PC David Rathband shot by gunman Raoul Moat found dead

C/WMark Please!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17216389

The police officer shot and blinded by gunman Raoul Moat has been found dead at his home in Northumberland.

Northumbria Police force said David Rathband had been discovered at his house in Blyth.

Moat shot his former girlfriend Samantha Stobbart and killed her new boyfriend Chris Brown in Birtley, in July 2010.

The next day he shot and blinded PC Rathband as the traffic officer sat in his patrol car in Newcastle.

For almost a week Moat was the subject of a huge manhunt which ended when he apparently shot himself dead after a stand-off with armed police in the market town of Rothbury, Northumberland.

The officer lost his sight and was fitted with prosthetic eyes.

In September, last year PC Rathband announced he and his wife Kath were separating.

Poor guy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
When he still had his sight?

Only thing I've heard was that he was questioned recently about an incident at his home. I'd never condone domestic violence, it's the lowest of the low. I can have a bit of sympathy with this guy though. His life was stolen from him. His last 18 months or so must have been hell.

RIP.

Was it confirmed that she was the victim of the domestics? It would be quite easy for a woman to assault a blind man after becoming so frustrated that her life had been transformed into that of a glorified baby sitter. We had a brief discussion about this possibility in work this morning.

I agree with Rick that a man harming a woman is the lowest of the low. Anyone who engages in physically beating a woman deserves to die - slowly. There is no place in the world for violence against women.

I agree with Rick that a man harming a woman is the lowest of the low. Anyone who engages in physically beating a woman deserves to die - slowly. There is no place in the world for violence against women.

In my experience, the police are happy to put these bullies in their place if they have the attitude of 'she's my wife, I'll hit her when I want'.

And surprisingly, there are still quite a few (older, mainly wealthy) men who genuinely think like that.

And I don't apologise for admitting that I've given a few of these a bit of a kicking in their own homes when they've got gobby and tried going for us for locking them up (when the wife/children aren't there, obviously).

Violence + violence never = right, but an exception is made for people like this.

'He tripped on the way to the car, Sarge...'

;)

Someone very close to me had a terrible reaction from the police after being beat up by a man. They took her to the cells (the lad had since fled the house) and told her she must be either drunk or attention seeking to waste their time, despite her being injured. They never even went back to investigate the lad. He had to be dealt with by civilians. Unfortunately, I have very little faith in police after this and various other incidents that yielded similar results.

In my experience, the police are happy to put these bullies in their place if they have the attitude of 'she's my wife, I'll hit her when I want'.

And surprisingly, there are still quite a few (older, mainly wealthy) men who genuinely think like that.

And I don't apologise for admitting that I've given a few of these a bit of a kicking in their own homes when they've got gobby and tried going for us for locking them up (when the wife/children aren't there, obviously).

Violence + violence never = right, but an exception is made for people like this.

'He tripped on the way to the car, Sarge...'

;)

Tell me, do you only save this treatment for those under suspicion of domestic abuse? Or are those accused of rape, murder, serious assault also dealt with in the same manner?

Personally I can't stand the police and it's posts like the one above that reiterate to me that the only good copper is a dead copper.

Archived