UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

wow, can't believe that tweet picture. Watching the fight i honestly didn't think the fight was that close to the point that it was a 'robbery', going into the 5th i thought Condit had won 4 rounds quite handily. Shocked to see such a reaction...

Someone mention further up that Condit didn't exactly run, he just circled away from the cage and kept moving back to the center of the cage, what the fuck is wrong with that? there was one instance in the 3rd i think where Diaz pinned Condit against the cage and threw around 8 hooks to the body in about 4 seconds. That was what Diaz was trying to do all night long and other than that one time Condit just didn't let him do it. Condit deserves praise for that.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm sick of this Condit ran bollocks aswell to be honest. This mentality that if you don't stand in front of the other guy and throw/eat haymakers then you're a coward is complete shite. He fought smart, hardly took any damage and did what no-one else has been able to do in about 5 years, stand with Nick Diaz and win. Condit has one of the highest finish ratios in MMA history, to try to diminish his win and claim he's less of a fighter because he fought in an intelligent way pisses me right off.

A lot of comments come across as blatant politicking, these people know what Dana wants to hear. The UFC have, through the backdoor done their best to discourage people fighting effictively to win the competition. They sacked fighters with winning records & buried fighters who have been universally dominant purely because they're not 'exciting' enough. I'd love to see the unpublished bonuses, the fighters camps will be well aware what people are getting or more importantly aren't getting & will be economically encouraged to play the game or risk your job.

Ariel Helwani talking to Greg Jackson on MMA Hour about the fight right now. Interesting to hear that Condit broke the UFC record for most leg kicks landed in a fight!

Didnt Forrest hold the old record? Any pictures of Diaz's leg after the fight, some of those kicks looked nasty

• Paid Members

Cesar Gracie having a right old whinge

"He clearly won that fight. I've told him, when he lost before, that he has to let it go. But this fight was clear he won. I was shocked, we were all in disbelief, especially with the scores that they read. Every judge had Nick losing that first round. It takes two to make a dog fight and one fighter running away does not make it a dog fight. In my opinion, I don't think the judges like Nick. He talks in the ring and Nick slapped Carlos at one point in the face and told him to quit running. The judges have never liked Nick in Vegas, they don't like his attitude. He nearly had to kill B.J. Penn (at UFC 137) to earn that decision. I think they think he is disrespectful and they are going to find a way to go against him. I don't know what fight they were looking at. I literally thought they had mixed up the fighters names when they read the score. Everybody was confident that Nick won that fight."

"Coward is a big word to use. I think anyone that fights in the UFC for as long as Carlos has fought, he is not a coward. I like Carlos Condit, you get a good vibe from him, but, I do not think he is a coward in any sense of the word. He just listened to his corner's game plan. Run away and throw some leg kicks. I am disappointed in the way he fought for sure, he promised a dog fight and it did not happen. I am impressed by his skills and I was concerned, but the tactic he used, it loses stock in other people's eyes and I was obviously disappointed. If Nick had been knocked out by Carlos, I would feel better right now than what I do. I don't like that camp (Jackson's MMA) and I'm not going to take that back. I like the fighters there, but when you have coachs that tell people to fight like that, I don't like it. I am proud to not corner my guys like that and I never will, we have a code and I'm proud of the way we fight."

"I haven't talked to him about it (retiring). I would hate to see that. He is not just fighting his opponent, he is fighting the judges that do not like him. The whole judging criteria is so flawed, they don't answer to no one they are not reviewed and they will never be fired. They are making decisions that are ruining the sport and are ridiculous and no one is going to get them out of there. You have incompetent judges that do not even know anything about this sport. The criteria makes no sense and it is insane. I can understand Nick's frustration. We can have a rematch, sure, set up a rematch, but if it is with the same judges how are we going to win? I don't know how they had him losing that first round. After the fight, an actual official from Nevada came up to me and told me, you should have Nick box, because in boxing, they will still rob you, but he is still going to walk away with millions and millions of dollars. "

Jesus Christ, where do you start with this?

I find this criticism of Condit's "running away" incredibly bizarre. Carlos had meticulously studied Diaz's style and highlighted the dangers of being backed up against the wall. Therefore, whenever he came in danger of being pushed up against the cage, he moved back to the centre. What was he supposed to do? Stay against the cage wall, "trading up" with one of the best strikers in MMA? Yet again I return to this depressing portion of the MMA audience who seem to want nothing but mindless brawling. It's insane logic to critcize Condit for utilizing the gameplan that could best serve his career. Condit had a gameplan which he pulled off very well, a gameplan Diaz didn't really have anything to match to. Does anyone rate Condit with a good chance against George St Pierre?

