Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

This other geezer hasn't got the trademark for ECW, he's just applied for it and its under review. WWE appears to have forgotten to renew it after a fixed period.

It's not simply a case of trademarks expiring and being up for grabs to the first person who registers them. A trademark isn't in itself the "ownership" of a particular term, it's just a government recognition that your claim is valid, which you prove by prior use. WWE can dispute this guy's claim (which has no basis) and the application should be tossed, allowing WWE to reregister it.

Not 100% sure if this is true as he only has this application on file, but there's a suspicion he's a patent troll who just tries to register any name that's "expired" in the hope the rightful owners find it cheaper to pay him off than to fight it. That's not really an issue when you've got Jerry McDevitt on payroll.

All the trademark being expired/not renewed means is that if somebody uses the ECW name now, WWE would have to go to court and establish their right to be the only ones using it in wrestling (which would be quite straightforward). While the trademark was in force, that would be unnecessary as it would be an open and shut case.

• Paid Members

Why don't wrestlers do the same thing? Its quite insane how wrestlers like the Dudley Boyz don't own their name, when it was invented by Raven and/or Taz, debuted in ECW and the carried over to the WWF by the individuals while ECW was still operating. Surely if these wrestlers challenged it, they would surely gain overship of them. Especially is a court took a once over at those WWE contracts.

Steve Austin is an even better example. He asked WWE in 2004 to use the "Stone Cold" name on a beer manufacturing deal he had going on and WWE wouldn't have any of it unless they were involved. On every WWE DVD they release on Austin, its always mentioned Austin's then wife came up with the name. You would think he could afford to fight it and gain ownership of it.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

If you ever watched Sabu's ECW Timeline, some of his matches from ECW are on it and Feinstein has been selling ECW DVDs for years. ECW is pretty useless anyway these days.

Sean said on the Kayfabe Memories message board that they came to some sort of agreement with Feinstein that would allow them to use ECW footage on the Timeline shows.

• Paid Members

Feinstein's claim on the ECW footage is based on an agreement they made back when RF Video and ECW home video were running more or less as one, I believe. He's been selling them ever since, so imagine he's made a decent chunk off them, especially since they started re-releasing them on DVD and putting new compilations together.

Regarding those Kayfabe Commentary DVD's, I remember them using footage (I forget what of), with "Footage courtesy of YouTube" running along the bottom. Rascals.

An interesting result from one of the big shows in Japan today. I'll put it in a spoiler tag in case there are people who like to watch these shows spoiler free.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Samoa Joe and Magnus became the new GHC Tag Team champions in NOAH.

Also, Daniels failed to win the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members
Why don't wrestlers do the same thing? Its quite insane how wrestlers like the Dudley Boyz don't own their name, when it was invented by Raven and/or Taz, debuted in ECW and the carried over to the WWF by the individuals while ECW was still operating. Surely if these wrestlers challenged it, they would surely gain overship of them. Especially is a court took a once over at those WWE contracts.

Steve Austin is an even better example. He asked WWE in 2004 to use the "Stone Cold" name on a beer manufacturing deal he had going on and WWE wouldn't have any of it unless they were involved. On every WWE DVD they release on Austin, its always mentioned Austin's then wife came up with the name. You would think he could afford to fight it and gain ownership of it.

The WWE contracts say that anything that is created while you are working for WWE belongs to them, even if you come up with it yourself. Nobody's really been able to challenge that because to do so you'd need a shitload of cash and accept you're burning your bridges, and most people in that position don't need to be fighting for the name anyway. Demolition Ax had a go, claiming he developed the gimmick, but lost the case.

• Paid Members

All signs point to Kia "Kharma" Stevens being released from WWE according to a report by Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Stevens, 34, declined to comment at this time when contacted about her contractual status with the company. She had signed with WWE in December 2010 and debuted on May 1, 2011. Her character was then removed from television when she revealed she was pregnant. Stevens publicly admitted to losing the child and then shortly made a surprise return at the 2012 Royal Rumble. This same report by Meltzer stated that some in TNA didn't believe WWE would sign her due to what they described as a "high emotional risk." WWE did not publicly announce her release and instead quietly moved her profile to the Alumni area. Stevens acknowledged this on her Twitter and stated she would not be accepting bookings right now.

Not one match ever for the promotion. Impressive. Maybe TNA might snap her back up?

• Paid Members

I think you answer your own question in your same post, where TNA state she is a high emotional risk. You never know in wrestling obviously, but I think her bridges with the current regime are burnt.

• Paid Members
Stevens publicly admitted to losing the child and then shortly made a surprise return at the 2012 Royal Rumble.

Not one match ever for the promotion.

Well, one.

• Paid Members

It's a fucking shame. I've always loved her, complete beast and looks the part. WWE need a few more non-model types in its lady roster just to mix it up a bit.

If she had been a dick and WWE couldn't work with her, fair play, but seeing as it's based around the fact she was pregnant and lost the child, it's ever so slightly harsh as fuck. The whole 'she shouldn't have got knocked up, she knew what WWE would be like' I have read elsewhere is the biggest pile of shite I have ever heard.

• Paid Members

Why? She signed a contract and immediately got pregnant. Thats, like, a year they paid someone they could do nothing with. If you are planning on starting a family, don't do it as soon as you sign a contract to go on the road full time. WWE should never have signed her after what she did to Bubba The Love Sponge. You can say "he deserved it" all you want, but if he wasn't Hogan's best friend, he'd have sued them over it. He said so on Howard Stern. There's obviously something wrong in the head with this bitch. Also, wasn't there question marks over who the Dad was? Which makes it worse, if she's just letting dudes stick their willies in her.

Personally, I liked Woyzeck's idea of doing a Dawn French off Psychoville gimmick with her. Imagine the comedy they could do with Santino.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Why? She signed a contract and immediately got pregnant. If you are planning on starting a family, don't do it as soon as you sign a contract to go on the road full time. WWE should never have signed her after what she did to Bubba The Love Sponge. You can say "he deserved it" all you want, but if he wasn't Hogan's best friend, he'd have sued them over it. He said so on Howard Stern. There's obviously something wrong in the head with this bitch.

Personally, I liked Woyzeck's idea of doing a Dawn French off Psychoville gimmick with her. Imagine the comedy they could do with Santino.

I think the argument against your point Ian is that it may not have been planned.