WWE Royal Rumble 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

i bloody enjoyed the ppv last night, the rumble was full of highlights and comedy moments. good to see kharma back, maybe get her into a feud with beth phoenix in time for mania? marked out big time for road dogg doing his classic spots and kofi's handstand

as for the undercard well the cage match was ok, the finish was good if a little risky. brodus was brodus, the divas match was pointless, kane/cena started slow but come good in the end but for me the wwe title match was match of the night, wouldn't be that against ziggler winning the belt somewhere down the line

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot about Ricardo actually, pissed myself at that bit. There was lots of bits I liked like that, but as I'd put in another post, they filled it with those ahead of having anything else of substance going on in the match.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched the WWE for a while, although I usually do the Rumble. Thoughts on this years.. I agree Ricardo was excellent, as was the Cena & Rock video packages. The cage match was nothing but meh. I was surprised at the Sheamus win, I would be interested to see him vs. Bryan. For a moment I thought that Khama was going to be part of Jericho's end of the world statement, come back out and destroy Sheamus and have Jericho goto WM against Punk. Overall though I enjoyed the Rumble match, although I have had enough of Santino now, please go away.

The punk title match I lost interest in, the Ryder moment with Kane was overkill for the angle IMO, it doesn't need it really, unless we are looking at Kane vs. Ryder at Mania? The whole Cena/Kane angle has totally lost its way now. The Funkosaurus was tiresome as well. It will be interesting to see where they go at Elimination Chamber as well to see how it all pans out, but currently Jericho's big return has fallen completely flat. They are going to need to pull something huge out of the bag to make him relevant now.

• Paid Members

I agree that is was a show of two halfs. The pre-Rumble portion of the show was largely enjoyable but the Rumble was one of the most lacklustre in years.

The cage match was a tidy opener. All men were, again, great working their gimmicks. Even better that D Bryan won the thing too, he's such a knob. The other title match was decent enough too.

Kane v Cena was fine, the ending was spot on. I was wondering how they would keep Kane strong, without jobbing out Cena and they did a great job. Kane looked like a monster again. Eve was the hottest she ever looked too, I don't know what that says about me though.

The Rumble highlighted how little I care for 90% of WWE's roster. Most of the match was like one of those shite Smackdown battle royals you get to become number one contender for the IC title. "Primo?! Fuck sake! Bet Undertaker is next then...... 2...1... Justin Gabriel?! Fuck sake! Bet Rob Van Dam is next then...... 2...1... Jinder Fucking Mahal??!!!!!........ 2...1... KHALI!!!! He'll do.".

The crowd kind of gave up after Orton got eliminated. I like Sheamus and everything but his Rumble win comes completely out of nowhere and they are the worst. Like somebody said, I have zero desire to see Sheamus against any of the Smackdown main event at the minute. Also, it has taken less then a month for Jericho to become just another guy, his jacket is nice though.

The highlight of the show was that awesome video package on John Cena, that and Brodus Clay showing Drew McIntyre how to get over.

• Paid Members
I was convinced we'd see some sort of payoff from the Jericho angle at the Rumble. I thought we would see more of him after he was eliminated. I guess it wasn't "the end of the world as we know it." Dissappointing.

It was the beginning of the end of the world as we know it. A ginger is main eventing Wrestlemania.

I felt pretty flat at the end of the show. I dont know if its heightened because Im going to Wrestlemania 28 and this was the beginning of the road to it, or whether it really was just a bad show. Thecage match was good, although I spent alot of time monitoring Henry's knee injury. He started off fine but looked like he was limping pretty badly towards the end of it. Daniel Bryan is such a dick, I love it! His 'Yes! Yes! Yes!' celebration reminded me of what Kurt Angle used to do during his first title reign.

Really liked Punk/Ziggler. I totally forgot Ziggler was in a title match this time last year too, he's definately getting closer to being totally made. Maybe after Wrestlemania is over the rest of the year belongs to him. John Laryngitis sucking up for his review with HHH tomorrow was hilarious.

Its amazing how I went from hating the divas during their tag match to looking forward to seeing them every week just because Kharma is now back. When she was around last year I hardly forwarded diva segments, purely cause I knew Kharma was about to tear shit up.

