Over-hyped films that let you down

cobra_gordo

I know there are plenty of best and worst film threads and discussions going on but this is something I was thinking of the other day. Every year movies come out and are built up and hyped but when they finally arrive are just plain dissapointing, they're not necessarily even crap films but after such big build ups I find it more annoyiing for a film to miss the mark that be an outright turd.

I remember when The Mothman Prophecies came out there was a ton of internet hype about it, that it was based on true events and all that sort of crap. My then girlfriend had been obsessing over it for months saying that it was going to be incredible and she dragged me to the cinema to see it, against my better judgement. For the first 3 quarters of the film there was a really tense atmosphere in the cinema and the film seemed to be really building up to something and then.....meh. Something about a bridge. It could have been made in to a pretty scary horror film but it was just Richard Gere running about for an hour and a half.

My Mrs just dragged me to see the new Twilight movie which I was pretty let down by. I'm not going to go on the cliched rant about "Eurgh, they're all shit kids movies" because I honestly quite enjoyed the others, even though I was bribed in to doing so. I think had they have been a little bit more violent and darker (i.e make it True Blood:The Movie) they'd have been lavished with praise because the story is pretty good. The new one however- what the actual fuck was all that about? Some other bribed husbands I know had been taken to see it and were saying it was awesome, if I wanted to see the gory aftermath of two teenage kids's misjudged sexual antics I'd have stood outside the Doncaster maternity ward for an hour and a half. It just made no sense to me. Ok, I get that it's leading up to part 2 but shouldn't it at least have some merit of it's own? To me it was just uneventful wedding scene, drawn out will they/won't they scene, girl gets knocked up scene, girl gets turned in to a vampire in the last second of the movie and then it ends as shit starts getting interesting.

I've probably forgotton a few more which I'll add on later.

So, over to you. What are your dissapointing movies?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Matrix - Empire went on for months about this 'revolutionary action movie' and it turned it to be poorly acted, derivative, nonsensical load of drivel. About as revolutionary as Judy Finnegan. I'm still baffled to this day by the love for it, I think it's complete shit.

The Expendables. I remember getting so excited about this film, especially with the cast. I've watched it twice and fell asleep twice. Not nearly enough action as I expected, and a pointless dull love stroy thrown in the mix.

I'm falling in the same trap again though as I watched The Expendables 2 trailer yesterday, and again I'm excited about the cast. I hope I'm not left dissapointed with it.

• Moderators
The Matrix - Empire went on for months about this 'revolutionary action movie' and it turned it to be poorly acted, derivative, nonsensical load of drivel. About as revolutionary as Judy Finnegan. I'm still baffled to this day by the love for it, I think it's complete shit.

I didn't know anything about it when I went to see it and thought it was good fun. The years of people bleating on about it after like it was the best film ever and the couple rubbish sequels it spawned convinced me that it must have actually been shit. Then I happened to catch it on TV like a year ago and found that it was pretty decent and has aged well and it is surprisingly good for a film with an awful actor in the male lead and a pretty ugly female lead.

The finest legacy of that film for me was something I noticed when watching a documentary about hackers a couple years on, and every single one of those fat nerds was wearing a black trenchcoat. Brilliant.

Indiana Jones' Crystal Skull and Terminator 3 are probably the biggest disappointments I've had in recent years. I really wanted to enjoy them so much to the extent that I tried to convince myself I had when I left the cinema. But really I just felt bitter and angry.

See I really loved that movie. I was 15 at the time, snuck my mate in to the pictures to see it and I thought it was amazing even if it does lag a bit in the middle. I'll still watch it if its on tv as it brings up some nice nostalgic memories. The sequels were garbage though. Because I loved the first one so much I was really chuffed to hear about the second one which turned out to be a festering shit of a film. I dodn't even bother watching the third because of that movie.

Indiana Jones' Crystal Skull and Terminator 3 are probably the biggest disappointments I've had in recent years. I really wanted to enjoy them so much to the extent that I tried to convince myself I had when I left the cinema. But really I just felt bitter and angry.

A-fucking-men on both counts there dude.

• Paid Members
The Expendables. I remember getting so excited about this film, especially with the cast. I've watched it twice and fell asleep twice. Not nearly enough action as I expected, and a pointless dull love stroy thrown in the mix.

I'm falling in the same trap again though as I watched The Expendables 2 trailer yesterday, and again I'm excited about the cast. I hope I'm not left dissapointed with it.

They really didn't put any effort into the script. If they had really wanted to get the 80s action vibe they should have got Shane Black to write the script, It could have been amazing

Suckerpunch for me. The early released images were hinting at a dark, steampunk themed action film. What we got was a jumbled mess of a film that failed at everything

• Paid Members
The Inbetweeners Movie - Heard nothing but good reviews about this, but it was like a slightly less shit version of Kevin & Perry Go Large. In fact, I can't remember laughing. :(

I'm not Inbetweeners fan but let's face it, there hasn't been a good film based on a sitcom since Steptoe And Son Ride Again.

Empire went on for months about the sequels for sure, the original barely got a passing mention if memory serves. It literally got one line in their upcoming movies for that year and a small box 4 star review when it came out. I've not got my 1998/9 Empire's any more to double check though and online gives it a gushing 5 star review

I was upset by the Expendables, not because of the lack of plot, because this is expected in dodgy action films, but because of the CGI usage which completely killed it for me. What made the action films of the 1980's/ early 1990's were that SFX were practical where possible, and that CGI was kept to minor SFX and computer display screens in general. This was just meh of the highest order

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull wasnt utterly horrendous, I just dont class it as an Indy movie, even though it is. I keep thinking that its a Mummy sequel and this some how makes it better in my mind's eye. Terminator 3 was horrendous apart from the very bleak ending. Took me years to pluck up the courage to watch it, because I knew Id probably be dissapointed when I did

Others films that were over hyped and let me down include, Donnie Darko, Talented Mr Ripley, The Bourne Sequels ( I still prefer the original), Anchorman, Batman Begins and Oldboy

Avatar - I did not like this movie one bit. Cheesier than Titanic with some lame eco message tacked on.

I don't know why I hate it so much. EDIT: Maybe it was forced down everyones throats when it came out.

Transformers.

From the straight up action packed, epilepsy inducing war of the cartoon film from the 80

• Paid Members
The Dark Knight has to be it for me. Hearing loads of people go on about how good it was, and also being someone who absolutely loved Batman Begins, I was disappointed when it turned out to be just some average movie with high points.

Totally agree with this. The total over-reaction to what was a very average performance by Heath Ledger didn't do it any favours either.

The Dark Knight has to be it for me. Hearing loads of people go on about how good it was, and also being someone who absolutely loved Batman Begins, I was disappointed when it turned out to be just some average movie with high points.

Totally agree with this. The total over-reaction to what was a very average performance by Heath Ledger didn't do it any favours either.

You've got to admit that whole opening sequence is incredible though. After that it's a bit downhill. I do love that bit when the truck does a backflip though.

Archived