It Begins - Vignette

KingOfMetal

• Paid Members
Yeah but it still doesn't mean I don't find his schtick dull these days. Like Ian said, the Streak has everything to do with who he's in there with. The last few years he's had Shawn Michaels and Triple H after it, two men who are easy to invest in.

Good shout.

How terrible would it have been if they'd gone with Hunter/Sheamus and Undertaker/Barratt as was pencilled in at one point??

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't there talk of a possible Foley/Taker mania match?

Not really. At his stand-up show in Manchester, Foley said he uses a Plan A/Plan B approach to suggesting storylines for himself. Plan A being "I come back, win the Royal Rumble, and because I don't have a brand, I face both champions in a triple threat and unify the titles." When Vince shot that down, he went the "Well I've got another idea then... A feud with Randy Orton" route, which was what he wanted all along. His current version of that is "I'll come back and end the streak. No? Okay, how about a feud with The Miz?"

• Paid Members
Summer 2000 : Kane turns on Undertaker.

Christ, I completely forgot this even happened. Didn't they have a shit non-match at Summerslam? What was the point of that? They have a rubbish brawl, Taker took Kane's mask, and Kane ran to the back. No bell, no finish, no match. No good.

• Paid Members

Is it worth noting the mask in the Kane video is the 2002 onwards Kane? IMPO the best version of kane also.

As for this video, checked it out finally last night, if its not for the undertaker i couldnt really even name another wrestler who this compliments to be honest.

I could see why Foley Undertaker could be a candidate, considering the history they have and how .. I know it was 15 years ago but they used to tear the house down and it's certainly something Taker would be open too. But Vince doesn't think Mick comes across as fearful any-more and it is a joke so they'd have to build him up over the next few months.

That said if it was a retirement match then surely Taker would go out against a new person to put them over? It'd be pointless adding Triple H to the mix and saying "Triple H, multiple time World Champion, GrandSlam Champion, COO, and he retired the Undertaker", he doesn't need such a kick.

By the same token, "Undertaker -- retired by Tim Prolapse, who left wrestling six months later to be a jockey" wouldn't sound too great, either.

True, but at least there is a possible upside to a newish bloke beating the streak. There is no upside to Triple H doing it, as his profile in wrestling can't really be raised any more than it already is!

It's more the WWE way of doing things too. Shawn Michaels wasn't retired by John Morrison, he was retired by Taker. Flair was retired by Michaels, and so on. It's not about giving the rub, it's about protecting the legacy. HHH is never going to leave for MMA or something, so he'll always use and respect the honour of retiring Taker.

It's more the WWE way of doing things too. Shawn Michaels wasn't retired by John Morrison, he was retired by Taker. Flair was retired by Michaels, and so on. It's not about giving the rub, it's about protecting the legacy. HHH is never going to leave for MMA or something, so he'll always use and respect the honour of retiring Taker.

Exactly. Stuff like Undertaker's WrestleMania legacy is far more important than placating the "PUSH DA YOUNG GUYZ (not the ones with muscles though)" twerps. Ending the streak alone won't make a career anyway -- Austin, Rock, Hogan, Cena, Orton, Batista, Foley, Hart, Michaels, HHH, Goldberg, Warrior, Sting etc have all made fine livings out of wrestling without ending Undertaker's streak. There are plenty of other ways for someone new to get signature wins without risking an embarrassing ending to the greatest legacy in WrestleMania history. And that's the rub. By the time someone can be trusted with it, they don't need it.

Stuff like Undertaker's WrestleMania legacy is far more important than placating the "PUSH DA YOUNG GUYZ (not the ones with muscles though)" twerps.

Once again you respond to comments that no-one has made. Stop fighting against 2003s internet fans!

Personally I think either they leave the streak as it is and have no-one ever beat him, or they give the honour to someone on the verge of superstardom. There is no point in letting an already established megastar like Triple H to do it, as it adds nothing to their value.

They can be scared until the end of time of someone "doing a Lesnar" and fucking off, or they could take the plunge more often and try making some new permanent top-line talent. Taker's streak will be 20 this year, no matter if he loses in the future or not, it will always be the greatest Wrestlemania streak of all time!

I think we'll get an ending similar to last years, where 'Taker can barely move after the match. He goes over, nearly dies doing so, druids come out and carry him off into retirement.

as long as the druids dont cart him off on the back of a mobile-stretcher like this year, that looked silly. hopefully the props dept can fashion together something cool.

• Paid Members

While it's almost certainly Undertaker, watching back some of Batista's old stuff has me really hoping for some reason he's decided he fancies a Wrestlemania pay-day. Batista Vs. CM Punk for the title, or Batista Vs. Henry...perhaps another Undertaker Vs. Batista bout...Triple H Vs. Big Dave...

Loads of potential great, fresh feuds for him heading into 2012.

While it's almost certainly Undertaker, watching back some of Batista's old stuff has me really hoping for some reason he's decided he fancies a Wrestlemania pay-day. Batista Vs. CM Punk for the title, or Batista Vs. Henry...perhaps another Undertaker Vs. Batista bout...Triple H Vs. Big Dave...

Loads of potential great, fresh feuds for him heading into 2012.

Or even Big Dave vs. Daniel Bryan would be cool but I feel when Batista comes back and he will do at some point in the future I'm sure I just hope it's not as a babyface his heel work in his last run was great and nearly every face on the roster feels like a fresh match up really maybe expect Orton and Cena.

Archived