Also in relation to wandshogun's comments: Haha yeah it's annoying but necessary I'm afraid given the money they rake in on advertising. Goldy was even worse on whichever PPV they were plugging the Haywire movie on. Fuck me, almost every fight they mentioned it, Buffer plugged it in his intros and they even had a live interview with Gina Carano and a preview on the PPV aswell.

I'm not sure about this, ecspecially after hearing the viewing figures alone in Brazil at the moment. I'm very confident that the UFC won't drop into bankruptcy if they don't have the "Corne to the Corre Corner Cam".

Two judges failed to give Diaz the fifth round. That's wrong. If taking someone's back and sinking in a body triangle isn't "effective grappling" then I don't know what is. He came close to getting the RNC too. No judge gave Diaz the first round. Now it's debatable, since Condit landed a few more strikes but mostly they were jabby leg kicks, while Diaz significantly outstruck him to the head and body. Those leg kicks clearly weren't that effective, since Diaz then came out and dominated the second. If Condit had been given the first, the third and the fourth, I could live with it. I'd be disappointed and I'd disagree, but in the end it would be just a case of what the judges see and personally lean towards in a close fight. In my book, not giving the second or the fifth to Diaz is just incompetent. Also, for people who think Diaz is a whiny bitch - bear in mind that he's on an 11 fight winning streak. It's not like he's got a reason to be a sore loser there. He complains about the judging criteria because he believes that his brother has been screwed in the past, he's been screwed in the past and the way judging works is detrimental to the sport. Is he really wrong? Is there anyone here who thinks Cecil Peoples and Patricia Morse Jarman are mostly reliable and trustworthy judges of what really happened in a fight?

• Paid Members
I agree to a degree, but I just felt it was Diaz chasing Condit all over the cage and Condit tagging him due to him giving Diaz the run around. It wasn't running away as I stated, as it was his game plan. I simply didn't enjoy it.

Just because Diaz was chasing doesn't mean shit, Condit hit him with more strikes. If Condit hit with one of the spinning elbows he was throwing the fight would have gone differently in my opinion. Diaz is a guy who you don't want to stand in front of and let him hit you. So Condit was getting out of the way of that, I don't see how anyone could score it that Diaz won that fight.

How can you even say that? I'm not naive enough to state that I can't see how anyone could score that fight to Condit. I can easily see how he could be perceived as the winner in people's eyes, but as Mikey stated, he landed more telling shots in round 1 and round 5 definitely. It was round 2 where it could have gone either way, but I still believe Diaz struck the most shots that looked like were causing damage, regardless of how many leg kicks landed.

As a viewer, I simply was not entertained by Condit's game plan.

You can't just discredit or choose to ignore the dozens of unchecked leg kicks? They hurt like hell & score points. Whether you were entertained or not doesn't make a blind bit of difference, if you just wanna see two dude standing swinging watch 'Toughman'.

FFS Mike. The kicks were the reason I gave Condit rounds 3 and 4. I already said in my original post the kicks were what won him those rounds. In my opinion the shots Nick landed in those opening two rounds caused more damage to his opponent than those kicks did. Nick controlled his opponent a little better as well.

Look, I've already said I don't believe the fight to be this robbery many are claiming, and can see how the fight could be judged in Condit's favour.

Also, your comment regarding watching 'Toughman'..get off your friggin high horse will you? There is nothing wrong with me stating I didn't enjoy watching Condit's game plan. I recognise there is nothing wrong with it, but there are exciting game plans and there are boring ones.

• Paid Members
Two judges failed to give Diaz the fifth round. That's wrong. If taking someone's back and sinking in a body triangle isn't "effective grappling" then I don't know what is. He came close to getting the RNC too. No judge gave Diaz the first round. Now it's debatable, since Condit landed a few more strikes but mostly they were jabby leg kicks, while Diaz significantly outstruck him to the head and body. Those leg kicks clearly weren't that effective, since Diaz then came out and dominated the second. If Condit had been given the first, the third and the fourth, I could live with it. I'd be disappointed and I'd disagree, but in the end it would be just a case of what the judges see and personally lean towards in a close fight. In my book, not giving the second or the fifth to Diaz is just incompetent. Also, for people who think Diaz is a whiny bitch - bear in mind that he's on an 11 fight winning streak. It's not like he's got a reason to be a sore loser there. He complains about the judging criteria because he believes that his brother has been screwed in the past, he's been screwed in the past and the way judging works is detrimental to the sport. Is he really wrong? Is there anyone here who thinks Cecil Peoples and Patricia Morse Jarman are mostly reliable and trustworthy judges of what really happened in a fight?

The Diaz' complain about the judging criteria because it doesn't match their preferred style. I firmly believe that if Diaz had actually tried checking some leg kicks as opposed to just constantly eating them it might be a different outcome. Discounting them by calling them 'jabby leg kicks' is just a stupid as claiming because Diaz didn't KO Condit with any of his head punches they didn't count either. Worth remembering that Condit didn

Archived