Brodus was good.. I cant believe nobody's mentioned the way the dancers enter the ring.... :love:

The Rumble was just really disappointing. I echo the stuff said by Blackson, on most of the countdowns I was left disappointed when the entrant. The first 15 were the shittest I ever remember entering the Rumble, and that made me even more optimistic about the last 15. Apart from Kharma, there were no other surprises (something WWE have built up more than any other year I remember). Ricardo's car though. Amazing.

Sheamus deserved the win I guess. He's had a pretty good year, but still cant see him going 1 on 1 with the champion at WM. The likes of Orton/Barrett/Big Show/Henry might be involved somehow. Maybe a 4 way elimination match?

Overall it was once of the poor PPV's as of late. A mention must go to John Cena's video. At first I didnt think much of the WM28 theme song, but after the way it was used with this video, Im diggin it.

Did anybody else feel as though they were clipping Ziggler's wings a bit? An afterthought in the Main Event, and a wholly unremarkable display in the Rumble that you would've thought they could have used to redeem his loss. I'm sure he was only selected to take the Implant Buster because they knew he would make it look great, but I don't think that was particularly brill for his Main Event trajectory either. I can't think of other guys in the past who were (in theory) on the precipice of stardom that would have been willing to sell for a Diva, regardless of how big/dangerous she was supposed to be. Even for Chyna, and she was a way bigger deal than Karma.

Did anybody else feel as though they were clipping Ziggler's wings a bit? An afterthought in the Main Event, and a wholly unremarkable display in the Rumble that you would've thought they could have used to redeem his loss. I'm sure he was only selected to take the Implant Buster because they knew he would make it look great, but I don't think that was particularly brill for his Main Event trajectory either. I can't think of other guys in the past who were (in theory) on the precipice of stardom that would have been willing to sell for a Diva, regardless of how big/dangerous she was supposed to be. Even for Chyna, and she was a way bigger deal than Karma.

yeah i mentioned that last night. It not exactly the best way to treat a guy who could potentially be a main event star. But it made Kharma look awesome. I too thought Dolph would redeem himself in the Rumble, but apparently not...

Everyone loves ziggler though, it shouldn't hurt his credibility too much, i'm sure he won't get lost in the shuffle.

Jericho needs to go batshit crazy tonight on RAW, take out Sheamus with a chair for costing him his moment, would make him look strong & keep the angle interesting.

• Paid Members

Sheamus winning means what for Wrestlemania?

A Heel must but holding the title? Which kind of eliminates Orton for the main event. Bryan/Henry V Sheamus. I can't see Vince giving Henry the title after the last 2 injury's.

Punk loses at E.C but to who? Jericho/Miz/Del Rio V Sheamus.

Either way i think Sheamus will follow Del Rio and be a curtain jerker at W.M.

Unless the go with Punk/Sheamus or Orton/Sheamus which would be a better option in my opinion.

It was a decent enough show, though a bit underwhelming. I enjoyed the Rumble and Punk/Ziggler, though the Rumble definitely lacked the starpower we're used to seeing.

As I said before though, it was a little underwhelming. I asked myself if that was really worth 15 quid and I honestly couldn't say it was. Bar Wrestlemania, I think it'll take a great card for me to spend money on a PPV again. They don't put on terrible shows or anything but they don't have that excitement factor for me anymore.

I thought the Rumble match was alright. Stuff like Ricardo's appearance and the sock war are right up my alley. I wish Rikishi and Brodus had been in. It was a shame that The Miz was in for so long but did fuck all, he should've been showcased more during his long run.

The undercard was a waste of time. They're really struggling for stuff to put on. Ten-minute stretches of video packages more than once on a pay-per-view is no way to live, especially when half of them have nothing to do with the show. Ryder's terrible, the whole thing with Kane and Cena is. Brodus vs Drew could've been kept for SmackDown. Divas match pointless. The two title matches fell well short of anyone's expectations, I imagine. But I liked the Rumble, even though it did feel very flat by the end. Good closing sequence, but it didn't feel like it had much gravitas.

Archived