My Best and Worst Match? #1 - WCW

tiger_rick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A day before the anniversary of Owen Hart's death, in the very same arena that Owen Hart died, a WCW PPV ended with one of their wrestlers falling from a great height as the commentators speculated on if he was still alive or not. Pretty classless to be fair that. Who the fuck had that idea?

• Paid Members
A day before the anniversary of Owen Hart's death, in the very same arena that Owen Hart died, a WCW PPV ended with one of their wrestlers falling from a great height as the commentators speculated on if he was still alive or not. Pretty classless to be fair that. Who the fuck had that idea?

Not quite. Slamboree 2000 was on May 7th at the Kemper Arena, Owen Hart died there on May 23rd 1999. Still pretty classless though.

The Mega Powers (Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage) defeated The Alliance to End Hulkamania (Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Meng, The Barbarian, Lex Luger, Kevin Sullivan, Z-Gangsta and The Ultimate Solution) (with Woman, Miss Elizabeth and Jimmy Hart) in a Doomsday Cage match (25:16)

- Savage pinned Flair after Luger "accidentally" punched Flair with a glove.

The worst match ever.

I was about to put that, didn't see it until last year when i went through that era on justin.tv and that whole era of Hogan was complete guff. Some great undercard stuff but it's the one time Hogan has sucked beyond belief.

• Paid Members

Nash vs Goldberg at Starrcade's my favourite. The clash of the titans, everyone remembers how big Goldberg was at the time, but Nash was white hot all year as well, from when the Jackknife was "outlawed" after the Giant match, right through the Wolfpack days and the lead up to Starrcade. I've never looked forward to a match as much as this, before or since. It more than lived up to expectations, too. It's everything a big match should be, two larger than life stars slugging it out, with the crowd going INSANE for everything from the entrances to the finish and every move in between. It couldn't have gone any better! Michael Buffer's on his game, Schiavone, Heenan and Tenay are on their game. The finish is perfect, giving the fans what they want (the belt on Nash) while keeping Golberg as strong as ever. In an ideal world it would have set up several months of tv, where does Goldberg go from here? Why did Hall help Nash? Did Nash know it was going to happen? It's brilliant, the total package, everything came together on the night, it's just a shame that everything fell apart shortly after.

I'll need to have a think about the others, and the worst. There was a 20+ plus minute Roddy Piper segment that deserves recognition, though. He was assembling a team for some reason, and "wrestled" three or four non-wrestlers in a row. It was never-ending! I'd Google it or have a look around on Youtube, but I don't want to relive it. Someone will know what I'm on about...

I'll need to have a think about the others, and the worst. There was a 20+ plus minute Roddy Piper segment that deserves recognition, though. He was assembling a team for some reason, and "wrestled" three or four non-wrestlers in a row. It was never-ending! I'd Google it or have a look around on Youtube, but I don't want to relive it. Someone will know what I'm on about...

Aye, that was really shitty. It was for Uncensored I think, only it apparently came to nothing, because he basically teamed with the Horsemen. John Tenta and Luther Reigns were part of it iirc.

Aye, that was really shitty. It was for Uncensored I think, only it apparently came to nothing, because he basically teamed with the Horsemen. John Tenta and Luther Reigns were part of it iirc.

God yeah, that whole segment was terrible. I remember reading it was all Piper's idea and you've got to think someone let him do it because they knew it would bomb so badly. When they finally got to the guys who were meant to get through the crowd had turned on the segment so badly that Piper had to get on the mic and tell them not to be so hard on them. The next week on Nitro they basically vetoed the entire thing by having the Horsemen replace the team of nobodies.

Least favourite match for me has got to be Lance Storm Vs Booker T for the Heavyweight Championship on Nitro.

It sounds good on paper and probably was, shame that we basically never really got to see it as the camera kept cutting to Mike Awesome doing his fat chick gimmick at ringside. It's the epitome of a Vince Russo production.

"Fuck the wrestling, lets have a guy feeding a fat bird a doughnut!"

My favourite would probably be Rey Mysterio Vs Psichosis at Bash At The Beach 96. The main reason I am picking this is because it was the first time I had seen Lucha Libre style wrestling in my life, and I was blown away by it. The finish to the match is still one of my favourite spots ever, Splash Mountain!

• Paid Members

Here's Bischoff straight after that Nitro on Prodigy half kayfabing, half burying the angle. Knowing how WCW worked, they had to have allowed this angle knowing it was going to bomb.

Question: What were you thinking when you assembled Piper's team for Uncensored? I know you want to get the guys from the Power Plant some exposure, but I don't think this is the time to do it..

Bischoff: Let me clarify a few points. Number 1, the individuals on Piper's team are not members of the Power Plant. In fact, neither one of them have ever stepped foot inside the Power Plant. Two of the individuals who Piper beat before he selected his team were from the Power Plant, but the two members he selected were not. Roddy Piper picked that team. You have to realize that Roddy Piper is not formally associated with WCW and does not have the luxury of selecting from WCW talent so he put

Question: Due to the poor fan response, will Piper's team for Uncensored be changed in any way?

Bischoff: That's up to Roddy Piper. I hope, for his sake, that he changes the team...because this might be his last shot at Hollywood Hogan.

Question: What do you think of Roddy Piper's team?

Bischoff: I wish him well. They have a lot of heart...a limited amount of talent, and an uphill climb when they step into the ring at Uncensored.

Question: Eric, do you feel that Piper's choice of team members will help increase the buyrate at UnCensored?

Bischoff: Only for those people who want to watch Roddy Piper get his tail kicked.

Question: Eric, thanks again for joining us! Tell me the thinking behind the Roddy Piper segment last week when you had virtual unknowns and John Tenta go out. Wouldn't this have been a good time to reintroduce Ed Leslie and The Nasty Boys?

Bischoff: You would have to ask Roddy Piper what the thinking was at that point. I had little or nothing to do with that decision.

In addition, Scott Hall said in his shoot interview that all the locker room were laughing and buying the angle. Hogan even stepped out of his personal dressing room and bought a few cans in and watched it with the lads, doing a running commentary over it. They must have been out to show Piper up. Not like they needed much help. It was one of the worst angles I've ever seen. Rotten.

• Paid Members

^ I still don't think that match is THAT bad. It's not good, but I've seen many that are far worse.

Least favourite match for me has got to be Lance Storm Vs Booker T for the Heavyweight Championship on Nitro.

It sounds good on paper and probably was, shame that we basically never really got to see it as the camera kept cutting to Mike Awesome doing his fat chick gimmick at ringside. It's the epitome of a Vince Russo production.

"Fuck the wrestling, lets have a guy feeding a fat bird a doughnut!"

Utterly bizarre, wasn't it? It was probably one of the best matches either of them have ever had and instead we get the Fat Chick Thriller on camera every 15 seconds.

Archived