UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What's funny is that people are talking as if Condit completely dominated the fight. It was a close fight and there's a clear argument about what counts in judges' eyes when the second and fifth didn't go to Diaz. In my opinion, the first went to Diaz as well, but I agree that it's debatable. I absolutely don't question Condit getting the third and fourth - indeed, I was screaming at the TV for Diaz to shut the fuck and throw some punches. That's why it's even more bizarre that both Morse Jarman and Peoples gave round three to Diaz. Losing a decision in a close fight is not the end of the world. Frustrating and disappointing, but that's how it goes. But knowing that you won two rounds and two out of three judges didn't see it...well, that sucks a big one. Seriously, when they announced 49-46, did no-one else have the thought "but how did they score round three for Diaz?"

Yes, the Diaz brothers are amongst my favourite fighters. Yes, I find their style incredibly entertaining and I get frustrated when it doesn't get recognised. That doesn't mean my questions about the judging of this fight are not valid. In my opinion, in a close round (which the first was) head and body shots plus aggression counts for more than landing a few more leg kicks. I think in a round where the striking is more or less even, the guy who gets a great grappling position and a good submission attempt (even if he does lose position when he tries to transition to a different submission attempt) is the winner. On the former, I can see an argument otherwise. If that were the disputed round in a 48-47 decision, it would be fine. On the latter, I really seriously struggle to work out how your mind works if you gave that round to Condit. What is your definition of "effective grappling"? I mean, if you have to actually submit the guy in order to win a round like that, how do you justify all the rounds we see where the striking is more or less even and a guy "steals the round" with a late takedown? Condit was never as near to finishing Diaz in the last round as Diaz came to finishing him. He never had a minute of such complete dominance. There were only seven strikes in it. That's not enough to overturn the grappling advantage Diaz displayed.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2ufrb0l.gif

what was everyone's thoughts on Werdum doing that dirty shit?

Diry shit? Pointing to the ground in a MMA fight? If fat bastard is stupid enough to look.. go for it!

ahhh, its not very sportmanlike though is it, i mean throwing faints or whatever to cause misdirection, but blatantly pointing at the floor? that don't sit too well with me.

i aint spoken much about the show, but i'll talk Roy Nelson briefly. He looked f'n horrible, Roy Nelson was a guy that people genuinely rated top 10 at one point but recently he seems to have gone from a 'fat guy who's deceptively skilled' to a 'fat guy that can take insane amounts of punishment', it's not good and it safe to say that Roy's been destroyed in every fight with a top level guy he's ever been in.

I read things saying he's been put into that dreaded 'gatekeeper' field now and i have to agree. Not quite sure where Roy goes from here, the weight loss didn't actually do him much good, he looked worse if anything against Werdum, all he did was trudge forward with hopes of landing the right hand. Being 35 im thinking Roy might just stay as he is and earn some cheques. His days as a possible title fight are most certainly over.

As for Werdum, at times he looked like a world beater, i think that Muay Thai display surprised everyone. You can't really fault his cautiousness as times because as i said about all Roy was hoping to was land that right hand so Werdum had to be weary of it. It was a very solid return to the UFC though. I wanna see Werdum/Mir.

oh, and on a sidenote, anyone else realised that Strikeforce heavyweights are 3-0 over the UFC guys since the merger.

All the tweets from fighters obviously ignored these ones

Ben Henderson: "Wow seems to be quite the controversy, I don't get it...I had Condit clearly winning 4 rds...1 guy walked forward the other landed strikes.."

Jon Anik: "Carlos Condit's championship execution would be lauded in any other pro sport. Diaz is outstanding. That's how you beat him."

Stephan Bonnar: "All I gotta say is #followingthegameplantoaT . Congrats to the natty born killer!"

Gareth A. Davies: "ufc 143 @ufc no issue with the winner myself carlos condit had great game plan and executed it. refused to stand in front of diaz"

Jon Fitch: "@jonfitchdotnet: I think condit won"

Miesha Tate: "@mieshatate: I thought Condit won the fight I know Diaz is pissed but Condit had a solid game plan that worked, I thought he won for sure"

Josh Gross: "48-47 Condit on my card. Wish we got more grappling."

