PC David Rathband shot by gunman Raoul Moat found dead

C/WMark Please!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That says to me they are after desperate and potentially violent people that they can mould into killing machines. Which is how armies have always operated.

If you're smart then signing up for a career in the forces during peacetime would be the obvious choice surely

Er... that makes no sense if you think about it for a minute. Firstly, if you're smart then you'd know that peace isn't exactly a guaranteed state. Secondly, you'd also know that the army runs plenty of operations even during peacetime (which contribute to the continuance of that peace).And thirdly, why would the army want to recruit people who don't want to go and fight particularly? That would be like a football club signing players who don't like to run about a bit.
If course it makes sense. Everyone realises that peace isn't a guranteed state but you've far more chance of being shipped straight out to Afghanistan after basic training now than in times of peace. If you're joining the army due to your options being limited, to take as much as you can out of it & reduce (as much as is in your control) the chances of you coming back with all your limbs then joining up during peacetime is a far better option than joining when their resources are stretched & they need people desperately.

That says to me they are after desperate and potentially violent people that they can mould into killing machines. Which is how armies have always operated.

If you're smart then signing up for a career in the forces during peacetime would be the obvious choice surely

Er... that makes no sense if you think about it for a minute. Firstly, if you're smart then you'd know that peace isn't exactly a guaranteed state. Secondly, you'd also know that the army runs plenty of operations even during peacetime (which contribute to the continuance of that peace).

And thirdly, why would the army want to recruit people who don't want to go and fight particularly? That would be like a football club signing players who don't like to run about a bit.

If course it makes sense. Everyone realises that peace isn't a guranteed state but you've far more chance of being shipped straight out to Afghanistan after basic training now than in times of peace. If you're joining the army due to your options being limited, to take as much as you can out of it & reduce (as much as is in your control) the chances of you coming back with all your limbs then joining up during peacetime is a far better option than joining when their resources are stretched & they need people desperately.

Again, you're predicating your argument on the assumption that people join the army and don't want to fight. I'm saying that's false. If nothing else, the army screening process will look for people with a natural tendency towards making good soldiers, and that includes a desire to get out there and twat them.

• Paid Members

Unless you're morbidly obese have some other medical problems I'd have thought you'd at least get as far as basic training.

You're right Loki, I was working under the assumption that most people signing up for the military don't want to go directly into active combat. I'm sure there is a percentage of people who want to get stuck right in, or at least think they do until confronted with the reality of it.

Archived