UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had it 48-47 to Condit. Condit stuck to the gameplan perfectly and deserved his win. Diaz couldn't do much, other than trash talk and walk around after Condit. To say Condit ran away the whole fight is stupid, he was getting in and out landing kicks and punches. The way he managed to get away from the cage everytime it looked like Diaz was going to tee off on him was great. Have to give credit to Condit for not getting sucked into a street fight. If Diaz had took it to the ground a couple of rounds earlier he would've won it, but he clearly thought he was winning the fight anyway.

Man Nelson can take a beating. He's never gonna be champion and wouldn't do anything at 205 neither, but he's a good gatekeeper. Werdum is a great fighter, but I can't see him beating JDS or Cain. It has to be Mir next for him really.

Kos/Pierce wasn't up to much. With Herb taking 2 points from Leeroy earlier in the night I was 100% expecting Kos to get a point taken away for the constant poking motion he was getting warned about. I dunno who I'd like to see Kos face next, my choice would be Fitch, but we know that won't be happening.

Barao needs to get a title shot next, I'd love to see him face Cruz.

I thought Starks would upset Herman. It looked like it could happen, but once Starks was on his back he was done.

I have to agree with wand on a couple of things, Caceres/Figueroa was my FOTN as well. Also with his over all opinion on Caceres, I fuckin' hated him on TUF, but in his last couple of fights he's really impressed me. He has a real slick ground game, he should've finished the fight last night, but Figueroa's sub defence was really good. It was a really enjoyable fight.

There wasn't a fight on the prelims that I didn't enjoy watching actually, they were all pretty good.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FotN was picked, imo, to not reward Diaz for the fight and the shitty promo burying Condit.

Diaz has to learn from prowrestling.. if you get beat and you bury the guy.. YOU just got beat by the guy with the ''baby legkicks''..

Roy Nelson looked horrible /rant !!! Getting your ass kicked by JDS for 3 rounds is fine, but Werdum? Nelson made zero effort to get out of a fucking muay thai clinch!! Has this guy SEEN a kickbox match in his life? He just let Werdum do this to him for what seem like minutes...

And then they all praise him for his chin and the fact that he kept coming. He's just a dumb big guy.. and joe rogan was all over his dick for JUST being a tough guy.. Werdum was scared when he fought Overeem, here he didnt fear Nelson. Roy Nelson's the shits and because of all the punishment he took in his life, he's now a 35, overweight, slow as FUCK nothingfighter..

The Demian Maia of HWs just beat you in a brawl. Although props to Werdum showing he can do more than lay on his back

/rant over :)

• Paid Members

I had Condit winning, he executed a perfect gamelan. I was surprised that Diaz had so little for him seeing as he essentially stuck to the same tactic for 5 rounds but out struck Diaz brilliantly. It seems I'm the only one who liked the increased amount of stats & info from the commentary team? They started doing this more on the last Fox show, it gives the whole show much more of a 'US sports' feel which I like. I imagine it may have helped any new fans viewing as they helped illustrate how despite Diaz was (seemingly) the aggressor he was getting out struck by Condit. Carlos showed great professionalism by not rising to Diaz's taunts & not getting into drawn out exchanges with him. Tactics like that might work with people like Paul Daley but someone like GSP would laugh it off. Diaz's hissy fit afterwards was laughable.

Big Country needs to drop down to LHW, a match against Griffin or Rampage could make for a decent first fight at that weight class. That said, Werdums clinch looked great.

New intro looked awesome, again..much more professional & more fitting for a big sports event.

• Paid Members

Dead Mike Nelson drop to LHW? Seriously? He'd probably die with that weight cut, plus he needs to drop to HW first. Although I get the point from the fights POV.

I had Condit winning, I thought he took rds 1, 3 & 4. I don't really think that walking around smack talking is Octagon control. Also, no one complained when Griffin beat Rampage with "Baby leg kicks".

I agree with what others have said about Diaz and his petulant child act promo post match. To be honest I hope he does go. His behaviour before in Strikeforce, then with the skipping press Confs. Now this, I don't care how exciting a fighter he is, this behaviour is not making MMA look good. I don't want to see the rematch either, I'd rather Diaz fought Kos next.

• Paid Members

I totally forgot about the intro. I really like it, it fits well with the way they're trying to present the product now. Looks like there was some serious time and effort put into it, the 'breaking walls' visuals were very nice. They need to get rid of the 'Face the pain' fighter intro now too as it doesn't fit along side the cleanliness of the opening package.

Haven't found any YouTube links yet, but here is linked from MMAOpinion.co.uk

Click

• Paid Members

I had Diaz edging it rounds 1, 2 and 5. Obviously the stats are against Diaz with the strikes, but i felt he just shaded it. I must admit I did find Condit's game plan irritating to watch. Whilst I can't argue it was a game plan that ultimately worked for him, as a viewer I didn't like it. Obviously that statement comes across as one of those fans who just wants blood, I can assure you it's not meant that way.

I literally lost track of how many times Condit was running away from his opponent, but in reality I know Condit was never going to win in a straight forward boxing match. Diaz needed to up the pace, get into Condit as quickly as he could and force him up against the fence, but it seemed Diaz played straight into Condit's game plan.

I would hope that Dana White urges both into a rematch as waiting till November to defend your title is quite ridiculous.

Regarding the intro, I was so happy to hear that a new one had been created and when I saw it I thought it looked great. However, to be then hit with the normal crappy intros (where the fighters read a script, badly, stating how they are going to beat their opponent) followed by the god awful 'Face the pain' was a let down and frankly overkill. I'm hoping it's just the UFC's way of easing in the new intro to eventually get rid of old one.

Dead Mike Nelson drop to LHW? Seriously? He'd probably die with that weight cut, plus he needs to drop to HW first. Although I get the point from the fights POV.

Nelson came in at 246 for the Werdum fight, doubt he cut an extra 20lbs just for the hell of it

• Paid Members
I literally lost track of how many times Condit was running away from his opponent, but in reality I know Condit was never going to win in a straight forward boxing match. Diaz needed to up the pace, get into Condit as quickly as he could and force him up against the fence, but it seemed Diaz played straight into Condit's game plan.

See, I didn

• Paid Members

See, I didn’t see what Condit was doing as 'running away'? He was on the back foot but every time he was close to getting his back up against the fence, and being forced into an exchange with Diaz he'd quickly spin under, usually landing a strike on the exit & getting back into the middle of the octagon only to square up again afterwards.

I agree to a degree, but I just felt it was Diaz chasing Condit all over the cage and Condit tagging him due to him giving Diaz the run around. It wasn't running away as I stated, as it was his game plan. I simply didn't enjoy it.

I agree to a degree, but I just felt it was Diaz chasing Condit all over the cage and Condit tagging him due to him giving Diaz the run around. It wasn't running away as I stated, as it was his game plan. I simply didn't enjoy it.

Just because Diaz was chasing doesn't mean shit, Condit hit him with more strikes. If Condit hit with one of the spinning elbows he was throwing the fight would have gone differently in my opinion. Diaz is a guy who you don't want to stand in front of and let him hit you. So Condit was getting out of the way of that, I don't see how anyone could score it that Diaz won that fight.

Archived