Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Apparently WWE have signed Luchador La Sombra.

Anyone wanna enlighten me - he any good?

From the handful of times I saw him in New Japan, I marked him down as a solid if unspectacular hand. Did a springboard in every match and didn't fuck any up.

Oh, he had a really good match with Nakamura. But that doesn't prove anything.

• Paid Members

EDIT: re: La Sombra.

Very good, yeah.

Started as one of numerous skinnyboy interchangeable masked flying technicos that CMLL filled their cards with in the late 00s/early 10s in their efforts to replicate their success with the original Mistico. Then gained size and one of the more impressive physiques in Mexico and developed more personality.

In-ring-wise he's one of the more spectacular performers. His never-ending series of matches with Volador Jr. had little in the way of psychology, but were good examples of big-move-highspot-nearfall-kick-out-of-everything videogame-style action matches. He's more than that, though, as his role as a bit of a dick in the tweener, i guess, Los Ingobernables the last few years let him show a bit of attitude and swagger.

New Japan liked him, as he's been a top star of the annual Fantasticamania lucha tour and even had a brief run as Intercontinental Champion, having real good bouts with Nakamura (though as 'Raiders' points out... you know...). They seemed to have the idea of making him the masked comic book lucha star that Mil Mascaras was to Japan, but he never went with them full time (he's apparently always had an eye on a WWE run).

He just lost his mask to Atlantis in the biggest lucha match of 2015 (which was superb, by the way), and that's readily available on YouTube. It's actually a great showcase for seeing him in a more grounded, paced match that still includes all his top flying spots, so if you were wanting to see what he's about that's where I would point you.

Edited by Big Benny HG

Just seen an advert on Sky for Survivor Series and it's priced at ÂŁ19.95. Who the fuck is going to pay 20 quid for that kind of card. Their selling point is Taker in a tag match. Surely nobody watches the PPV's via Box Office these days.

Edited by The Clint

• Paid Members

Just seen an advert on Sky for Survivor Series and it's priced at ÂŁ19.95. Who the fuck is going to pay 20 quid for that kind of card. Their selling point is Taker in a tag match. Surely nobody watches the PPV's via Box Office these days.

Even moreso when you take into account you can sign up to the network for a month.

Is there anywhere in this country now that doesn't have a high enough internet speed to not be able to utilise services like the Network and Netflix etc?

I was told that to stream standard definition content, you need speeds of at least 2Mbps, I have rarely dropped below this to test it though. My thinking would be fans who want to see it but don't have a strong enough internet connection for the Network perhaps.

I imagine you get schoolkids wanting to watch a replay accounting for a lot of Sky Box Office sales, a group chuck 4 or 5 quid together each and ask one parent, the parent is more likely to do that than bother signing up for the network and have to put personal details in etc.

• Paid Members

Is there anywhere in this country now that doesn't have a high enough internet speed to not be able to utilise services like the Network and Netflix etc?

Hull, probably.

There's a new thing called a modem. We're getting them soon.

I find it odd that all over WWE TV it says that Survivor Series is "only on WW network". I thought I'd misheard at first. Are they really done with PPV now or just lying?

• Paid Members

The BT Hub 5 is notorious for connection drop outs.  Their Hub 2 used to connect to everything without hassle. People talk about how Infinity is not as good as it's made out to be, but the real reason is because their latest Hub is shite for wifi connections.

I had this with my Home Hub 3 (I can only get ADSL in my area, despite being a stone’s throw from the city centre). After being with BT for a couple of years, my router just started rebooting itself for no reason. Reported it to BT, said I’d need a new router but as I was out of the 12-month warranty, would need to buy a new one. Could either buy a new Home Hub 3 for £10, or Home Hub 4 for £15. Asked what the difference was between the two, they said the Home Hub 4 could handle more connected devices. I’m thinking a couple of computers, a couple of iPhones, an iPad, and a PS3, may be worthwhile, so ponied up for the Home Hub 4.

It arrived. It rebooted randomly as well.

Reported it, they then said it might be the filters, so they sent some out. I then asked if I could get a refund and return the new router, and I’d go back to my Home Hub 3. “Oh, no. We can only handle one order on your account at a time. You’ll have to wait until the filters arrive before you can return the Home Hub.” Wasn’t happy as I had 14 days to return the router, so posited to them: “So you want me to wait for some filter, before I can send this router back, possibly putting me outside of the 14-day return period?” A woman phoned me back and apologised, said she’d refund the charge and that I could keep the router.

The filters came and still, my Hub kept rebooting itself. Back on the phone to BT: “Oh, well the next step would be to send an engineer, but there would be a charge.” Fed up, told them to forget it. They didn’t have a clue what the problem was as tests were “all fine” their end, and just blindly trying different things in a hope it would work. Cancelled my contract, got on the phone to Plusnet.

“We’ll do you proud.” Like fuck. My router doesn’t reboot. General Internet speeds are alright but playing GTA Online is a chore. Constant lag and rubber-banding. Tried loads of things: coincidentally new router from Plusnet, new filters, port forwarding, putting console in DMZ mode, no difference. I raise the issue with their support team: “Well we’ve had no one else report this report.” So what? That means I’m lying and you’re going to do anything about it? Thanks a lot.

Fuckin’ shitty ISPs.

Edited by Your Fight Site