Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

The only issue I had with SKY was in the setup, they cancelled the order without me knowing. It was meant to start on Monday 2nd of this month (just moved in), I phoned them them saying I still hadn't got any signal through, they said I received a text saying the order was cancelled. Let me just repeat that there, THEY told ME that I received a text. I told them no such text arrived to which the woman just thought I was being argumentative as she got a bit sharp. I asked her if she thought I would be phoning her asking why it wasn't on if I already received a text. Logic prevailed and she told me it was a system issue - for those who are unsure, a system issue means they have no idea what went on and it is the easiest thing to say to get the least amount of questions. So she said she would re-do it and we had to wait another 10 days, now she also sent out a new SKY Hub (which I told her I didn't want or need as I already had one), so when I saw the ticket from the Royal Mail I just didn't go and collect it and it was sent back to them but they still charged me another £7 for the delivery. Another phone call, got it taken off at least.

Anyway, apart from that, the signal itself has been very good. Getting 30+Mbps continuously when connected and I did a speed test on my phone and it was 22Mbps. Never drops out either. Overall bad initial service but now it is all set up, it is going really well and streaming great, even the Network hasn't stopped to buffer once.

The best ISP I've been with was Utility Warehouse for this sort of thing.  Absolutely no buffering issues whatsoever on the Network, and I even got the advertised speeds which nobody ever seems to get.  Much better than the shower of shit that is EE which starts buffering every few seconds as soon as the clock hits 5pm.

Just seen an advert on Sky for Survivor Series and it's priced at £19.95. Who the fuck is going to pay 20 quid for that kind of card. Their selling point is Taker in a tag match. Surely nobody watches the PPV's via Box Office these days.

Sometimes the overall pay-per-view buyrates are still surprisingly strong. I don't know how much of that comes from this country anymore, but there are still older people who don't trust the internet in place of cable/satellite. My mate's new daddy breaks out in a rash every time they mention cancelling Sky and just watching football on internet streams, because he hasn't been able to wrap his head around any technology that came after about 1992.

The BT Hub 5 is notorious for connection drop outs.  Their Hub 2 used to connect to everything without hassle. People talk about how Infinity is not as good as it's made out to be, but the real reason is because their latest Hub is shite for wifi connections.

I had this with my Home Hub 3 (I can only get ADSL in my area, despite being a stone’s throw from the city centre). After being with BT for a couple of years, my router just started rebooting itself for no reason. Reported it to BT, said I’d need a new router but as I was out of the 12-month warranty, would need to buy a new one. Could either buy a new Home Hub 3 for £10, or Home Hub 4 for £15. Asked what the difference was between the two, they said the Home Hub 4 could handle more connected devices. I’m thinking a couple of computers, a couple of iPhones, an iPad, and a PS3, may be worthwhile, so ponied up for the Home Hub 4.

It arrived. It rebooted randomly as well.

Reported it, they then said it might be the filters, so they sent some out. I then asked if I could get a refund and return the new router, and I’d go back to my Home Hub 3. “Oh, no. We can only handle one order on your account at a time. You’ll have to wait until the filters arrive before you can return the Home Hub.” Wasn’t happy as I had 14 days to return the router, so posited to them: “So you want me to wait for some filter, before I can send this router back, possibly putting me outside of the 14-day return period?” A woman phoned me back and apologised, said she’d refund the charge and that I could keep the router.

The filters came and still, my Hub kept rebooting itself. Back on the phone to BT: “Oh, well the next step would be to send an engineer, but there would be a charge.” Fed up, told them to forget it. They didn’t have a clue what the problem was as tests were “all fine” their end, and just blindly trying different things in a hope it would work. Cancelled my contract, got on the phone to Plusnet.

“We’ll do you proud.” Like fuck. My router doesn’t reboot. General Internet speeds are alright but playing GTA Online is a chore. Constant lag and rubber-banding. Tried loads of things: coincidentally new router from Plusnet, new filters, port forwarding, putting console in DMZ mode, no difference. I raise the issue with their support team: “Well we’ve had no one else report this report.” So what? That means I’m lying and you’re going to do anything about it? Thanks a lot.

Fuckin’ shitty ISPs.

Main issue is that you went from BT to an ISP owned by BT and expected better service. Plusnet is just BT for't working man, it's no better.

• Paid Members

Main issue is that you went from BT to an ISP owned by BT and expected better service. Plusnet is just BT for't working man, it's no better.

Unfortunately I’m pretty limited to ISPs as a lot have stopped doing ADSL and only offer fibre. I did contemplate TalkTalk, but glad I didn’t in the end after they got hacked by a 15 year old a few weeks ago.

Is there anywhere in this country now that doesn't have a high enough internet speed to not be able to utilise services like the Network and Netflix etc?

Hull, probably.

There's a new thing called a modem. We're getting them soon.

It is a fact we are unable to get BT in Hull however due to the monopoly Kingston Communications has.

Kingston Broadband FTW!!

• Paid Members

The best ISP I've been with was Utility Warehouse for this sort of thing. Absolutely no buffering issues whatsoever on the Network, and I even got the advertised speeds which nobody ever seems to get. Much better than the shower of shit that is EE which starts buffering every few seconds as soon as the clock hits 5pm.

I'm with them now and wholeheartedly concur with the above, on top of the fantastic internet coverage, their wireless router's coverage is belting too, I can take a shit and have no problem with a YouTube video whereas with BTs Infinity box had me switching to 3 for online connection.

Is there anywhere in this country now that doesn't have a high enough internet speed to not be able to utilise services like the Network and Netflix etc?

I was told that to stream standard definition content, you need speeds of at least 2Mbps, I have rarely dropped below this to test it though. My thinking would be fans who want to see it but don't have a strong enough internet connection for the Network perhaps.

Quite a fair bit around my neck of the woods. The general urban/rural population profile in Northern Ireland is much closer to that with the Republic than with Britain. In Britain around 12% of the population is classified as living in a rural area. In NI it's over 35%. And in the council area I live in, it is close to 70%! As you could imagine this puts a spanner in the works in getting xDSL broadband to quite a few spots. FTTC or BT Infinity is fairly widespread (my parents have had it since 2011) and is available in the main towns and most villages, but it's those who live out in the open countryside at least 1.5 to 2 miles from the nearest town or village that are getting left behind, FTTC isn't possible and most struggle to get 1-1.5 Meg download speed, some can't get anything as the phone line is too long from the exchange. There is a fixed wireless provider locally but it's regarded as a bad joke with terrible customer support and a service that goes down more often than your neighbourhood slut despite getting funding from Stormont. Mobile internet via 3G or 4G is very much a limited option with EE or 3 with their download caps unless you're willing to fork out a large amount each month (and forget about O2 or Vodafone unless money is no object) but even 2G coverage can by patchy in many places; and that's outdoors. Different reports I've read state that anything from 10% to 22% of properties in my area aren't able to get a DSL service that provides the minimum 2Mb/s download speed that the government have proposed as a USO. Meanwhile looking over the border, the main telecom incumbent Eir (née Eircom & Telecom Éireann) as well as Vodafone are rolling out Fibre to the Home quite quickly and plan to even reach fairly remote communities by the end of this decade, with some places also getting local fibre networks from private ISPs. The vision there is a lot more forward thinking meanwhile back north BT are still stuck in the mindset of having copper wire as king, and they'll ring every last drop out of it until they're forced to either by regulation or by an eventually savvy population that want services that BTs rusting network can't provide them with.

News coming out that Anonymous has found internet communications between ISIS listing the Survivor Series as a potential terrorist target.

Just Smark fans trying to top "if cena wins we riot"