The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
(Bearing in mind I'm not particularly into action films/sci-fi/westerns/war films...know it's pretty dumb to write off so many genres but there you go, I have exceptions to the rule...ideally I like something with strong characters and dialogue and I can cope with a featureless plot).

You're an idiot.

You're an idiot.

What a nicely phrased, constructive criticism.

Cheers for the other responses guys, I'll check them out.

Why do you have to be such hard work all the time? Just watch good films.

It's not being hard work, it's just liking specific things. I've seen enough sci-fi to know that I don't like the genre in general (with very occasional exceptions). It's better to state the fact and avoid people giving me recommendations of stuff I won't enjoy.

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF

Nope, sorry. Don't like The Assassination of Jesse James, and it's inclusion in this list above Unforgiven is, well, unforgivable.

Hard to put my finger on why I didn't enjoy it, but I guess what Nev said - there's not a single character with whom I could find any common emotional ground, and therefore quickly grew bored of it. I think it suffered by the fact that No Country For Old Men came out soon afterwards, which was just vastly superior.

I'm not saying it's a bad film, just not an interesting film for me.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Jesse James but Unforgiven is in a completely different league of quality. Also while I have nothing against long films, there is no reason for Jesse James to be as long as it is. I've heard the original cut is like6 hours or something. No film needs to be that long.

I also agree that No Coutnry For Old Men is vastly superior and hope it's one of the remaining films on the list. They both came out at the same time so it stole pretty much all the awards glory (and box office success) of Jesse James but I think it had every right to.

Brad Pitts a great actor fairplay,I remember during my film studies A Levels we had to pick a subject to do as part of ouf exams and I choose Mr Pitt and how he's been pigeon holed as just a pretty face when he's had many great roles and has proved himself as a great actor. 12 Monkeys,Seven,Fight Club,Snatch,Babel all come to mind as well as some of the great films he's been in of late.I also thought. he was the best thing in Oceans 11. Top bloke in my opinion

Adding to the away from the beaten path for Brad Pitt

Cool World- Just for for the hell of it

Kalifornia- Where he plays a great evil bastard

Legends of the Fall- Not seen it for years, but remember that he was quite good in it

• Paid Members

Kalifornia is a great call. It's a really good film. Surprised no-one's mentioned his turn in True Romance, really funny stuff.

For me, personally, he hasn't quite hit the heights that he should have done but then again there are quite a lot of his major films that I haven't seen yet so my mind could change quite easily on that front.

Kalifornia is a great call. It's a really good film. Surprised no-one's mentioned his turn in True Romance, really funny stuff.

Burchill's Buddy did!

WU Jane, go for Johnny Suede as well, if only for the well skill barnet.

• Paid Members

Ahh, so he did, Keith. I'm being blinded by hunger.

On the subject of Westerns, Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy only managed two nominations in total - one each for A Fistful Of Dollars and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

By way of a quick glance down the complete list, I think I'm right in saying that not a single John Wayne film received a single vote.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

Have you got me on ignore Gladders? :( I have actually never seen Kalifornia though, that's going straight on the LoveFilm list.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

Kalifornia got raped by the reviewers when it came out, but I saw it a few years ago and it's aged well. Reminded me of White Sands and the like.

• Paid Members

I'm glad to see Burn After Reading getting a bit of love there. I bloody love that movie and very nearly put it in my top 10. I actually wish i had put it in place of any of my bottom 3 now. Oh well.

The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford is the second from my list to make it i think. Which i'm pleased to see. I was beginning to think i'm not going to get many making the cut here, i reckon there will only be 3 others, tops.

Glad this made it though, i'd actually forgotten i'd voted for it. No Country... is fantastic and i reckon it will make the list. It's the performances of Pitt and Affleck here though that are big part of my love for it. Just glorious.

You should watch it quicksharp Gladwell, if you need more of a reason, Zooey Deschanel is in it.

This thread has made me realise i have never seen Total Recall and need to rectify that situation. nostalgIANs post makes me feel like a massive slice of my childhood has never been realised.

Yes! So glad Assassination made the list, and so high too. It was my number 1, I can't think of a single flaw with it and I'm hoping someday the 6-hour version surfaces. Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are two of the finest actors of our generation and they show it here.

The aforementioned Nick Cave scene may well be my favourite scene ever. 'It was two children, not three.' Here it is for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEttDTdZbi4

Perfection. Watch it instantly Gladstone. Andrew Dominik needs to make more films.

Edited by DeanoTheGame