WWE Royal Rumble 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
If Punk and Jericho does happen then fair enough that would work without the belt. I hope the US and IC feature at Wrestlemania this year instead of the pointless singles matches we were treated to last year.

I don't even think the IC belt was defended last year. What would you suggest they do for the titles?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cody defending the IC belt vs Goldust would be a good'un. Maybe some kind of multi-man match for the US title as the opener. It'd be something to do with Kingston if Bourne's still suspended (will he be?).

Freebird, I don't know why you don't just stream them over the following day or so.

Thanks for the hint my friend. So these things stay up for watching at your leisure? I thought streams were only live when the event is actually on, a one off broadcast if you will.

I will e-mail you a request for one tomorrow night if the footage is still available for consumption then. The Rumble is pretty much the only match I really want to avoid spoilers for, but I don

• Paid Members
If Punk and Jericho does happen then fair enough that would work without the belt. I hope the US and IC feature at Wrestlemania this year instead of the pointless singles matches we were treated to last year.

I don't even think the IC belt was defended last year. What would you suggest they do for the titles?

It wasn't and the US was defended in a dark match. Obviously want to see guys like Barrett, Sheamus, Cody Rhodes at WM so have them involved in a 3-way feud for the IC. Put the US belt on the Funkasauras and have him feuding with a heel Mason Ryan (or anyone that's not Swagger tbh).

How do you suggest that you could make the World titles more prestigious? How would you promote them and which wrestlers would you put the belts on? If you are going to name champions of the past then you are looking at a problem that goes beyond simply the World title picture; you're then talking about the current crop of headliners and how they in general compare to the main event scene 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 25 years ago. Back then a 45-minute Ric Flair versus Terry Funk match over the gold after a six-month feud would have been terrific and, oh, how good it is to re-watch it on the old grainy video tapes all these years down the line. Light me up a cigar, and we'll go and sit in the front row.

Hulk Hogan summed it up perfectly whilst he was on Loose Women, of all places. A wrestling show that isn't so fast paced just wouldn't work in this day-and-age where there are so many other channels and forms of entertainment online to steal people's attention. Like the Hulkster said, back in the day a feud would go a year and now you have an argument at the beginning of the night and by the end of it you're in the ring together.

We can moan until the sun goes down about a Cena match not being able to hold a candle to a 1994 Bret Hart match you watched again on YouTube the other day but the entertainment business is so, so different these days. If you have a legitimate way or idea of how you could improve the World and WWE titles then I would love to hear it; I simply believe that the titles are doing their allotted jobs just fine.

The Rock and Steve Austin are no longer in their primes and Triple H and The Undertaker had their days a decade or more ago. Wrestling has moved on so much. If the star that wears the belt is the person who elevates said trophy, then it is surely a problem that goes just beyond the title picture?

I think building up matches that matter around titles is still a legitimate way to book WWE and would do business no harm at all. WWE in my view are suffering because they've forgotten how to make things seem important in the title picture and therefore winning/having a belt no longer helps to progress wrestlers up the ladder. I'm not harking back to Flair Funk or anything like that - I'm talking about producing an engaging fast paced television show with internal logic and consequences. It wasn't beyond WWE ten years ago and it shouldn't be now. Just look at the Smackdown booking in the run up to WM19.

Very doubtful i'd say. The IC & US champs will just be chucked in the MITB match as per usual. Anyway, who ever said Rock/Cena should be for the belt is spot on. It will be pretty rediculous if the WWE & World title matches are 3rd & 4th down in the pecking order.

The World Heavyweight Title was on first last year so saying it'll be on third or fourth last is a tad optimistic.

Well i actually meant 3rd or 4th most important. I'd suggest that even though the World title match opened last years show, it was probably the 3rd most important match after HHH/Taker & the whole Rock/Cena/Miz fiasco. For the record, i have no beef with a title match opening Mania. Makes the show feel like a big deal from the off.

I'll send you a link to a high quality online 'repeat'.

Can you send me the link too pretty please? *flutters eyelashes*

As sadly I can't watch tonight

PM'd, and yes, I feel like a dirty drug dealer.

For the record, the majority of Raw, Smackdown and TNA episode uploads on YouTube are trying to shill their streaming/upload sites. Five minutes worth of looking on there and you should have a handful of addresses.

• Paid Members

Is it against board rules to post a probably not-too-legal website that hosts an absolute tonne of wrestling stuff. All the televised shows and PPVs and a lot of the DVDs too. Great website, served me for about a year now.

Archived