WWE Royal Rumble 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

If they put the Intercontinental title on Hogan back in the day it would have been shat on.

Good point. If Hulk Hogan was the Intercontinental champion and Mr Perfect was the WWF champion (which is the same situation as this fella's proposing), the Intercontinental would've been the main belt in the company.

As it happens, Jericho is the kind of wrestler who has exactly the right status to make the Intercontinental and US titles more important, if that was really what someone's goal was.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
No. That setup would make the world title the midcard belt, and actually extract fuckloads of credibility from it.

Nah. I disagree.

And that's your prerogative, but you are Very Fucking Wrong. Any title held by Midcard Jericho is going to be infinitely less prestigious than a title on the same show held by megastars like John Cena and Triple H. Your plan achieves nothing other than diminishing the world title. Oh, and possibly the careers of two of the biggest stars in wrestling history, if anyone took their midcard title reigns seriously, though nobody would.

I agree with you in saying that John Cena and HHH shouldn't be holding the IC and US belts but if you're suggesting that Jericho is a midcard wrestler and isn't able to compete for the two big belts then you're very fucking deluded. Behind the two mentioned he's easily WWE's biggest name and having him feud with a few of the newer guys will do them a world of good.

Chris Jericho is one of the most overrated wrestlers of the past decade. He's a solid enough performer, but he's certainly not the level of superstar that some make him out to be. Pitcos is right, he'd be a superb bearer of the US or Intercontinental titles if you really did want to bump the titles.

Big Show, Mark Henry, Randy Orton and CM Punk are bigger stars than Jericho at the moment, and there are a handful of others who could be pushed to become bigger than him as well.

He comes back from spending months away trying new gimmicks which ultimately flop - then switches between playing face and heel and then fades away when nothing sticks. Very, very overrated indeed.

Watching a bunch of old Rumbles, it seems that the rules change to suit the WWE every year.

One year, after being eliminated, Vader came back in and threw everyone else out, yet it didn't count. However, these days if someone comes back in or someone not even in the Rumble eliminates someone, it counts. Heck, I remember that being the rule in 90, when Piper pulled out Bad News Brown after being eliminated himself (or vice versa, been years since I saw that one)

Also, Finlay was disqualified the other year, what's up with that?!

The craziest has to be the 03 one, where a ref goes mental at jericho for using a chair, yet Tommy Dreamer was allowed to walk into the ring with a bin full of weapons!

I agree with you in saying that John Cena and HHH shouldn't be holding the IC and US belts but if you're suggesting that Jericho is a midcard wrestler and isn't able to compete for the two big belts

Jericho is a midcard wrestler. He is more than able to compete for the big belts, but he's never been a success holding them. And him as world champion while the real big names hold the minor titles just damages the world championship.

If you were to ask a human whether Jericho suits the WWE or Intercontinental title more, which answer do you think you'd get?

Same question but with the subject changed to John Cena.

Chris Jericho is one of the most overrated wrestlers of the past decade. He's a solid enough performer, but he's certainly not the level of superstar that some make him out to be. Pitcos is right, he'd be a superb bearer of the US or Intercontinental titles if you really did want to bump the titles.

Big Show, Mark Henry, Randy Orton and CM Punk are bigger stars than Jericho at the moment, and there are a handful of others who could be pushed to become bigger than him as well.

He comes back from spending months away trying new gimmicks which ultimately flop - then switches between playing face and heel and then fades away when nothing sticks. Very, very overrated indeed.

Don't agree with that last bit at all, which gimmick of his has flopped exactly? I agree he's not quite the absolute top level but that last bit is bollocks

• Paid Members

Fair enough his last comeback was a bit mehhh but one of the most overrated wrestlers of the past decade? Not a chance. If anything he was underrated, his stuff in the early 00s was superb. He was very entertaining in the ring and untouchable on the mic. With the likes of Austin, The Rock, HBK, Taker and HHH around when he was at his prime, he was never going to be the star of the company but he did very well to hold his own. Take Y2J from 2000-2003 and put him in today's roster and he'd outshine the lot. Yes, he's past his best but what do you expect? Guy still has loads to offer, the buzz around his return this year shows that.

For starters, his "Save_Us" and "Best in the World" gimmicks turned out to be nothing but good mid-card acts, save for a few moments such as his interactions with Shawn "Can make an apple look a million dollars" Michaels. Every time he returns he's given a main-event level boost and yet he just fizzles out after the first few weeks. Give it a couple of months and all of this stuff he's doing at the moment will be as flat as a fart. Let him dip his toe in the main event scene, by all means, but he's never going to be at home at the top of the card for any prolonged amount of time.

• Paid Members
I agree with you in saying that John Cena and HHH shouldn't be holding the IC and US belts but if you're suggesting that Jericho is a midcard wrestler and isn't able to compete for the two big belts

Jericho is a midcard wrestler. He is more than able to compete for the big belts, but he's never been a success holding them. And him as world champion while the real big names hold the minor titles just damages the world championship.

If you were to ask a human whether Jericho suits the WWE or Intercontinental title more, which answer do you think you'd get?

Same question but with the subject changed to John Cena.

That's because Jericho is one of the most recognisable Intercontinental Champions there's been, he's held it a record number of times so he's obviously associated with it. I still associate Mick Foley as Hardcore Champion and Eddie Guerrero as European Champion but it doesn't mean they weren't credible WWE champions.

*STREAMS* Right, lads, you were good enough to me last year in helping me with a good stream so I thought I would return the favour this year. If anybody needs a stream for tonight's Rumble then email (as opposed to PMing) me and I'll email you back with a link. Please do not quote me on saying that it will be 100% reliable (disclaimer :rolleyes: ) but it has always worked for me in the past.

Instead of clogging up every other thread with "has anyone got a link?" then please direct them to this if you see anybody ask.

I'll reply to everyone who has got in touch with me at 11:30pm tonight and don't give anybody it AFTER 11:30 as I won't check my emails again until tomorrow.

Send it to ukffstreams@hotmail.co.uk and I will reply at 11:30 to all the emails.

Once again, I will say to look for your own in the meantime IN CASE THIS DOESN'T WORK well but like I say, it has never let me down before.

Archived