Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Dreamer's apparent distance from reality reminds me of Honky Tonk Man ranting in one of his numerous RF shoot interviews about how Titan Towers was uber secure and you can't get from one part of the building to another without a keycard. Just like practically every other office I've ever set foot in, but if you don't know better you can make a big story outta it.

Haha, that's great! I've got a brilliant mental picture in my head now of a frustrated Honky in full gimmick stuck at an office door waiting for someone to come along so he can tailgate in.

So Justin Roberts has been trashing WWE, apparently he's been saying that the fans deserve better than the garbage they give them every Monday night. Also reckons the WWE is dying a slow death.

Funny how he said it was his dream job and he couldn't believe he got paid for it, he also sent endless tweets about how much he loved the company.

That was of course until he got fired. Sour grapes Justin?

He's a good friend of Punk, wouldn't be surprised if all the drama of the WWE lawsuit has contributed to his feelings somewhat.

What Tommy Dreamer fails to understand - so many of those locked into "old" media do - is that very few people want to steal. People will pay a fair price for something if they want it. The trick is negotiating that fair price. $15 for a live PPV seems fair. But then you should also make it available very soon afterwards as a download for a fraction of that. $1 from 66,000 people is better than nothing.

But then no one would be the $15 show and just wait for the $1 show, meaning that he'll be running at a loss (which he most likely is anyway). How far do you think $66k would go when you have to pay for the building, cameras, your ring and everyone on the show.

• Paid Members

The profit comes from the autograph signings and meet and greets before the show. Those types of shows where you fill the card up with WWE and TNA wrestlers are a business model. The iPPV is just a bonus where they hope they get a few extra quid from it. Dreamer and PWS and those types of shows I imagine make money because its more or less a fanfest with a wrestling show added to it. That's why Dreamer has booked Edge and Ric Flair and guys like that, even though they aren't going to be appearing on his shows.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

There will always be people willing to pay a premium to watch something live. As I said, it's a balancing act: these "thieves" are potential customers and it's a smart man who can monetise that. I'm not saying it's easy or everyone would be doing it, but it is possible and essential if you want to be in the entertainment business these days.

Hulk Hogan has been the latest victim of a twitter prank. Someone asked him if he could RT a pic of their niece who had just won a hide and seek competition and was also a fan of him.  Turns out the picture was Maddie McCann

Edited by Glass Smash

There will always be people willing to pay a premium to watch something live. As I said, it's a balancing act: these "thieves" are potential customers and it's a smart man who can monetise that. I'm not saying it's easy or everyone would be doing it, but it is possible and essential if you want to be in the entertainment business these days.

I'm surprised a company like TWC/Fight Network/Silver Vision didn't transition into an online on-demand PPV platform that worked as a broker (iTunes style) for indie promotions from around the world. I know there are smaller sites out there but I'm talking about something with a decent amount of backing and a top-end user interface. I was more than willing to pay for WK9 but it was so much of a ball ache that I ended up streaming it illegally. Same with a lot of indie feds, it's just so much more convenient to stream them or download them at a later date; it's certainly not down to the pricing, although the pricing structure really needs working upon.

I think a three-tier pricing system could work for online 'broadcasts'. $15 or so to watch live and over the following 3 days. $5 for the next month. $1 per view after one month (they could even sell ad spots for the $1 views, or you pay $3 and watch it in HD/ad free).

If there was a decent legal site I could log onto and watch old ROH, PWG, CZW, British, and Japanese shows I'd be well happy to shell out a couple of quid to watch them. Fuck paying a monthly subscription for ROH or whoever when I'm in two minds about even subscribing to the WWE Network longtime. I think companies need to be careful offering a subscription service when you can pay £6 for Netflix, because that's who they'll be compared to. They're best charging per view and splitting the profits with the wrestling feds. Have a merch store on there too, and split the profits again.

So how has Hogan caused a stir?

For those who don't know what I'm on about, There seems to be a silly thing on Twitter which involves duping celebrities to RT photos of usually a notorious killer (Fred and Rosemary West and Myra Hindly have been used in the past for example) saying something happened like they're a recently deceased relative or they're pretty ill. Obviously, someone took a spin on it by claiming it's a renowned missing person case. It now appears he's been duped with Raoul Moat. Though not for the first time.