WWE Royal Rumble 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

I was thinking that WWE could maybe have Punk or Bryan (or whoever happens to be the champion at that point) win the Royal Rumble to set up a unification Heavyweight championship match at Wrestlemania. Not likely I know.

Why is there so much talk recently of having the titles unified? For the first time in years it seems a good idea to have two top belts (to me at least) mainly because, as Butch said in his Argumental challenge, it's a good test for someone like Mark Henry to see if they can carry being the top man

Is there actually any basis for this talk or is just the usual Mania lineup guessing game?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just said it's an idea. I would rather there was one champion personally. End the brand split and have one World champion.

Yeah fair enough, It's just I've seen it in mentioned in various threads and just wondered if there is a definite plan for them to unify them at some point

Regarding the brand split, I'd keep it but just do what they do now and have the main eventers just appear all over the place

I just said it's an idea. I would rather there was one champion personally. End the brand split and have one World champion.

I think that's not a bad idea. Promoting the title as the ultimate prize is something I'd enjoy. Question is whether they could recreate the Intercontinental and US Title as major belts? Putting one of them on Cena and the other on a returning HHH with Jericho as World Champion would inject a lot of credibility into the titles. Mind you I was a mark for the WCW top ten ratings back in the day so I probably put a lot of stall in the belts!

No. That setup would make the world title the midcard belt, and actually extract fuckloads of credibility from it.

Nah. I disagree. Jericho is a big enough star to ensure the belt had credibility. The whole point would be for Cena and HHH to put over those titles and then put over someone for a title that then met something. They absolutely need to use the stars they have left to get the belts over so the promotion has something to build on when they leave again.

No. That setup would make the world title the midcard belt, and actually extract fuckloads of credibility from it.

Nah. I disagree. Jericho is a big enough star to ensure the belt had credibility. The whole point would be for Cena and HHH to put over those titles and then put over someone for a title that then met something. They absolutely need to use the stars they have left to get the belts over so the promotion has something to build on when they leave again.

It never works like that though, in 2001 the IC title was a big deal when Triple H had it then a month later Albert had it and it meant nowhere near as much

If Cena won the US Title and then dropped it to an up and coming heel then the belt wouldn't mean anymore than before he had it, likewise the most likely thing to happen to the IC title is that a face will win it off Rhodes when they decide he's ready to move up to main events and the strap will be near enough worthless again

I wouldn't mind but for some reason the IC title was always my favourite when I was a kid, probably because of that fucking great picture of Bret Hart with it on his shoulder that was on the cover off WWF Magazine but the last time I actually thought the belt meant anything was when Orton had it

• Paid Members

The titles work best being at different levels and being landmarks in a career. The US and IC title should be and have always worked best as a level below the WWE and World belts but a stepping stone towards those and bigger and better things. Title and performer should compliment each other and the wrestlers development/growth. Cena and Triple H are so, so far above that status it would be s completely nonsensical, futile exercise you are suggesting.

I personally feel the IC and US titles have been handled relatively well in the past year or so with Dolph and Cody and a better example of your idea has been put into action with Booker challenging Cody Rhodes for the IC title.

If Triple H and John Cena held the IC and US belts then your theory dictates that there would then be three major titles? But you'd unify the World and WWE titles because two is too many?

No the world title would always be the ultimate goal and wrestlers would behave as much, however they'd be proud to wear the IC and US belts and matches would always matter.

The titles work best being at different levels and being landmarks in a career. The US and IC title should be and have always worked best as a level below the WWE and World belts but a stepping stone towards those and bigger and better things. Title and performer should compliment each other and the wrestlers development/growth. Cena and Triple H are so, so far above that status it would be s completely nonsensical, futile exercise you are suggesting.

But they're not at the moment - I mean how the hell did that Swagger/Ryder title switch portray anyone in a positive light? Yep it is a risk but moving to a situation where Cena and others cared about titles and win/loss records would help everyone and putting the belts on them would be an attempt to do that and have them in serious programmes with other up and coming wrestlers would be sensible. That's the way I look at the Intercontinental belt between 91 and 92 - Hennig/Piper putting over an up and coming Hart and then Michaels doing the same. Then Survivor Series had them facing off. Short term it did fuck all in the ratings but longer term it had all sorts of positives over the next five years with them having top liners who Austin could fire through when he caught fire.

The last ten Intercontinental championship reigns have been as follows:

Chris Jericho (Won it around two-and-a-half years ago)

Rey Mysterio

John Morrison

Drew McIntyre

Kofi Kingston

Dolph Ziggler

Kofi Kingston

Wade Barrett

Ezekiel Jackson

Cody Rhodes.

The last ten United States championship reigns have been as follows:

The Miz (Won it around two-and-a-half years ago)

Bret Hart

R-Truth

The Miz

Daniel Bryan

Sheamus

Kofi Kingston

Dolph Ziggler

Zack Ryder

Jack Swagger

I don't know how you can complain at either of those lists. Putting those two belts on stars at the level of John Cena or Triple H would be so detrimental to both the wrestlers and the titles. The belts are treated better than so many people give them credit for. If the US and IC titles were only going to be put on the likes of Hunter or Cena, what would the wrestlers whose names have been mentioned above compete for? You'd then have three or four (depending on whether you unified the WWE/World titles) main event belts and nothing but the tag titles further down the card.

I'm sorry but I just can't see any upside to it.

I don't know how you can complain at either of those lists.

Jesus I can't even remember half of those. On the US [edit] side the last thing that felt high profile (putting aside the sideshow of the Ryder chants and reaction in MSG) is the Miz Bryan feud when it looked and felt like something important that was built on real hatred and a respect for the belt. Then they decided Bryan needed to earn his stripes on a losing run.

I know there is a lot more TV but is there anything there that matches up to Hennig or Piper vs Hart or Michaels/Ramon feuds? Different era but the definition of what's good is the same.

Nah. I disagree.

And that's your prerogative, but you are Very Fucking Wrong. Any title held by Midcard Jericho is going to be infinitely less prestigious than a title on the same show held by megastars like John Cena and Triple H. Your plan achieves nothing other than diminishing the world title. Oh, and possibly the careers of two of the biggest stars in wrestling history, if anyone took their midcard title reigns seriously, though nobody would.

Yes, they are two very different eras and the titles do very different jobs now.

What you are comparing it to is back when the Intercontinental title was the second belt in the company. Now you've got two World titles so you would need to compare HBK/Ramon to either feuds around the WWE or World (depending on which you consider the number two belt) titles for a fair comparison at such high-profile feuds.

Times change and the WWE machine is a very different beast in so many ways now. The mid-card (US and IC) belts don't warrant being fought over in a Rock/Austin-like fashion.

If they put the Intercontinental title on Hogan back in the day it would have been shat on.

Archived