Worst show you've attended?

OhPieceOfCandy

FRIDAY 10TH MARCH 2000 * WCW UK TOUR * BIRMINGHAM NEC

(1) Norman Smiley pinned David Flair.

(2) Booker T pinned Dave Finlay.

(3) Bam Bam Bigelow pinned The Wall.

(4) Hacksaw Duggan pinned Brian Knobs.

(5) World Tag Team Champions The Mamalukes beat The Harris Twins.

(6) Lex Luger beat Vampiro by submission.

(7) Curt Hennig pinned Ric Flair.

I remember this show closing with Buff Bagwell

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FRIDAY 10TH MARCH 2000 * WCW UK TOUR * BIRMINGHAM NEC

(1) Norman Smiley pinned David Flair.

(2) Booker T pinned Dave Finlay.

(3) Bam Bam Bigelow pinned The Wall.

(4) Hacksaw Duggan pinned Brian Knobs.

(5) World Tag Team Champions The Mamalukes beat The Harris Twins.

(6) Lex Luger beat Vampiro by submission.

(7) Curt Hennig pinned Ric Flair.

I remember this show closing with Buff Bagwell

• Paid Members
It was a sold out jam packed nec aswell. Didnt the whole tour debacle make bbc watchdog? Im sure

There was loads of complaints about it.

It did. Crying children = parents complain. I found it hilarious, given at no point on telly or in print did WcW announce a talent roster of people that were coming over. Goldberg and Big Kev were injured anyway, and I didnt expect Hogan or Sting to bother, so I set myself reasonably low expectations. I couldnt decide what was sadder, the small children getting upset because their hero Goldberg or perhaps their hero Sting hadnt turned up *, or the fact that half the arena seemed to leave when they realized Flair/Hennig was the main event. I know that a lot of the crowd were said disappointed children and their parents and not fappers like me that appreciated seeing two of the best of my youth wrestle each other in person, but I still found it sad.

* No, that actually made me laugh. I'm ashamed to say that until I have my own (which I cant see happening to be honest) I hate little kids.

What killed that main event was Buffer hyping up the match as a battle between two old rivals who'd feuded for years and years. Flair was in a big feud with Hogan on television at the time, so we were all getting pumped for Hogan. Poor Curt Hennig with his generic WCW music and Aston Villa shorts never stood a chance. :-( I do remember Hennig and Flair putting on a bit of a mat clinic in the opening stages to try and win round the crowd. If it'd been announced at the top of the show, I'm sure most would have enjoyed the match as a main event, but the way they set it up just killed it dead.

Whats depresses me is that 12 years on that card really appeals to me. Probably for nostalgia but its only the Duggan Knobbs match that would offend me. Certainly would have been more excited about it than most of the TNA show this year and SD at the O2 last week where I sat bored for the first 90 mins.

Just seen this card from the Albert Hall in 1995 to

WWF @ London, England - Royal Albert Hall - June 22, 1995 (5,500; sell out)

Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Duke Drose

The Smoking Gunns defeated the Blu Twins via disqualification

WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze pinned Bertha Faye

Adam Bomb defeated King Kong Bundy

Men on a Mission defeated the New Headshrinkers

The Undertaker pinned Kama with the tombstone

Shawn Michaels pinned IRS

Bret Hart defeated Hakushi with the Sharpshooter

Thats gotta rank up there for poor UK shows.

In terms of disappointment for Major shows PWG European Vacation 2 stands out

Although the Main event and Aries Vs Zebra Kidd were great

Everything else felt really flat, There were two matches that used purely UK guys and the other bouts just didn't live up to my expectations. If it had been a UK branded show it would have rated much higher with me. However after the success of the first UK PWG show(one of my all time favourite shows) this one didn't feel like anything special.

I went to that Albert Hall show in 95, first wrestling event I ever saw live, it was a great show for a 9 year old. Can't really remember too much about match quality or any of that shite but I remember having a good time.

The Barbarian was Sionne and they were renamed New Headshrinkers, I believe, Harmonic.

Edit: Ian's new gig.

• Paid Members
The Barbarian was Sionne and they were renamed New Headshrinkers, I believe, Harmonic.

On telly mind, I'm pretty sure every match they had they were just "The Headshrinkers" after Sionne took over from Samu.

It's a bit of fairly common retconning, along with people referring to Shawn's finisher from 92 as the "Teardrop Suplex" even though no one ever called it that at the time.

That wasn't a bad show. Bret phoned it in, but Michaels was doing a great "me vs broomstick" and the La Fitte-Droese match was shockingly good.

Fair enough it was just an on card errr for me, the fact I was 9 in 95 means if I had been there I probably would of loved it

Archived