New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Holy crap! I actually had those knock off HBK and Diesel ones. I initially began with the Poundland wrestlers as they were all I could afford with pocket money with the occasional car boot bought ones now and then.

On card, they can fetch some coin too.

Ian, if you dig up that Hasbro thread there's loads of interesting craic on there. I added to it when I could and I know Pity posted some interesting stuff. Most of it comes from the wrestlefigs forum, but again, I can't help think that some of the established collectors are running and faking the market.

Let's not forget the fork.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

12 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

The only person from within to shed any light was a bloke called Jeremy, but loads of collectors called him out, saying he wasn't the same bloke who worked for Hasbro at the time etc etc, he disappeared

Surely someone could've lent him a fork.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Diesel's head has just turned up recently:

BC7C5B42-BBE8-4E2D-943B-03D7767059A6.jpg

He looks quite pleased with himself there. Wonder what his body type would have been. Always hated that the big guys were basically the same size as everyone else.

I want to say they'd have put babyface Crush's mold to that head.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

He looks quite pleased with himself there. Wonder what his body type would have been. Always hated that the big guys were basically the same size as everyone else.

I want to say they'd have put babyface Crush's mold to that head.

At least crush had good hair... the fucks going on with that?

• Paid Members

Collectors, answer me this. I just listened to Curt Hawkins on the Sam Roberts podcast, and he mentions that Zack Ryder has this strange habbit of buying all the hasbros and LJN for loads of money and then selling them only the buy them back. What is the appeal there? Is it to get that "buy them for the first time!" feeling back when you purchase them? What's going on there. Is that common?

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

The clear answer is that Zack Ryder is a lunatic. 

I'd say that's the most accurate answer.

Unless Hawkins has got it wrong and what Zack's doing is buying in bulk, hoping that there's that 1 figure he needs or wants, and that sells the rest. Repeats this until he has what he's after.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

The general craic is that people who bought it, including my memories is that came with the orange savage, rather than the green one advertised. That ring too, minus the launch pad flat tops for Fucking hawk and the like.

Are you sure? I know the WCW rings often came with them, but I don't remember any WWF ones, not in the Early Hasbro days at least anyway

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Are you sure? I know the WCW rings often came with them, but I don't remember any WWF ones, not in the Early Hasbro days at least anyway

Mine came with flat tops on the ring posts, with holes for the USA flag to go in.. I think the other poster meant those rather than actual spring activated pads that(like you mentioned) the WCW ring had...

For clarity, the one I had was the blue ring with the sound box and title belt.

• Paid Members

The WCW ring was better, shame it wasn't that little bit bigger. I liked the WWF ring for aesthetic purposes- the colour was much nicer than the WCW ring, but the fucker would split in half within a month of playing with it. Plus, the WCW one had a cage, so I didn't have to use my mum's washing up basket to re-create Hogan/Bossman from SNME.

54 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Mine came with flat tops on the ring posts, with holes for the USA flag to go in.. I think the other poster meant those rather than actual spring activated pads that(like you mentioned) the WCW ring had...

For clarity, the one I had was the blue ring with the sound box and title belt.

There was a beef regarding kids falling on the original LJN ring posts, I believe, and so they switched from the ring in the catalogue to the ring with the flat top posts.

Holy grail-wise, I don't think any orange cards (Diesel, MoM, Jarrett, Booger) are going to show up. The blueprints have, and some lad on the WrestlingFigs forum has drawn them up into badges based on what they would have looked like, but I reckon that's as far as it goes. I think the last 'holy grail' find is probably that Shawn Michaels w/ punch figure. That, and the ring with ring skirt that's in the R'n'B Greg Valentine Toys R Us advert.

One really interesting reveal, made in the last couple of days, was sketches for a 12-inch GI Joe-style Macho Man. This correlates with some unused Macho/Hogan/Undertaker head sculpts found recently. It's based on 92/93 Savage (cowboy hat commentator), suggesting there were plans to release 12-inch versions of Macho, Hogan and Undertaker. This is all on the WrestlingFigs forum anyhoo.

Dead obvious I have unresolved childhood issues with not having all the Hasbros, innit?

The WCW ring had its uses, but with its hard plastic and attached bell it was much noisier to play with.

Though some kids with more understanding parents would consider that a positive.

• Paid Members

To Cod and Nick - No, I did mean Hasbro rings. There were two blue Hasbro ring types, the difference being the post mold and in some cases colour blue/black. The flat top posts that were more common, but there was also a version with a rounded top post. Then there's the yellow KOTR version.

images.jpg

Hasbro_WWF_Ring_1990_Wrestling [1600x1200].jpg

acf3b8d6c8ac105f05c2576ee3dbc8ec.jpg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

That's the JC Penney ad, isn't it, Kaz? Was it ever widely available?

Just curious as to Hasbro availability in the UK towards the end. Were the likes of 123-Kid, Smoking Gunns, white Yoko, ever in the shops?  The last one I remember seeing was Headshrinker Samu in an Argos in about 95. Did anyone ever see the KOTR ring in the shops? I remember a Toys R Us near me (Manchester) having the original ring for ages around '97, until I eventually bought it and accidentally dropped my telly on it like a right twat!!!