The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
Jona Lewie's Christmas song "Stop the Cavalry" was released in August. That also blows the mind.

That wasn't a Christmas song at the time of the release, however it's since been associated with it. It was war protest song!

As for the rest of the list, I think it's too late for Top Gun to be making an appearance but I'm very surprised it's not been in the countdown yet. It's fucking Top Gun, for Christ's sake.

My nap for number 1 is Shawshank, however given the feel for what's been in the top 10 so far, it'll probably be Snakes On A Plane or something.

• Paid Members

I'm concerned that Rocky VI is going to be #1. I hate that movie.

The Running Man is a shitload of fun, but in all consideration, it just seems really dated and cheesy, in a not so good way. It looks and sounds like something that would have been showcased by a shit trailer in front of some shit 80s movie, probably alongside Wizards of the Lost Kingdom.

• Paid Members
Must just be me then. It was probably my 2nd most rented out Arnie vid after Commando.

Not that any of his films would have made my top 10, but if you did have to list 50, those two would probably sneak in lower down the list.

It's not just you, I fucking love Running Man. It would have been in my Top 10 (ahead of any of the other Arnie films, at that). I'm stunned it's not in the 50 yet, given that amount of Arnie love going on.

• Paid Members

I too loved The Running Man when I was young, certainly more so than Total Recall. However, when I look at it now, the script is awful in spots, with one liners throw in there as if the writers felt forced to include them. In addition, some of the sets look like a BBC series of the same era, and apart from Sub Zero, the enforcers are all a bit wank and die partly due to their own clumsiness/lack of foresight.

Whilst some films acquire charm as they age, this hasn't. The bits that show its age highlight its shortcomings, not the things from that era that were great.

I like the Running Man, at nearly 25 years oldit is beginning to age badly, but it still is a good watch, fun and has some nice touches, some decent SFX as well as some decent action. Okay so Mick Fleetwood is in it. 'You have the com, Mr. Sulu' I still dig it out now and then, its fun, and not meant to be taken as a serious satire on the way soeciety has become in the future, even if the original Novel/la was penned by Stephen King

'Drop Dead!'

'I don't do requests'

------------

'I'll be back'

'Only In a Rerun'

and so on

• Paid Members

I enjoy The Running Man but agree that it has aged pretty badly. Not so much the script or plot, but the whole "dystopian future" where the world is corrupt and everyone is in it for themselves thing has been done to absolute death, and wasn't even original when Running Man did it.

I think as a setting just by itself, whether it was The Running Man or Blade Runner or V for Vendetta and so on, it takes a little away from films because it always looks so tacky and clich

• Paid Members
I'm concerned that Rocky VI is going to be #1. I hate that movie.

Huh?

I hope you've just doubly confused yourself and aren't trying to say you hate Rocky IV :angry:

My bad... fucked up the numerals. I hate...

Rocky IV.

The robot. The montages. Dead Apollo. The flag waving. It's wank.

I like Rocky VI. The one that came after Rocky V. Another one that I like. And which exists.

It'd be hard to imagine a top 50 without Empire, 12 Angry Men and Shawshank Redemption. The latter 2 ould definitely been in my top 10, if I'd done one.

I don't care what people would have put in their lists, if they hadn't been too feckless to do one. You had literally weeks, if not months, to write down 10 films. It's like people who complain about the government but didn't bother to vote. If you really liked those films enough, you would have fucking voted :angry:

/rant

• Paid Members

I love Die Hard, I love 3.

2 I've never enjoyed, it just always felt a bit of a listless mash of things which never made me care.

4 I enjoyed for what it was with the exception of the special effects. There seemed to be a bit of a rash of films doing things because they can, parts of Indy 4 did it too. Just because you can doesn't mean its a good idea or fun to watch. I like to switch of a get into the film and stupidly OTT effects in action sequences stop that because they feel like such a parody of them selves.

I may be alone there.

• Paid Members
It'd be hard to imagine a top 50 without Empire, 12 Angry Men and Shawshank Redemption. The latter 2 ould definitely been in my top 10, if I'd done one.

I don't care what people would have put in their lists, if they hadn't been too feckless to do one. You had literally weeks, if not months, to write down 10 films. It's like people who complain about the government but didn't bother to vote. If you really liked those films enough, you would have fucking voted :angry:

/rant

I know what you mean. I feel pretty bad for not voting now, having seen how great this thread has turned out. It's been great to follow. I don't think I've complained about any of the results for that reason.

My biggest reason for not voting is that I'm so indecisive it would have taken me ages for me to compile a list and I'd have only ended up pissed off with myself when I later realised that I'd left something that I love off.

If this happens again, I'd make the effort, I promise!

Is he complaining though? Sounds merely like he's commenting, a bit like myself.

I never voted either, and make no apologies for it, but I still don't feel like i'm out of line chipping in with the odd observation here & there. If the thread was only intended to be open to folk who voted, maybe you would have been better making that clear at the beginning.

My bad... fucked up the numerals. I hate...

Rocky IV.

The robot. The montages. Dead Apollo. The flag waving. It's wank.

"Yo... I wanted a sports car for my birthday, not no walking trash can!"

"If he dies, he dies"

"I must break you."

"You're all heart, Rock... Now blast this guys teeth out!"

I fucking love Rocky IV

Edited by Megan Midas