UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to seeing Stephen Thompson to make his debut. For those who don't know him, he used to be a kickboxer and ended with a record of 56-0 (39 by KO) and is currently 5-0 in MMA. Don't let his kickboxing background persuade you though, he is also a BJJ black-belt & a black-belt in Karate. Not to mention he seems a pretty cool guy - spends alot of his spare time volunteering at schools/nursing homes as well apparently.

The guy is a bit of a underground icon.

• Paid Members

i love how one little online piece can get me excited about a fighter...i'd never heard of Stephen Thompson until yesterday, did a little reading up and holy shit! i can't wait to see what happens in that one. That's the beauty of following combat sports closely, all you gotta do is a little digging and you'll find yourself getting all hyped for any kinds of stuff, i love it!

Same with that Michael Kuiper dude, looking forward to seeing what he's all about.

UFC 143 prelims just got a whole lot more interesting :)

• Paid Members

anyone else fancying an upset in the Pierce/Koscheck fight? i grouped Pierce in with Johnny Hendricks at 170, both guys have been on the prelims for a couple of years racking up wins, whenever you get a solid wrestler with heavy hands i like to think he has a shot against most fighters and we've seen Koscheck get complacent in these kinda fights before, i think Pierce is due a breakout fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah never knew about Thompson, got me interested. Kuiper too.

I love the undercard for this. I already near creamed myself over the potential of Barao vs Jorgensen earlier in the thread. That should be a corker, very possible FOTN I think and probably a contenders fight aswell so a lot on the line. I love that fight.

Agreed with people sniffing a possible upset with Pierce/Kos too. Pierce is a very good wrestler and heavy handed. And Kos doesn't have the best chin and fancies himself as a striker. I can deffo see him getting too cocky and Pierce bouncing some knuckles off his bleached pube laden head. I'd love to see it.

Werdum vs Nelson could be fun, but I could see it being crap too. Depends what shape and gameplan they come with. We've seen them both look great but they've had some shitty fights aswell, remember Werdum vs Arlovski? If it stays standing I think Werdum actually has better technique but I'd fancy Big Roy to get the better of him. He's got the power advantage.

The prelims have some good stuff too. Bruce Leeroy vs Edwin Figueroa could be a sleeper on this card I reckon, they've both been having some really good fights on the prelims and I think this will turn out to be a fast paced all action fight.

I'd expect Matt Brown vs Chris Cope to be short and sweet and Matt Riddle usually has fun fights. Dustin Poirier is always worth watching aswell.

Love this card.

Going through some of my old fight collection and am looking at Diaz when he fought Daley to now... he looks like he's had more work done.

EDIT: By that, I assume he's been back to the plastic surgeon over his scar tissue/sharp orbital bone issue. His eyebrows look a lot less puffy than they did less than a year ago.

• Paid Members

Yeah I see what you mean, definitely less puffy now than a year or so ago.

Diaz quote

"You see me. What you see is what you get. You get real martial arts, you get real fighting, you get a real warrior mentality. Some people aren

• Paid Members

Yeah you can't sleep on Condit. I wouldn't be surprised if he won this. If Condit fights smart and uses a lot of leg kicks I could see him winning on points for sure. Diaz never blocks kicks, look at the Cyborg fight. He just eats them and finds a way to win.

Condit has an amazing chin aswell and unlike Daley, Cyborg etc he's trained for a lot of 5 rounders as WEC champ so I think he'll be more equipped to handle that. All depends how he copes with Diaz's relentless attack and pace.

They match up pretty even in most areas I reckon. Could be a close one if it goes to the cards, could just come down to one guy making a mistake. I'll stick with Diaz by decision in a classic. It's hard to pick against Diaz when his opponent isn't a wrestler, I've been wrong on that enough times that I'm not picking against him in this fight.

Sherdog's breakdown guy also picked Condit.

I am picking Diaz but I am not disguarding Condit. One quote I do believe is one on Primetime from Cesar Gracie that if you put Diaz and GSP in a room it would be Diaz who would walk out in the end, I agree on that, GSP is maybe the better at MMA and winning fights in the octagon by using his style better, but I would rather have someone like Diaz who has tremendous heart and fighting spirit backing me up in a street fight.

When GSP almost quit against Shields after his eye got cut it shows what Cesar Gracie means, Diaz was cut to ribbions against Noons in the first fight and still wanted the fight to carry on.

Diaz is a fucking warrior, GSP is a tremendous athelete.

There will be a new opening to the PPV on Saturday, the gladiator intro has gone.

It appears the UFC's famed gladiator is no more.

The UFC will debut a new 60-second opening for its pay-per-view events at this weekend's "UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit" show in Las Vegas. It'll replace the one that's been in use for nearly a decade.

The segment, which was produced by the digital-production company Digital Domain (and sister company Mothership), features highlights from 18 of the UFC's most iconic fights.

For years, the UFC has used an opening spot that features a gladiator suiting up for battle. The clip, though, has become infamously outdated and mocked.

According to a release, Digital Domain created the one-minute spot to encompass all eras of the UFC. Fights clips will combine archival footage with "entirely imagined backgrounds" that are meant to show the evolution of the sport. Additionally, the score was created by famed film producer and music producer Hans Zimmer through his company, 14th St. Music.

"The UFC is heading into a new chapter and taking the brand to the next level," UFC president Dana White stated. "We've had the same show open for the past nine years, and with his monumental FOX deal and the global expansion of the UFC, we wanted to come up with a new show open that paid tribute to the fighters who helped us build the business and grow the sport."

Sounds epic, I am looking forward to this, almost as much as the fights.

• Paid Members

Yeah can't wait to see what they've done for the new intro. Long overdue imo.

Anyone seen the Helwani interview with Nick Diaz? At the end Ariel asked him about a video on Youtube to hype the fight which Diaz left a comment on. Apparently Diaz was a bit pissed off that they edited his voice, and joined 2 bits of seperate audio of him talking to make a sentence to get him to say what they wanted.

I've seen BJ Penn complain about this aswell and in the Diaz interview they mention they did the same to Nate before too.

This was the video he commented on

It's the bit at around 1:09 when he says "I'm gonna walk away on top" he's on about. Obviously nothing hugely controversial in that edit but I can kinda see why someone would get a bit annoyed at their words getting twisted about.

He commented a couple of times on it under his account NickDiaz209

"1:09 I never said that !"

"1:09 I never said that !

WTF"

and the UFC marked his comments as spam :laugh:

Archived