Raw Discussion 20/2/12 *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just watched the Cena promo to see what the hype was about. I liked it, especially towards the end - it would have come off better if he wasn't still dressed like a cunt, but you can't have everything I suppose. Everyone's always known he has the talent to do that sort of thing, it's just that he/the company has chosen to stick with goofy formulaic shite instead for 80-90% of his time at the top.

But one promo (which, to be fair, doesn't touch The Rock's best work in the Corporate champ and Hollywood eras for my tastes) isn't going to make me flip my allegiances for Wrestlemania, and I can't really get into this question of whether he's 'in the right', mainly because it all boils down to whether you believe Cena would have jumped at the chance to go into films full-time if he had the chance of being anywhere near the kind of crossover star The Rock is. My view is that he would have - it might be speculative, but I think his claims of being this die-hard WWE loyalist ring ultimately hollow when he's never been on The Rock's level in terms of mainstream appeal. Jamie Carragher might see himself as 'Mr Liverpool', but it's not like he ever had a realistic chance of playing for Barcelona.

• Paid Members

Thats the line they are trying to blur though. They want people to love or hate Rock and Cena for the right reasons as opposite to loving and hating them because they aren't doing the business on the stick. They want the likes of you (someone who doesnt like Cena, but isnt a cunt) to be into this storyline, instead of just being put off by the performances by one of them. If Cena and Rock were doing the same shite they were doing around Survivor Series time, it would turn the viewers off and definitely crush interest in this match.

Its why I loved the promo the other day. Its a statement of intent that there might not be any cringe worthy moments in this feud. My big criticism about Cena was how he just rolled over and died for the Rock last year. He was even pissing himself the night after Rock gave him a kicking at Mania. Cena may still be stretching credibility with the "ran off to Hollywood thing" but it makes his fans go "yes, you tell him" and it makes the Rock's fans go "fuck off". Like how Liverpool fans wont turn around and say "well ... you did put a transfer request in before" when Steven Gerrard talks about never wanting to play for another club. Its a good way to create a divide without actually turning either of them.

Must say I didnt have much confidence in this storyline, looking at the Kane and Cena stuff. I thought we'd get 6 weeks of gay jokes and silly catchphrases. The promo by Cena was encouraging I thought.

• Paid Members
Its common knowledge that Undertaker's had a load of facelifts. Thats why he went from looking like a hardcase biker to Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror. I always thought it was strange that he'd be vain enough to get a face lift, but not for the full on hair transplant.

I imagine having a rest helps too.

Either way, i'm hoping he fucks the long death black leathers off too. If he's going to change parts of his 'get up' i'd also like him to change his clothes and his music. Keep the general idea of the music, but remix it in to a metallica based rock tune. If they are using Memory Remains as a backstage seg tune for him, i'd like a fresh undi.

• Paid Members

Agreeing a lot with the posts of Magnum and Ians response up there. Ians very much right in his assessment, as i'm someone falling into that without even realising. Before reading Ians post i was all ready to reply to Magnum in concurrence and mention how Rocks previous promo/argument from last year to Cenas same old argument just shoots it down completely. But, everyone seems to have forgotten Rocks 'this business is in my blood, you came to this business because you were a failed bodybuilder' promo. Which is a shame because it was total dynamite, full of fire, passion and utterly believable.

With regard Hayashis post and Takers music. It absolutely should still be 'Ain't no grave'. I'm immensely disappointed it's not this time round as it surely fits even better than ever right now.

I meant to mention in my earlier post how it was a shame Undertakers smirk and pat on Triple Hs shoulder seemed to go un-noticed and unaddressed for the most part and just seemed to miss the impact as i thought that was a great little touch to cap off the whole thing.

• Moderators

The Rock can say "this business is in my blood" all he wants. Fact is he wouldn't have done it at all if it wasn't for the fact he couldn't even get into the CFL, and even then only was full time for about five years. Whereas Cena was in UPW with Chris Masters ages and ages ago. He did the Chris Masters thing of building the body to get into wrestling, not getting into wrestling because he failed like The Rock.

Yet another reason to jump on the bus and ride TEAM CENA.

I know that's not your point, but I'm doing the propaganda innit.

• Paid Members

That was a very, very good Cena promo. To be followed up by a brilliant match at Wrestlemania, then by the usual jokey horseshit inside 8 days.

• Moderators
Was already to jump all over you until seeing that last bit. As i have no issue with that entry into pro-wrestling whatsoever. Sometimes, in the case of Cena and Batista it creates megastars. Eventually.

What did you think of that Rock promo though Butcho?

Don't say that, it reminds me of Ritchie.

Honestly? I'd forgotten about that promo altogether until you reminded me of it. My memory for current stuff is pretty poor as it's always about 3:45am when I watch Rock promos on Raw these days. Rock was at his best last year when he wasn't cracking gay jokes and saying Cena had a clunge. When he was getting all fiery he was terrific. And that looks like what we're going to get this year.

I'd fucking kill for a sitdown with the two of them the week before.

• Paid Members

Man, that was a bastarding good Raw. Pretty much wiped out memories of the crappy Elimination Chamber.

Eve's turn was great. I thought she did really well with the acting, actually, and I think she's easily the most interesting woman on the roster right now. Aside from Kaitlyn, obviously. Interesting to see what they do with her next.

Wasn't a fan of Sheamus beating Mark Henry so easily, they're going to have to do some great building with Henry if they want him back where he was at some point. Made Sheamus look strong, but I still wish we'd had a proper long feud between those two that we never got.

The little tag match in the middle was quite good as well, and not just for Rosa wiggling her marvellous arse. Gives R-Truth and Kofi summat to do for a while as well. Plus they're both black so they obviously make a good team!

Big Zeke v Otunga was crap but developing an angle. Zeke looks all wrong in those little trunks. They don't compliment his physique and strengths at all. He looks a right pillock.

I thought HHH / Undertaker was absolutely brilliant in places. Yeah, Taker was a bit stuttery at the start, but he hasn't done a live promo for bloody ages, plus the several fuckwits in the crowd hardly fucking helped. The exchange with HHH was good, but they perhaps should have strung it out for one more week, or even two. HIAC should be interesting. We won't get blood, though, before anybody gets their hopes up.

And bollocks to it, I'm looking forward to Jericho v Punk. The Jericho return has been appallingly done since the end of the sound of silence, leaving all the promos and vignettes looking hugely pointless - but it will be a great match, I'm pretty sure of that, and a good addition to the Wrestlemania card. That girl enjoyed herself as well, didn't she?

As for Cena, what more can I add to what's been said? I don't think it was Cena at his BEST, but he sounded like he meant it, the crowd actually seemed with him, and he's destroying Rocky in these exchanges. If Rock puts on another unfunny comedy showcase next week then I'll be hugely disappointed because we need a promo of honesty from him - not more shitty jokes.

Good!

Archived