Episode 1 airs tonight in the US so should be online by tomorrow.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say big favourite, no. He wasn't during the Lesnar or Carwin fight, and after his poor display against Cro Cop (which he won) a few were expecting Nelson to paste him.

But he lost against Lesnar and Carwin, that is hardly defying the odds.Nelson was a underdog against him with the bookies as well, most fans also picked Mir to win. As they did with every fight Mir has won since he beat Nog in 2008.I like Mir and you have a point people do write him of and he has worked his way back up. But, only once has he gone against the odds of what people generally think, he is a fighter who wins when he should and loses when he should. He does deserve this title shot but JDS is going to cream him.

Primetime was excellent this week. I am more into the JDS vs Mir fight than I was Jones vs Rashad.JDS is one of the most likable guys in MMA history, comes across as a genuine nice guy. Reminds me of GSP before Greg Jackson and greasegate forced a backlash against his character.Primetime is great TV when done right.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest I fully expected Cro Cop to beat Mir. I think me and 1sinN6 on here had a little debate on it. Turns out he was right.

I'll admit I was in a bit of denial back then on Cro Cop's decline. Of course I knew he was far from his best but I still thought he could beat Mir who I always thought was overrated massively after the first Lesnar and first Nog fights. But I was basing my prediction off their styles as if Cro Cop still had something left. I was about as disappointed as I've ever been watching MMA to see not only such a shit fight, but Cro Cop get knocked out at the end. That's when I finally accepted he's done. Losing fights to the likes of Schaub should have never happened either. He was as done as you can be and looking back he really should have retired on the Pat Barry win.

I'm still 100% sure that if both guys were at their best Cro Cop would have fucked Mir up pretty bad for the same reasons I think JDS will. Superior striking, faster, great sprawl, knockout power. Cro Cop of 2003-2006 destroys any version of Mir with ease for me. Only way I'd see Mir winning would be if Cro Cop followed him to the ground and got caught like he did vs Nog in Pride.

Best thing about Cro Cop vs Mir was the ESPN ad which they cocked up royally

es13-300x100-1819.jpg

As for Primetime, I haven't seen it yet but I know it's gonna be great. Mir's a cock but he's great on stuff like this, one of the best talkers in MMA and he never fails to get me pissed off and wanting to see him get twatted. He doesn't always come right out being a dick, he just makes little sly comments and takes little digs with that smug expression on his face and that's enough. The contrast of his personality to Dos Santos' being so likeable, combined with the backstory of the Mir vs Nog fights and you have the perfect recipe for a fucking brilliant Primetime series.

Diaz vs Condit was my favourite of the Primetimes so far but I reckon this will have it beat before I've even seen a minute of it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was just going on what I was reading on here and the few other MMA related things I listen to and read. As you say, Mir has been down played in a number of fights - partly because his conditioning is questionable and there have been a few fights where he's been in big trouble, before he got his win. It's why I have a sneaky feeling Mir may cause an upset, he's had this ability to defy the odds (in his fights) and find a win. Mir has a lot of weapons he can hit JDS with.Also, I missed that part about "every fight who has won in recent years though", hence why I gave you Carwin and Brock.I'm off to watch the Primetime now.

• Paid Members

I hope you're wrong Blackson I really hope you are. My three favourite heavyweights in MMA are Big Nog, Cro Cop and Dos Santos. I can't stand the thought of Mir getting the hattrick on them.

here's Primetime episode 1 for anyone that hasn't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGpN9QuI6Bg

• Paid Members

If JDS fights smart then he'll probably waste Mir, but we all know how a small thing can change a fight. Mir has the tools to take advantage of those small things, like he did against Big Nog. That's why I think Mir isn't getting enough respect.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's fair enough, I've said before that I think he's kinda gone from being overrated to slightly underrated more recently. The second Nog fight was the best win of his career by far for me. He showed toughness I didn't think he had in him and full credit to him for that comeback but even then he was fortunate that Nog abandoned the ground strikes and went for the guillotine. I'd give him a decent shot at any heavyweight in the UFC but I've always felt like JDS and Cain are the two worst match ups for him stylistically.

Mir is a top 10 Heavyweight, you would have to be mental to argue against that in my view.Where he ranks in the top 10 is the big question. I have him around 5, behind JDS, Cain, Barnett and maybe Cormier and Werdum. If he counts also Overeem. Some think he would lose to the likes of Big Foot Silva and Sergai, I disagree on that. I may also pick him to beat Carwin in a rematch, he is the more talented and technical fighter but he would have to fight smart.Mir will always be there or there abouts, I rate Lesnar above him on the all time HW list but some will disagree on that, same with Big Nog, Cro Cop and Barnett. Maybe Couture but I could go either way. JDS and Cain may have eclipsed him or will do eventually.I can agree with Big Nog being his biggest scalp. He looked like shit in the second one until he pulled of that amazing submission, he was very lucky Nog went for that submission instead of punching more. Still submitting Big Nog is a incredible achievment.EDIT: If Mir scrambles like he did against Tim Slyvia and armbars from the bottom, I would not be totally shocked, but I am still putting the farm on JDS (If I was a betting man)

• Paid Members

I see an early Dos Santos TKO. I just can't see Mir getting the the fight to the ground in any way. Mir will be forced to stand, and his plodding, right, left, uppercut combo will be met by a JDS barrage. Rest of the card really hasn't been discussed yet. It's changed so much, but it really is fucking ridiculous. Big Foot/Cain will be interesting. Both have power in their hands and are high level practioners in their respective ground games. I'd say it's between these two and Barnett/Cormier for who gets the next title shot. Really looking forward to Nelson/Herman. It seem's a winnable fight for Roy who has had a rough 18 months. His win over Cro Cop really didn't do much for him, he had a terrible fight with Mir and had the piss beat out of him for 30 minutes by Werdum and JDS collectively, the dude needs a win. Hunt/Struve should be wild. Struve just doesn't do bad fights and Hunt will hold up his end no doubt. The prelims look all kinds of crazy too. Brandao, Barboza, Miller, Sass, Hardy, Ludwig, Varner. A crazy array of talent and a few names too. What a fucking show this is going to be.Splendid.

• Paid Members

yeh it almost feels like 2 shows in 1. Because they've kept this whole heavyweight card together the undercard is full of fights that really should be on the main card, gonna be fantastic.good couple of weeks coming up :)

Archived