Brian Stann: "@carloscondit won that fight in my opinion, so happy for him, put a belt around his waist!! He is a great person & father"

Aaron Simpson: "I scored the same...but real close. RT @KevinI: How did you score the rounds last night @aaronsimpson? I gave Diaz 1-2 and Condit 3-4-5"

Bas Rutten: "Ha! He did it! Wow, this is freaking great! Props to Jacksons camp, very good strategy"

Michael Schiavello: "My FINAL scorecard CONDIT vs DIAZ. Condit wins 49 - 46. Fantastic fight by Condit, kicks were awesome, clever plan!"

Frank Shamrock: "UFC 143 results: Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit fight metric report shows judges made right decision"

from most of the bigger MMA sites

50-45 Condit

UFC 143 Play-by-Play: Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit | MMAWeekly.com

49-46 Condit

UFC 143 play by play and live results | MMAjunkie.com

49-46 Condit

UFC 143 Results and Live Play-by-Play for "Diaz vs. Condit" - MMAFrenzy.com

49-46 Condit

UFC 143 results and LIVE fight coverage for 'Diaz vs Condit' on Feb. 4 in Las Vegas - MMAmania.com

48-47 Condit

UFC 143 Live Play-By-Play - MMA Fighting

49-46 Condit

UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Bloody Elbow

The negative about Diaz retiring is that MMA have lost one of it's most entertaining fighters, in and outside the ring. The positives of his departure is that we'll no longer have to suffer Kenny McBride's incessant narrow minded, biased Nick Diaz based drivel.

According to various sites it would appear Zuffa are pushing for a Diaz/Condit rematch. I guess the UFC will just change up their plans until they get the fight they want, pretty much like professional wrestling really.

Surely if Condit has to fight again before GSP is back in action he should face the winner of Sanchez vs Ellenberger?

If this fight goes ahead surely the UFC can be considered as something of a joke. I saw a great comparison mentioned elsewhere, where someone asked could you imagine if the NHL (during the 1999-2000 Stanley Cup play-offs) told the New Jersey Devil that they we're being replaced by a more exciting but less-deserving team in the finals because the Devils played a boring defensive trap to get to the finals?

• Paid Members
If this fight goes ahead surely the UFC can be considered as something of a joke. I saw a great comparison mentioned elsewhere, where someone asked could you imagine if the NHL (during the 1999-2000 Stanley Cup play-offs) told the New Jersey Devil that they we're being replaced by a more exciting but less-deserving team in the finals because the Devils played a boring defensive trap to get to the finals?

that comparison is ridiculous.

• Paid Members
I guess the UFC will just change up their plans until they get the fight they want, pretty much like professional wrestling really.

The thing is, fight promotion does kind of work like pro wrestling. Always has, always will. It's about putting the fights together that make sense and that the fans wanna see (which should ideally = money). The fan reaction to this bout has been insane and it's warranted another go around, why would a promoter kill that buzz by setting up a Condit/Ellenberger fight which has no steam behind it?

This thing fucking sells, it has to happen.

• Paid Members
I guess the UFC will just change up their plans until they get the fight they want, pretty much like professional wrestling really.

The thing is, fight promotion does kind of work like pro wrestling. Always has, always will. It's about putting the fights together that make sense and that the fans wanna see (which should ideally = money). The fan reaction to this bout has been insane and it's warranted another go around, why would a promoter kill that buzz by setting up a Condit/Ellenberger fight which has no steam behind it?

This thing fucking sells, it has to happen.

It's just very frustrating for people who want to see the best fighters face each other & the people holding belts/getting title shot to be the best in the division. As opposed to it being the people who give the best interview/have the best look/cause the most controversy. Maybe I need to change the way I look at UFC as a legit sport & accept that although the bouts are real it's no more 'legit' than WWE.

Bit depressing really

Archived