PC David Rathband shot by gunman Raoul Moat found dead

C/WMark Please!

Was it confirmed that she was the victim of the domestics?

Yeah, it was.

Really? He was de-arrested as is my understanding.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-...arrested-149773

Clearly there are lots of things that might be the case. But he was charged with nothing, convicted of nothing and he's dead after losing his sight in service to law, order and justice. Get a fucking grip.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is less sad than when a non policeman dies, police are supposed to expect to be killed, same as soldiers, I hate that the media makes every dead cop or soldier into a national tragedy.

I've never met a cop or soldier who wasn't a dickhead.

You can never hit a woman but you can shake her.

Spitting in their face is better than shaking. It causes them no physical harm at all, but is the ultimate insult. You could still hurt someone by shaking them, if you were angry enough.

It's a Chris Rock joke, funny though... And true

I've given a few of these a bit of a kicking in their own homes when they've got gobby and tried going for us for locking them up

the only good copper is a dead copper.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's intolerance.

• Paid Members
police are supposed to expect to be killed, same as soldiers

What? Soldiers in active service maybe. The Police shouldn't "expect" to be killed in the line of duty. It's tragic when it happens.

I hate that the media makes every dead cop or soldier into a national tragedy.

Jesus.

I know a couple of cops who were terrific guys and I've met a few who were nice guys too. Dealt with one or two knobheads. Don't pigeon-hole people. It doesn't matter if it's police, soldiers, football fans, message board posters. There are good people everywhere and there are shitarses everywhere too.

• Paid Members
This is less sad than when a non policeman dies, police are supposed to expect to be killed, same as soldiers, I hate that the media makes every dead cop or soldier into a national tragedy.

What a grim job that would be. No-one is expects to be killed in there line of work. The possibility is higher on the mentioned jobs but still no-one goes in sighing heavily to themselves thinking "ahhh schucks... well I'll be dead soon anyway, I'm expecting that". Banging on about the media in this case is a bit pointless but because this story was a high profile one, then of course people are going to find this sad. He was a cop he got a buckshot in the face. yes, this was a danger he faced but still it was a terribly unthinkable experience the PC had to experience and then try and adjust and live with. The 'dickhead' no longer could perform his job and also lost his sight. Regardless of what happened in his marriage, he also lost his wife. But it's OK, he's just a dick'ed copper innit. Christ alive man, what a tunnel vision statement. Good day.

I agree with Rick that a man harming a woman is the lowest of the low. Anyone who engages in physically beating a woman deserves to die - slowly. There is no place in the world for violence against women.

In my experience, the police are happy to put these bullies in their place if they have the attitude of 'she's my wife, I'll hit her when I want'.

And surprisingly, there are still quite a few (older, mainly wealthy) men who genuinely think like that.

And I don't apologise for admitting that I've given a few of these a bit of a kicking in their own homes when they've got gobby and tried going for us for locking them up (when the wife/children aren't there, obviously).

Violence + violence never = right, but an exception is made for people like this.

'He tripped on the way to the car, Sarge...'

;)

Would a "gobby" woman who had assaulted her husband get the same treatment?

Sad end to a sad story,

The loss of his sight, clearly effected him and changed him, more than he ever let on. Victim's/Survivor's guilt, pride and a failure to adapt to his new condition because it wasn't his fault will change whole facets of your life. You can put a brave face on it on the outside and carry on and try to do stuff, but if you dont accept it on the inside, it eats you up and doesnt leave much in the way of the person you once were.

