UFC 143: 'Diaz vs Condit' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
I think Diaz v Condit is a more exciting fight than either one of them v GSP.

Deffo. 170 has really been shaken up the last couple of months and I love it. It's a division that's been GSP #1 and Fitch #2 for so long it got a bit stale for me. Now with GSP on the shelf and Fitch getting starched in seconds it's given the rest of the division a chance to shine. Nowt against GSP and Fitch but it's nice to see some new blood move into the mix.

When GSP got injured every site I looked on people were gutted and I get why, GSP vs Diaz is a massive fight and we all wanna see it after all that's been said on both sides. But I wasn't gutted at all, all I could think of was how awesome Diaz vs Condit will be. Diaz/GSP is a bigger fight but to me Diaz/Condit is a better actual fight which really, isn't that the reason we all watch to see great fights? Hype's all well and good and it's great for Zuffa cos they make money off it but for the fans surely it's great fights that matter more.

It's nice to know when a UFC show does well on PPV but I don't get much pleasure out of looking at $ signs. I enjoy watching a great MMA fight, a 3 or 5 round war, a KO, a submission. A fight doing well on PPV is a distant second for me cos I don't get a penny of it :/

For me it is all about Nick Diaz and Sonnen vs Bisping in what I am looking forward to the most, but then again the UFC spoils is these days, its like comparing having Kim Kardasian one week to having Rochelle Leah the next.

Yeah the run they're on is unbelievable. Looking back at the shows the last one I thought was a bit flat was the Shields vs Ellenberger Fight Night back in Sep but even that wasn't terrible. But for months before that and ever since then they've been on fire with excellent shows one after another. Yeah we are spoiled.

I'm glad to see it's continuing into 2012 aswell. UFC 142 and FX 1 were both great fun. Fuck me, on the very first main card fight of 2012 we got this...

barbosa-etim0e1q2.gif

...the first bastard main card fight of the year and that happened.

And looking at the upcoming shows I can't see the run ending anytime soon. We've got Diaz/Condit, Barao/Jorgensen, Edgar/Bendo, Sanchez/Ellenberger, Alves/Kampmann and the introduction of the Flyweights in the next couple of months.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone who hasn't seen 'em yet here's the first 2 episodes of Primetime..

Ep 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbq_2cgxJw

Ep 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bDcU6-iIA

We're not getting them on TV for some reason.

After all the talk of being sick of seeing GSP in training during these Primetime shows, what do we get in Episode 2? GSP in training. I do like GSP, but as mentioned earlier by others, his fights are not that great, but when he faces off with Diaz, that could all change

• Paid Members

Haha yeah I thought the same thing. GSP will find a way into every Primetime series no matter who's featured. Can't remember for sure but he may have been in the Rashad/Rampage one aswell being Rashad's teammate. Maybe it's in his contract?

I agree with your last sentence aswell. Although GSP's fights haven't been the most exciting for a while now, I can't remember the last time I saw a crap Nick Diaz fight. And if GSP is as wound up and pissed off with Diaz as Dana White would have us believe then we might see a better fight out of him in that one and he might really go for it.

Last time I recall GSP angry for a fight was the second BJ Penn fight and he beat Penn into quitting on his stool. Another factor could be how he bounces back from this knee injury, that could effect how he fights. This is the most serious injury he's had in his career so far so it's something he hasn't dealt with before.

• Paid Members

the 2nd episode of Primetime was just weird. Carlos Condit got around 3mins on screen and the final 3rd of the broadcast hyped up a potential Diaz/GSP fight. Strange way of approaching this weekend's fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I kind of expected them to play up the GSP thing at some point and I've really enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I think they have kinda dropped the ball on Condit.

I know he's not the most exciting guy personality wise but they could get round that by emphasizing what a badass he is. When he does get on screen he's playing with his kid or all cosy with his wife watching telly.

With Diaz being the more interesting character they were obviously gonna spend more time on him but I thought they'd try to play up Condit's chances more with him probably being seen as the underdog to most casuals.

Showing Diaz as a training freak and a killer and then switching to Condit playing Daddy and pissing about with guns is selling Condit a bit short imo. It's like they want you to think Condit is unmotivated and has no chance. You can bet he's training his arse off for this, it's the biggest fight of his career. Maybe episode 3 will show that.

• Paid Members

:laugh: I did shit myself for a sec when I saw the 'Uh oh'. I thought someone was injured or Diaz no-showed something again. Press conference is tomorrow isn't it? Let's hope he shows up.

Diaz vs Condit - UFC Undisputed 3 style

!

I think now Diaz is on the big stage, with a lot of potential to make fat cash he's going to play the game. After his initial dicking about he knows that Dana won't abide it.

he already said that he will wait for GSP if he wins the inter belt. So he he knows there is one fight that could make him alot of money and I think this time he'll go for it.

so what's everyone's thoughts on the rest of the card? it's being buried under the main event hype...

I like the undercard.

I am split on the Werdum/Nelson fight, I think it won't go to the ground and end up in a stand up battle. I am not sure just how good a striker Werdum is, he did survive against Overeem for 3 rounds and outstrike Big Foot which is not to be sniffed at, but Nelson is pretty good himself.

I think Koscheck will win, but will not have it easy against Pierce, Bareo vs Jorgenson will be interesting to see if Bareo is the next big thing at 135lbs after looking a beast against Pickett.

so what's everyone's thoughts on the rest of the card? it's being buried under the main event hype...

I like the undercard.

I am split on the Werdum/Nelson fight, I think it won't go to the ground and end up in a stand up battle. I am not sure just how good a striker Werdum is, he did survive against Overeem for 3 rounds and outstrike Big Foot which is not to be sniffed at, but Nelson is pretty good himself.

I think Koscheck will win, but will not have it easy against Pierce, Bareo vs Jorgenson will be interesting to see if Bareo is the next big thing at 135lbs after looking a beast against Pickett.

Pierce is a solid opponent, but I can't help thinking this is a weird bit of matchmaking by Joe Silva, rankings wise. Koscheck rebounds off a loss to GSP by KOing the Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, and gets given Mike Pierce, who has mostly fought debutants on the prelims?

I got Nelson by KO, Big Country has serious power and went toe to toe with JDS, whereas Werdum lasted about 2 mins with the HW champ. His jujitsu is also good enough to avoid getting subbed, Mir couldn't do all that much to him even when gassed.

Barao vs Jorgensen should be fireworks, glad more bantam/featherweights are getting the main card treatment lately.

Nothing on the prelims really jumps out at me, Matt Riddle and Dustin Poirier always have entertaining scraps, but I'm not familiar with their opponents. The best thing I see prelim-wise is Bruce Leeroy, he seriously upped his game in his last fight.

Pierce is actually quite underhyped.

He creamed Jon Fitch in the third round of their fight a few years ago, lost a razor thin fight to Johnny Hendricks. If he had more personality or had gotten a big win in one of thise two fight he had, I doubt people would say it is weird matchmaking.

I would say he is borderline top 10 material, which is quite a acheivment for the 170lbs division.

Archived