UFC 146: 'Dos Santos vs Mir' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Varner, really!? in a way im kinda happy Zufa's brought him back cause he's one the figthers i love to hate the most but after the Dakota Cochrane loss i really thought it was probably the end of his shot in the big league...never say never i guess.

Plus it leaves room for a possible Cowboy-Cerrone 3 somewhere down the line, which needs to happen.

• Paid Members

Yeah Varner's return's a bit out of the blue but he's got a couple of quick wins recently and he's a former WEC champ so kind of to be expected. I'm glad he's back though, I expect Barboza to beat him but I'd also love to see a third fight with Cowboy down the line. They haven't done him any favours throwing him at Barboza but he's got the experience and stranger things have happened. Especially with late replacements.

Nelson vs Herman is gonna look ridiculous if Herman keeps the beard/wooly jumper look. Should be a good fight though. I bet Dana will be whinging at their appearances again. Clearly jealousy that he's lacking in the hair department. I can't wait for this one. Caveman fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah he's not as big an underdog as people might think, especially if he fights smart tactics. I'd expect Barboza to win this but like I say these late replacements have a way of fucking plans up. Ebersole/Lytle springs to mind.

• Paid Members

Mir's been talking and Dos Santos has been respondingMir

"When you fight Dos Santos, I don't think it's any secret, he has no chance of winning the fight if it goes to the ground. The only time I've ever seen him take a shot is when he's pretty handily winning the fight and I think he just does it just to...maybe a change of pace to throw people off their game. But you see when people engage him, he's a throw punches and run kinda guy and he's not going to sit there and get taken down and fight that battle. If he was capable of doing it, we'd probably have seen it already. Fact is, he avoids it like it's poison."

Dos Santos

"Frank Mir is dangerous. He's a fighter that needs to be taken seriously. But he's also a fighter that talks too much. His style of promoting fights is to just talk a lot.He previously said that he was faster than me. That's only in his dreams.I think when Mir's in a good spot in the fight - when he's in a good moment and in a good position - he's very dangerous. But Mir doesn't really know how to get through rough spots in a bout.When he gets in those rough spots, his courage goes out the window; his aggression goes out the window.MIR: Dos Santos an easier match-up than CainWhat happened against Nogueira in his last fight was really an anomaly, because Mir got caught standing up. He got caught. He was ready to go down, ready to go out; and he was able to get through that and come back. That never happens in Mir's fights.Usually when Mir gets into a little bit of trouble during a fight, he can't come back from it."

Mir's a crafty cunt. Trying to make it as if Dos Santos is a coward if he avoids the ground obviously hoping to bait him into a grappling match to prove himself. Smart but I doubt it will work. And saying Dos Santos throws punches and runs? Haha. He did a lot of damage running from Carwin, Cain, Nelson, Cro Cop, Yvel, Gonzaga, Werdum etc.JDS is right about Mir being a bit of a frontrunner but as much as it pisses me off to admit it he does have more heart than I've previously given him credit for. Coming back in the first Lesnar and second Nog fights proves that. The thing in them 2 fights though, was both them comebacks were on the ground. They were fights where he was being ground and pounded and he was able to catch a submission. He was getting hammered but at least he was on the ground where his chances are maximized. Dos Santos isn't gonna piss about on the ground with Mir and give him the chance to catch a submission. He'll do what he always does, defend takedowns and do as much damage with his hands as he can. I don't think Mir will survive that. He'll take a few shots and realize he can't take him down and his arse will go. Then he'll either turtle up and wait for the ref to stop it or Cigano will blast him into oblivion. That's my thinking.As for Mir's 'he avoids it like poison, if he was any good on the ground we'd have seen it by now' stuff. That's all well and good but why would JDS try to grapple guys when his current style is working just fine? He's not come close to losing in the UFC yet so why change a winning formula? Of course I think Mir is the better grappler and JDS one career loss was a submission, but that doesn't mean he hasn't improved in the 5 years since or that he doesn't train his ground game. JDS by KO, round 1 for me. And I can't wait.

For a guy who is quite bright, Mir has at times had a low fight I.Q.Compare how they both fought Carwin, JDS picked his spots and almost finished Carwin in the first, but he avioded a brawl which was Carwin's one and only chance of winning if he landed flush with power, JDS knew what we did not that night that he has TDD that is reminisant of a Prime Cro Cop.Mir on the other hand clinched with Carwin and got in close where Carwin was bound to land at least once flush, even Lesnar was not that stupid as he got caught trying to box him from a distance. We all know how that ended for Mir.Thing with JDS is, he does back of if he rocks someone and does not finish them and tends to then just outbox them to win on points. He has only done that twice and one was with iron-chinned Roy Nelson, so it is not really a flaw. He gets the W all the time and the knockout most of the time, as usually its one shot and its lights out when you fight JDS.I cannot see someone like Mir who has been caught several times standing with JDS and not being caught. Despite him ragdollong Nelson, I cannot see Mir taking down JDS if a power wrestler like Carwin could not. Mir will either stupidly trade and get knocked out early or get caught eventually after being outboxed for a good few rounds. At a stretch JDS may coast and win on points like he did against Nelson/Carwin after rocking Mir a few times but being unable to finish.Either way Mir is fucked.Edit: In regards to JDS on the ground, his TDD and takedowns dispayed in the Carwin fight showed he can picks things up quick and is not a one trick pony. I believe he is quite handy on the ground, he is a good athelete and training with Big Nog I am sure helps. As said he will not need it here though.

• Paid Members

He'll finish Mir I'm sure of it. If Mir gets past round 2 then he'll be battling his crap cardio as well as all the threats from JDS. As for JDS backing off and not finishing. I think he's smart in that way, it's certainly a more intelligent approach than blowing your wad like Carwin did vs Brock. And like you say he's only gone the distance twice it's not like he's got a problem finishing guys. Generally if JDS has you hurt you're pretty much fucked. But he only goes all out for the kill if he knows he can finish. Smart, no different than Anderson Silva in that respect minus the dancing. The Nelson fight I just put down to Nelson being ridiculously tough. 99% of guys would have been put away under that assault. He probably should have put Carwin away to be fair, he blasted him that first round but seemed to wanna pace himself after that, he still put a massive battering on him for 3 rounds though. It's amazing how he came from nowhere and went on the run he has. I hope he keeps the belt for a while.

Archived