Coming back from that kind of thing is almost impossible and, irrespective of the physical damage, you cant ever be that same person that you were before. What you can be is a different person, dare I say it a better person, but there has to be some kind of acceptance that you have a condition and have to work with it going forward. Without acceptance, its so so very hard to even function, your personality changes, you get frustrated and angry and get really, really fucking depressed. Those closest to you get the brunt of that anger and rage, and feeling helpless to change what has happened and being stuck with something that you had no control over is a complete and utter mindfuck of the highest order

Clearly, the policeman couldn't deal with it. Its not a failing on his part that kind of life change can and has destroyed many in the past and will continue to do so in the future, it doesnt matter how strong you are, it can still beat you and is something that can take a long time to fix or at least become managable. This guy seems like he could'nt see a fix, and with no other options, put an end to it, because he didn't want to or was mentally unable to fight any more

RIP

• Paid Members
I agree with Rick that a man harming a woman is the lowest of the low. Anyone who engages in physically beating a woman deserves to die - slowly. There is no place in the world for violence against women.

In my experience, the police are happy to put these bullies in their place if they have the attitude of 'she's my wife, I'll hit her when I want'.

And surprisingly, there are still quite a few (older, mainly wealthy) men who genuinely think like that.

And I don't apologise for admitting that I've given a few of these a bit of a kicking in their own homes when they've got gobby and tried going for us for locking them up (when the wife/children aren't there, obviously).

Violence + violence never = right, but an exception is made for people like this.

;)

You're the reason the police get grief.

• Paid Members

I know a couple of cops who were terrific guys and I've met a few who were nice guys too. Dealt with one or two knobheads. Don't pigeon-hole people. It doesn't matter if it's police, soldiers, football fans, message board posters. There are good people everywhere and there are shitarses everywhere too.

You're right of course, but I was only talking about people I've met and I never said anything to the contrary.

What a grim job that would be. No-one is expects to be killed in there line of work. The possibility is higher on the mentioned jobs but still no-one goes in sighing heavily to themselves thinking "ahhh schucks... well I'll be dead soon anyway, I'm expecting that". Banging on about the media in this case is a bit pointless but because this story was a high profile one, then of course people are going to find this sad. He was a cop he got a buckshot in the face. yes, this was a danger he faced but still it was a terribly unthinkable experience the PC had to experience and then try and adjust and live with. The 'dickhead' no longer could perform his job and also lost his sight. Regardless of what happened in his marriage, he also lost his wife. But it's OK, he's just a dick'ed copper innit.

I appreciate your comment and I apologise if I've come across as negative or disrespectful, despite how it may appear I don't approve of disrespecting the dead and I saw this as a thread about a news item rather than an R.I.P thread.

Obviously I expect this to be covered in the media, it is a high profile case, but I don't think they need to portray him as a hero (which they have) or that it's some sort of tragedy (which they have too).

I maintain that all police that I've met have been a certain type of person (the type that think being a cop entitles them to beat people up and brag about it -it's not their job to dispense punishment, just to apprehend criminals. They should be enforcing the law, not breaking it)

I question why anyone would want to join the police or armed forces in the first place. It seems to me that it's less about doing right and helping people than an organised network of bullies and I've never seen anything to make me think otherwise.

What's the loss of his wife got to do with anything? If my blind husband (allegedly) hit me I'd probably fuck off too.

I guess saying they should expect to die wasn't worded quite right and it was more about the aftermath rather than the actual expectation.

A cop or soldier should be willing to risk their life for "justice", that's part of the job I thought, is it not? And by extension when it happens it's an unpleasant but expected occurrence, not a tragedy yet it is almost always represented as being an incredibly sad event and they're more revered than if it was a civillian being killed. I'd feel differently if there was a draft but these people chose this for themselves.

Wearing a badge does not automatically make you a hero whether you die or not.

I apologise if anyone finds this disrespectful but I'm just responding to what people have said.

• Paid Members

I've always found the idea that anyone in the armed forces who gets sent into active service is automatically labelled a 'hero' or 'brave' as a bit strange. As you rightly said, it's what you've signed up for. They're no more a 'hero' than a surgeon performing an operation or any one of us performing our chosen professions. The armed services offer relatively decent wages to people with otherwise limited career options, I'm sure some soldiers are heroes but this title should be reserved for actions above & beyond the call of duty.

;)

The filth don't do irony, do they?

Archived