UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Only a month or so away now.

Junior-dos-Santos-vs-Frank-Mir.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD (ESPN)

Junior Dos Santos vs Frank Mir - UFC Heavyweight Title

Cain Velasquez vs Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva

Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman

Stipe Miocic vs Shane Del Rosario

Stefan Struve vs Lavar Johnson

FX PRELIMS (ufc.tv)

Diego Brandao vs Darren Elkins

Edson Barboza vs Jamie Varner

Jason 'Mayhem' Miller vs CB Dollaway

Dan Hardy vs Duane Ludwig

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Jacob Volkmann vs Paul Sass

Kyle Kingsbury vs Glover Teixeira

Mike Brown vs Daniel Pineda

Even Overeem's dodgy piss couldn't fuck this card up.

Amazing line up. I like the all heavyweight main card. And the prelims portion could easily be an event by itself. Even as awesome as the last year or so has been, this is the first show I recall in maybe ever where I'm excited about literally every fight. Well, we'll see who they match Big Country up with but for the rest of the card there's no fight that's 'just there' for me.

Dos Santos vs Mir has a great story behind it. There's no real bad blood between them but the history between Mir and Big Nog and Dos Santos' ties to Nog make this very interesting. They were planning a Primetime series for JDS/Reem and I really hope they go ahead with it for this fight. Mir's a better talker than Reem anyway and the possibilities for them to play up Nog's broken arm and JDS coming for revenge could make this the best Primetime yet I reckon.

Cain vs Bigfoot should be fun. Both coming off quick KO losses so they'll be out to impress. I'm really interested to see how Cain looks coming off his first loss especially.

Hunt vs Struve has FOTN potential written all over it. Struve's never in a crap fight and Hunt's on a run of good form at the minute. Dunno who to root for in that one cos I love both of them.

All the prelims look excellent. Barboza/Dunham could be a belter. I can't wait to see Diego Brandao again. Pineda's a promising young fighter and Brown's his first big step up. Teixeira's UFC debut finally. Hardy and Mayhem need a win to stay employed and Sass vs Volkmann is a really intruiging for me. Sass is a beast on the ground but Volkmann's got a really tough style to fight against, top grappling and doesn't take risks. It will be interesting to see how Sass matches up with him on the ground.

On paper this could be the UFC show of the year if the fight's deliver like expected. This and UFC 148 in July are the ones I'm most excited about in the coming months.

werdum-dos-santos.gif

frankmir.gif

1.gif

mirnog.gif

What say you?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

there's not many fights where i get an instant feeling on what exactly's gonna happen, but that's what i get here. JDS first round KO, Mir will no doubt try and stand for a bit and it'll cost him. Mir was on queer street against Big Nog early on and if JDS lands it's gonna be over. Mir will sell it well and you always have that unpredictable factor in his fights but i can't see anything other than a JDS KO.

• Paid Members

Yeah if you look at Mir's ways to win this fight and take into account their strengths and weaknesses, it doesn't look good for him.

His most obvious threat is with submissions but to do that he's gonna have to either

a) get him down

or

b) drop him standing and then lock on a sub.

Taking him down has proved damn near impossible. Better takedown artists than Mir have tried and failed. Carwin couldn't do it in 15 minutes. Cain tried and couldn't do it. Gonzaga and Nelson couldn't do it. I'd be very surprised if Mir is the first man to successfully takedown Cigano and keep him there.

The second option is even more risky. Mir has some power but he's well and truly outgunned on the feet against JDS in my opinion. For my money JDS hits harder, he's quicker, more accurate and he's got a really solid chin as evidenced by him eating bombs off Carwin and Nelson and not even flinching or backing up.

So if that's the options for a submission, his best chance, then it's not looking good at all. Trying to KO Dos Santos will probably lead to him having an early nap for the reasons above. And let's face it, Mir doesn't have the gastank to be winning a 5 round decision.

Then you add in the factor of Mir having snapped Nog's arm just to give Dos Santos some extra motivation.

Well, Mir's fucked isn't he.

ccdance.gif

• Paid Members

I'd just like to add that people have been writing Mir off for the past couple of years, yet he's managed to come away with the wins. He knows how to survive and win in there.

I think this is going to be a much trickier fight for JDS than one with Overeem because Mir has far more weapons he can use. With Overeem you know what you're getting, Mir is pretty bloody great at a lot of things.

• Paid Members
I'd just like to add that people have been writing Mir off for the past couple of years, yet he's managed to come away with the wins. He knows how to survive and win in there.

I think this is going to be a much trickier fight for JDS than one with Overeem because Mir has far more weapons he can use. With Overeem you know what you're getting, Mir is pretty bloody great at a lot of things.

Yeah to be fair, I think Mir's actually gone from being massively overrated (after his wins over Brock and Nog the first time), to being a tad underrated more recently.

When predicting a Mir fight, I just can't shake the image of 205er Brandon Vera wasting him with knees, or Dan Christison taking him to a close decision. He has improved since then no doubt. Mostly in his stand up.

I just think of all the heavyweights in the UFC, Dos Santos is a nightmare style wise for him. Too good on the feet and too hard to take down.

My mate who is a big fan of Mir (cunt), reckons Mir being southpaw will throw Dos Santos off. I doubt it. We've only saw him fight one lefty so far and that was Cro Cop who he wrecked. His coach Luis Dorea has trained boxers for years, I'm sure he'll have him ready and be bringing in the southpaws for sparring. Also, Dos Santos has access to Little Nog and Anderson Silva who are both southpaw and better boxers than Mir so he should be fine.

• Paid Members

I know this is going to sound strange, but Frank Mir is the only fighter I've literally had nightmares about. There's something about Frank Mir that scares the shit out of me. I think it's something to do with the fact that Mir snaps limbs. You don't often see it, but Mir has been responsible for a fair few.

There is something about an Armbar that terrifies me as an MMA fan, and after that Big Nog snap Mir just comes across scary.

However, in relation to this fight, I can't see past a JDS win.

One thing that is in Mir his favor is that he was already training for a kickboxer. JDS now has a complete diff opponent to study.

Love the HW card! Main card full of studs Struve, Mir, Hunt, JDS, Cain and the undercard is stacked too. Great show on paper :)

Here is to another broken brazilian arm!!!

nog-arm-2_large.jpg

Look at the sad face of Big Nog. Love it.

• Paid Members

Dana White said in the post-UFC 145 interviews that the card is gonna change up a bit, so they may switch around Del Rosario/Gonzaga too. He confirmed that Hunt/Struve is staying together but we might get some other changes.

• Paid Members

I like the new fights. They've done a good job on this card, despite me being disappointed about JDS/Reem not happening, Overeem's absense hasn't put a dent in the card for me.

I really like the sound of Miocic/Del Rosario. That's a good fight to make. I'm hoping Del Rosario comes in in good shape, isn't this his first fight back after a car crash or something? I've liked what I've seen so far of Miocic aswell.

I'm rooting for Gonzaga too, I like Big Country but I've always felt like Gonzaga's a lot better than he's shown at times. I'd love to see him find some consistancy. He looked good last time out and I was glad to see him going back to his BJJ. Not sure what the tactics will be against Nelson though, good grappling and a concrete chin. Should be good.

Archived