Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I've said it before but there's going to be a period in the near future where the modern wrestling style catches up with everybody. Necks, backs, brain injuries. They're going to be in wheelchairs or worse. How the fuck Mick Foley can still walk on two feet is beyond me.

The modern style is balanced out a bit by getting more days off and by WWE using softer rings. They changed them in 1998, I think. Also by the wellness policy not letting everyone be drugged up to the nines working injured. The sort of injuries that mean eight months on the shelf these days would have just meant pills and tape it up in the Hogan era.

• Paid Members

Great spot by mookieghana: WWE filed a lawsuit to stop counterfeit merchandise being sold around the WrestleMania venue. Among the lawsuit is a buildings booking calendar:

CCPrd4yWgAEsV46.jpg

Note the listed capacity for a show that they claimed drew 76,976.

• Paid Members

You can't just make up 10,000 people can you, wouldn't that be really obvious? Is it not just the case that it's the number of tickets they had sold at the time they compiled the document? It obviously isn't the true attendance as the suit was filed over 10 days before WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

These appear to be the actual capacities for the various building set-ups they have, not the number of tickets they sold.

They regularly exaggerate by around 10,000 these days for WrestleMania. There was one year they literally added exactly 10,000 to the real number. Because closing off end sections for the stage far outweighs the number of seats on the floor, they have to bump it up to this degree if they want to come up with a number that's higher than a football game can draw.

• Paid Members

Vince was once asked about the WrestleMania III attendance in a conference call and he claimed "those numbers are for entertainment purposes only." The punches aren't real, the moves arent real, the attendance isn't real is what they try to say. Like the announced number is part of the story or some shit. Every year its bullshit. Like that whole "The Rolling Stones did 80,000. The Pope did 88,000. Andre vs Hulk did 93,000. Fuck the Pope and Keith Richards" stuff. Its all wrestling bullshit.

Its only WWE who can do it really. I cant imagine TNA announcing that they've drawn 10,000 people because the people came dressed as chairs and black curtains.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

It's mad that they can get away with fake numbers for attendances, but not for network subscriptions and that kind of stuff. What's the difference? Is it giving a few seconds (well, about two hours this year) on the WrestleMania card to announcing the fake number that allows them to qualify it as entertainment? They should just have Triple H and Stephanie come down on Raw and go "we've got six million network subscribers because of us" if so. I don't get how they manage to get away with only using the fake Mania attendance, do shareholders just not ask the real one?

• Paid Members

The stock holders know the score apparently. The stadiums WWE run release the real attendances to trade journals and stuff. Attendance is generally not something the fans care for anyway. The hate watchers generally know WWE lie about these things and always have. WWE lying about the attendance is one of those generally accepted things they've done since we were kids. If WWE started lying about the network numbers, there would probably be hell on.

Saying that, they did massively exaggerate that potential customer thing they did before the network started. What was it? 11 million potential WWE fans in the States or something mental?

I wouldn't say it's just WWE releasing wrong attendance figures. I've been at Celtic Park plenty for instance and the attendance is sometimes announced as 45,000 when there is probably only about 30-35,000 there.

Not exactly sure where to post this, but it seems that Eva Marie is getting some training from Brian Kendrick to try and become a competent wrestler.

https://instagram.com/natalieevamarie/

Head Scissors https://instagram.com/p/1R2kl_mzSZ/?taken-by=natalieevamarie

Snap Suplex https://instagram.com/p/1ME0wVmzUc/?taken-by=natalieevamarie

I say good luck to her.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Eva Marie wasn't trained when she was doing matches. She had the bare minimal instructions at the performance centre, but it was no different from Snooki wrestling and being told to do the odd spot. They just stuck her out there. Its not the craziest idea in the world that with proper training she'd become decent. Why not? Trish did. Victoria did. And those two were ex models with zero experience prior. Eva Marie wasn't shit because she was a brain dead loon. She was shit because she hadnt been told how to be a wrestler yet. She was hired because she looked good and they didnt tits on Total Divas.