Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

I will plug mine now Dis After Dark. A podcast for the more mature Disney fan. Were only on show 2, but had some good feedback and made the top 10 travel podcasts in Itunes!

I think you need to think of things that are of interest to you and see what comes up. You'll be surprised!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

They're old now, but available everywhere online in all the usual slightly naughty places, the complete Russell Brand Shows from late 05-08. Get the pack, and you're set for fucking ages. Absolutely bursting with piss funny content too. I know he's a pretty polarising figure, but I've also known people who hate him do a complete 180 on him and realise just how bloody ace he is after listening through some of these. Highest recommendation.

Completely agree with this; I still stick this on now and again. It's got such rich content: one episode they're talking to Daniel Johnston, then next Will Self, the next they're in the USA, the next in an ice cream van etc. Really hilarious too, it may even turn you to loving Noel Gallagher, if you thought he was a cock for over 15 years.The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo is quite good. He likes his wrestling too.Other ones I listen too have already been mentioned.On the subject of podcasts, Here's The Thing by Alex Baldwin is so disappointing. It's one massive arse lick, followed by Baldwin doing his deep husky 'I'm an proper intellectual, me' voice. Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Awards Moderator

Shakespeare's Restless World started this week on Radio 4 and all the episodes are available as podcasts - if you're into literature or history at all I can't recommend them enough. Same sort of style as A History Of The World In 100 Objects but focusing on Shakespeare and ... well, the world around him. The first episode was all about Drake's navigation of the globe and the English trouble with the Spanish, and how they informed everything from throwaway Puck lines in A Midsummer Night's Dream to the naming of Shakespeare's theatre. Really interesting if you like that sort of thing.

For film podcasts I stick with Kermode and Mayo's 5Live podcast and the Empire podcast. The bloke hosting the Empire podcast is an annoying turd though. You've probably seen him popping up on Film 2012 talking about how excited he is for the Avengers film or something.

For my comedy needs, as NEWM said the Russell Brand show was terrific. His best work ever is in those shows.The Ricky Gervais and Frank Skinner podcasts are pretty great too.

For the literature types, This American Life is great. Selected Shorts is also very, very good. It's audio recordings of actors reading out works of literature - obviously it's hit and miss depending on the work and the actor, but most of the time it's a fine listen. The New Yorker: Fiction podcast is similarly good, but seems more dry and flat.

Can't stand Kermode and Mayo anymore. I used to enjoy Kermode's style but then it all became way too self-aware and the constant references to 'wittertainment', Jason Isaacs, their disgusting 'code of conduct', the BBFC guidelines, Kermode's horrific impressions of Danny Dyer, Renee Zellweger, Gwyneth Paltrow et al, drives me fucking mental. Their live shows are a disgrace too and I would imagine the assembled audience to be the biggest collection of mouth-breathing mutants imaginable.

The show is only tolerable when Boyd and Floyd fill in.

• Paid Members

Agreed. I remember listening to Richard Bacon on the radio, and he had Mayo and Kermode on to talk about their anniversary. Both proceeded to deconstruct their whole show/schtick, proving what a pile of self-aware tits both men are.

I also hate it when Mayo reads out feedback from the listeners. Mayo's smugness is bad enough, but then you have added 'look at me, I'm well clever' from the listeners on top of that.

I think I've listened to one episode in the past 18 months.

Their forced Odd Couple bullshit is absolutely infuriating. Kermode will make some pretentious reference and the second it escapes his lips, Mayo will play dumb and pull him back, making a five-second segment last for two fucking horrendous minutes.

I need a better film review podcast and I need it now.

• Moderators

Kermode's been nothing but a troll for at least the last fifteen years. There used to be somewhat of a semblance of being a genuine critic about him, but he always felt more like a sixth form media studies student showing off by dropping references to Kurosawa and RAGING about Hollywood blockbusters than someone with genuine passion and knowledge. It's all such a show with him. He exposed himself for what he is a few years ago with his "I don't like television. In fact, I've never watched the Simpsons. Which one's Homer?" posturing. Either 1) He's an actual critic who's got such a whopping cultural hole of the most well known and culturally significant TV show of all time that his opinions on film are worthless, or 2) He was trolling, just to perpetuate that image of Mark Kermode as Angry, Cultured Teddy Boy who Doesn't Play by The Rules; in which case, also disregard his opinions, because shouting for ten minutes about how furious the new Pirates movie makes him is just more of the same. If you had to sum Mark Kermode up, it would be that thing about how the people who say they care the least about what others think are always the ones who care the most.

Supposedly his breath stinks too.

their disgusting 'code of conduct'

What's this?

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I'm amazed that anyone thought Kermode was good in the first place, because he really never has been.

Filmspotting's alright, they do a good mix of new reviews and features on older films.

http://filmspotting.net/

Football Ramble- As stated earlier it is probably the best football podcast out there, broken up really nicely into sections and really funny, personal highlights for me are 'going for glold' where they guess a past footballer from clues given, and the hall of fame which is always really well thought out and tells a great story of a legendary footballers career

Football Weekly- James Richardson of Football Italia being James Richardson- that's enough for me!

• Paid Members
Their forced Odd Couple bullshit is absolutely infuriating. Kermode will make some pretentious reference and the second it escapes his lips, Mayo will play dumb and pull him back, making a five-second segment last for two fucking horrendous minutes.

I need a better film review podcast and I need it now.

They really have got crap over the years. I used to listen to them without fail but can count on one finger the number of their podcasts I've made it through without switching off.

Back then I probably agreed with you as well.