Worst show you've attended?

OhPieceOfCandy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once 'worked the curtain' (and smoke machine) at CRW's first ever show, Underground 1. I didn't see alot of it from the Gorilla position but seeing the 'workers' get themselves hyped up backstage (including a cringeworthy huddle complete with a "CR-Dub" chant) Although, this show marked my one and only appearance on any wrestling show as I came to the medical aid of Johnny Something-or-other who had just had the shit kicked out of him.

Insurrextion 2003 was disappointing, it was so disorganised from the point of view the line up kept changing (Jeff Hardy disappeared as he left just before or after, Goldberg was advertised for a few days then probably told Vince to piss off).The worst show I've seen goes to Smackdown Summer Bash Tour 2005 in the SECC, Glasgow. This was an appalling show - the other nights didn't look bad, but this was brutal. The crowd didn't wanna be there and neither did the wrestlers. Lowlights include Heidenreich vs Orlando Jordan and Mark Jindrak vs Matt Morgan.Brutal.

• Paid Members

My god this brings it all flooding back. I was involved in brawl & the midlands scene for a few years. After reading John Listers book republished on here recently it got me thinking about posting some memoirs of my own on here in the style of the guardians secret footballer (diary of a secret shitarse, midlands wrestling memoirs 2000-2005 I thought was a good title).

There are some hilarious stories to tell, and some less hilarious ones also, depending on your view, but mostly hilarious shit arsery. While I do the research ( it will probley come to no suprise my memory is a little hazy due to Brit Indy wrestlings very understandable policy to drink/drugs on the job) here is a interview I found from circa 2001/02 when two people left. Brawl to set up their own training school/promotion. Incase you were wondering they never ran a show.

http://www.wrestling101.com/101/printpage.php?id=89

The WWE Summer Bash Tour 2005 show in Glasgow as mentioned above was pretty poor but had some highlights. Plus Austin was there so seeing him in person meant I went home happy-ish.

Worst show was SWA's Clan Wars event in 2006. It wasn't so much that the matches were bad (O'Connor/O'Neil Vs Bull/Butcher, Darren Lewis Vs Micken and Ice XVII Vs Jamie Walker were rotten) but they were all so bloody long. Everything seemed to drag the whole night and by the time the main event of Team Sinners Vs Team SWA came on, I just didn't care.

Even Majik attacking Conscience with a shovel and the announcement of a casket match were met with total apathy because by that point the show had been going close to 4 hours and I just wanted to get to the pub. My mate had come up from Newcastle for the show as I'd been raving about SWA at the time but the fact we're still friends after I made him sit through this show amazes me to this day.

• Paid Members

Oh, go on then. Any excuse to wheel this out again...

I've been to small shows and I've been to pay per views, from watching FCW in front of twenty people in a pub in Gornal to large arenas, spanning from the West Midlands to Sumo Hall, Tokyo, and I've considered all of them to be various degrees of enjoyable. I've seen British shows, the WWF/WWE, TNA, ROH, New Japan, All Japan, Noah, Dragon Gate and joshi, and enjoyed all of it, albeit different types of enjoyment stemming from different types of pro wrestling show, and I've learned to adjust my expactations accordingly and not to expect the same type of enjoyment from a card involving AJ Styles and Samoa Joe to one featuring Johnny Saint, or Hiroshi Tanahashi.

But one show stands out above them all as the one where I find the most... challenge, shall we say, in saying what I enjoyed about it.

FRIDAY 10TH MARCH 2000 * WCW UK TOUR * BIRMINGHAM NEC

(1) Norman Smiley pinned David Flair.

(2) Booker T pinned Dave Finlay.

(3) Bam Bam Bigelow pinned The Wall.

(4) Hacksaw Duggan pinned Brian Knobs.

(5) World Tag Team Champions The Mamalukes beat The Harris Twins.

(6) Lex Luger beat Vampiro by submission.

(7) Curt Hennig pinned Ric Flair.

Anaemic is the best word for the lineup, and most of it didnt quite even manage to pass for "fun" other than Big Norman's routine, coming out in a Villa shirt with Southgate on the back, performing the big wiggle on Daffney etc. I admit an evil enjoyment turning around to small children all around me and telling them "Goldberg's not here. Hmm? Sting? No, he's not here. Can't be arsed. No, Hogan neither. Sid's not here either. Yes, I know DDP is in the program, but he isn't here either."

The main points I took from it looking back where that I got to see Curt Hennig wrestle Ric Flair. In hindsight I'm bloody glad I got to see Curt wrestle before I die. At the time I thought "I'm glad I saw Flair wrestle before he retires." What a fool I was.

Worst show was SWA's Clan Wars event in 2006. It wasn't so much that the matches were bad (O'Connor/O'Neil Vs Bull/Butcher, Darren Lewis Vs Micken and Ice XVII Vs Jamie Walker were rotten) but they were all so bloody long. Everything seemed to drag the whole night and by the time the main event of Team Sinners Vs Team SWA came on, I just didn't care.

Come to think of it, I wasn't a fan of that show either. Darren Lewis vs. Micken was pretty good though I thought. That tag match you mentioned was particularly bad. Good to see how far Butcher and O'Conor have come since then.

Come to think of it, I wasn't a fan of that show either. Darren Lewis vs. Micken was pretty good though I thought. That tag match you mentioned was particularly bad. Good to see how far Butcher and O'Conor have come since then.

I recall them having a cracker the month before in Clydebank but remember feeling really underwhelmed by the Clan Wars match. Of the 4 participants in the tag match it's surely no coincidence that Damo & Renwick have progressed the furthest.

Archived