Over-hyped films that let you down

cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
First two that spring to mind are LOTR and Star Wars which are utter dogshit.

Also Godfather.

I'm going to agree with this. While The Two Towers and Return Of The King were very good, The Fellowship Of The Ring was a chore to watch. The only good thing about the entire Star Wars saga is when TV shows spoof it.

As for The Godfather, there have been two occasions where I've tried to watch it, both times it's put me to sleep.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how you say that after a discussion of Michael Bay. If Transformers 2 is at one end of the "ooh action" scale, then The Godfather is at the other. Michael Bay exists because some people get bored if there's not an explosion every 5 minutes.

Im not keen on the Godfather films, they drag on and on and on and on, and dont really do anything for me. I just dont get the love. I wont say they are over hyped because not everyone will ram them down your throat as being the best ever and you must have to watch this film on pain of death. Just not keen to watch them again.

As for Michael Bay Films that are good ( and for some I use the term streniously) The Rock, Armageddon....

• Moderators

Once Upon A Time in America would probably qualify for this for me, but that's only because the film's 9 days long. 11 when it's shown on TV with ads. I'm not sitting through a film for that long and still going to be able to enjoy it.

• Paid Members
Once Upon A Time in America would probably qualify for this for me, but that's only because the film's 9 days long. 11 when it's shown on TV with ads. I'm not sitting through a film for that long and still going to be able to enjoy it.

I was juuuuuuuuuuuust about to post this. It's also disjointed, confusing and the ending was frustrating.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

You've just sat through 11 days of an opium trip.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I'm assuming "Star Wars is dogshit" comes from the thought process "I've never seen this Star Wars series people go on about. I'll give it a go. Which of these six films here in HMV should I start with? Hmm, I guess 'Episode 1' seems the logical starting point."

I'm assuming "Star Wars is dogshit" comes from the thought process "I've never seen this Star Wars series people go on about. I'll give it a go. Which of these six films here in HMV should I start with? Hmm, I guess 'Episode 1' seems the logical starting point."

Haha, yeah, even I was disapointed by Episode I at first but actually over time it's grown on me. I even like Jar Jar Binks to an extent, it's Jake Llloyd that fucks me off ("Master Qui Gon, what's a midichlorian?" FUCK YOU NOOB!!!). I'd always say go straight for Empire, you don't particularly need to have seen A New Hope to understand what's happening and it's the firs thing I show non fans or first timers because it packs a ton more punch than Episode IV and really leaves you satisfied but still wanting more at the end. I fucking love that flick.

Irvin Kershner, King of the Sequels. Robocop 2 was bloody good too. If only Lucas had hired him for Return and the 3 Prequels. Lucas must be a shoe-in for the worst successful director of all time. Pity, as American Graffiti is really good!

Also Godfather.

Stop trolling Fox Piss, it's pathetic. Godfather is a cinematic masterpiece that boasts great performances by a superb cast. Godfather 2 is even better!

• Paid Members

I did mean the whole Star Wars and LOTR series.

Obviously there is loads of over hyped films that I've watched that are in fact shit (To me.) Just a glance around my floor and i see Inglorious Bastards which i heard great stuff from friends then watched it and thought it was rubbish.

I wasn't Trolling. Ask Green i nominated these fuckers for worst films in his thread.

With The Godfather the story just never gripped me. Didn't even finish the film.

I do admit starting Star Wars with Ep1 due to the fact i went to cinemas to see it. Have watched most of them now and they just bore me to tears but i have little interest in space fantasy so I've never been 2 eager to watch them.

LOTR are a snooze fest.

Stick me down for The Dark Knight as well, I do suspect though it was because of people at my work making out it was Citizen fucking Kane and I didn't care too much for their opinion. Plus I watched it for the first time straight after watching The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford and that film is brilliant.

Also Godfather.

I'm going to agree with this. While The Two Towers and Return Of The King were very good, The Fellowship Of The Ring was a chore to watch. The only good thing about the entire Star Wars saga is when TV shows spoof it.

As for The Godfather, there have been two occasions where I've tried to watch it, both times it's put me to sleep.

The best Star Wars things had no input from George, so many of the books and the whole Old Republic Saga is so much better than the films. Fuck Vader, Revan doesn't even have a voice in the games but is a much better character.

Archived